Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I think that's a good look. I haven't owned a vest like that in decades and kind of forgot about it.

As of recent years I now tend to enjoy mixing dressy things with casual things, and this makes me wonder if a vest and button down shirt would look good with jeans, Chelsea boots, and a bowler on top.
It sure would. Go for it.

On a slightly related note, I’ve been curious about braces/suspenders. Does anyone wear them? My father hated his as a child, so I was never made to or encouraged to wear them. Obviously it’s subjective, but I’ve read that they’re better than a belt, especially with a waistcoat.
Even I think my experience with suspenders is weird.....I wanted to like them, wanted to wear them. Had two expensive pairs, had the buttons sewn onto my trousers but the damned things gave me a headache. It felt like I had weights on my shoulders pulling them down. Didn't matter if I released some of the tension it still felt like a 20lb weight on my shoulders. Gave up and went back to my belts.

I think that's a good look. I haven't owned a vest like that in decades and kind of forgot about it.

As of recent years I now tend to enjoy mixing dressy things with casual things, and this makes me wonder if a vest and button down shirt would look good with jeans, Chelsea boots, and a bowler on top.
That is one of my go to 'uniforms'. Blue jeans, oxford cloth button down, tweed vest over a leather jacket and a great pair of boots. No bowler on top but I do wear my Homburgs.

That is one of my go to 'uniforms'. Blue jeans, oxford cloth button down, tweed vest over a leather jacket and a great pair of boots. No bowler on top but I do wear my Homburgs.
Exactly a look I was moving towards a couple years back when I had slimmed down some. After putting a lbs few back on… the vests I had bought were no longer fitting… I’ve yet to replace them.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I wear waistcoats a lot, Robert. I find them very stylish. Your double breasted one in the photo is particularly so. Another gem from the hands of your dear lady.
Your cherished compliments have, as always, had my lady getting all embarrassed. Aw shucks, was about the best she replied. Take that as a thank you!
Waistcoat not since my Para Regiment full dress with black vest and red jacket. Yours is spot on.
para.jpg
Is this your Parachute Regiment formal dress? Fab-u-lous!
I started wearing waistcoats fairly regularly about two or three years ago. I wear them both casually and when dressing up a bit. I also now tend towards three piece suits, too.
Photos, photos! Let us see them!
I have a number of them in tweeds. I find them the perfect winter addition under a tweed sports jacket or leather jacket on the mild winter days here on the west coast. They provide body warmth without the bulk plus they look great.
In Tweeds, so Scottish, so original, so elegantly perfect. Is there a photo of them anywhere?

I think that's a good look. As of recent years I now tend to enjoy mixing dressy things with casual things, and this makes me wonder if a vest and button down shirt would look good with jeans, Chelsea boots, and a bowler on top.
How I love the idea of dressy look. Vest, button down shirt, jeans and Chelsea boots, come on, don't be bashful, show us the result!
Even I think my experience with suspenders is weird.....I wanted to like them, wanted to wear them. Had two expensive pairs, had the buttons sewn onto my trousers but the damned things gave me a headache. Gave up and went back to my belts.
C'est la vie, have to admit though, when the trousers have a high rear, braces/suspenders accentuate the style far more than a belt can, but, only if the trousers are made to measure!
Exactly a look I was moving towards a couple years back when I had slimmed down some. After putting a lbs few back on… the vests I had bought were no longer fitting… I’ve yet to replace them.
Don't give up, you always look the part. Perfect!

Your cherished compliments have, as always, had my lady getting all embarrassed. Aw shucks, was about the best she replied. Take that as a thank you!

View attachment 482133
Is this your Parachute Regiment formal dress? Fab-u-lous!

Photos, photos! Let us see them!

In Tweeds, so Scottish, so original, so elegantly perfect. Is there a photo of them anywhere?

How I love the idea of dressy look. Vest, button down shirt, jeans and Chelsea boots, come on, don't be bashful, show us the result!

C'est la vie, have to admit though, when the trousers have a high rear, braces/suspenders accentuate the style far more than a belt can, but, only if the trousers are made to measure!

Don't give up, you always look the part. Perfect!
one Harris tweed, the other a Yorkshire tweed material bought in Brora as a souvenir of Scotland and one Black Watch tartan.. no pictures as yet..

Yamahana

One Too Many
On a slightly related note, I’ve been curious about braces/suspenders. Does anyone wear them? My father hated his as a child, so I was never made to or encouraged to wear them. Obviously it’s subjective, but I’ve read that they’re better than a belt, especially with a waistcoat.
I wear suspenders/braces with my vintage 30s, 40s suits but they are all a high waisted trouser. I think they are the best way to go when you’re wearing high waisted trousers. Matter of fact some don’t have belt loops just buttons for attaching suspenders. But I don’t wear or find them comfortable at all with normal rise trousers. Adds to the overall “”dapper” look when wearing vintage also.

RBH

Bartender

I think it works.
This was this past weekend, Me with Jimmy Pryor of SunBoby Hats.

RdbPdp.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Here's the only one I could find in a hurry.
View attachment 482165
While searching for that, I came across this old photo that I also posted on here sometime back. I've shown you my waistcoat, now I'd like to see your poncho!
View attachment 482164
poncho.JPG
The vest & hat are a great "look." As for a poncho, wasn't that The Cisco Kid's fall guy? Or was that Pancho?
Would you settle for one of the more: "in your face," waistcoats that Tina made, you might need your dark
glasses for some of the others.
waistcoats 003.JPG
011.JPG 005.JPG
The day started with a moss green lid but Tina said that the nutmeg would go better with this shirt.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Vintage Croft & Barrow jacket with either a Lee Blue Label Whippet clone or with a late 40's- early 50's Stetson Whippet.

Attachments

• IMG_20230120_134116_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230120_134116_HDR.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20230120_134624_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230120_134624_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230120_134651_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230120_134651_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20230120_134259_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230120_134259_HDR.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230120_134748_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230120_134748_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230120_134813_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230120_134813_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50

The Shoe

One Too Many
View attachment 482224
The vest & hat are a great "look." As for a poncho, wasn't that The Cisco Kid's fall guy? Or was that Pancho?
Would you settle for one of the more: "in your face," waistcoats that Tina made, you might need your dark
glasses for some of the others.
View attachment 482227
View attachment 482226 View attachment 482225
The day started with a moss green lid but Tina said that the nutmeg would go better with this shirt.
I like that colourful waistcoat a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner