Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Dobbs Forty.

Attachments

• IMG_20230529_170150_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230529_170150_HDR.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20230529_170200_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230529_170200_HDR.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20230529_170228_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230529_170228_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230529_170243_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230529_170243_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40

The Shoe

One Too Many
Plastic Fantastic for the forecast heavy rain yesterday. My polypropylene Akubra Capricorn.
IMG_0848.jpeg

The rain was steady, but not as heavy as forecast. Later in the day, it was announced that my area of Japan had officially entered the rainy season. Sure enough, lots more rain today, so the plastic fantastic will be getting plenty of wear go the foreseeable future.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Mike, how do you rate the Dobbs Forty with some of your other hats?
You’ve acquired quite alot of really really nice hats from many makers recently and i wonder how you rate the Forty in the mix??
Thanks
Bowen
It's a Western style hat, so it can't be compared to my Dobbs Forty dress fedora because it's more of a Western weight felt. It's pretty malleable and the brim isn't terribly stiff. My first impression is that it compares pretty favorably with the softer Stetson 7X Clear Beaver hats of the mid 50's. The mid 50's Stetson might be a little softer in the crown. But I'd say the Dobbs feels at least as good,or better than the late 50's or so Stetson 7X. Unless you'd like me to compare it to something else.

Last edited:
Hut-Schick Wien, possibly later 1920s to mid 1930s. This Stiff Felt is made of Wool. Hut-Schick had three Wien retail locations in this time period and was very well known. I am not sure if Hut-Schick Wien had production facilities at this time but my guess is that this Wool Stiff Felt was sourced or partially sourced. I found this Stiff Felt back in 2014.

52936474391_f082fb098a_h.jpg

52935882532_80e0318f6f_h.jpg

52935885992_31e088740e_h.jpg

52936964898_d1617bbe5a_b.jpg

52936642734_4573b21dd7_h.jpg

Hut-Schick Wien Central Location at Alserbachstrasse 12, photo taken around 1935.

1882771.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Plastic Fantastic for the forecast heavy rain yesterday. My polypropylene Akubra Capricorn.
View attachment 521458
The rain was steady, but not as heavy as forecast. Later in the day, it was announced that my area of Japan had officially entered the rainy season. Sure enough, lots more rain today, so the plastic fantastic will be getting plenty of wear go the foreseeable future.

Nice. I'm wearing my grey Capricorn in Beijing on a work trip this week. Bought mine in 2010. The pleather sweatband in my grey eventually broke down. the surface flaked off, and after a while I just pulled it out rathe than keep getting residue on my head. The textile underneath has held up well to a couple of seasons exposed so far, with no noticeable impact on comfort. Great hat. Also have a fawn one and two in white. The white is a little too "brilliant white", but as with the other colours, once the shine wears off looks fine. Not sure I'd go for it again, though (I ended up with two years ago after ordering both a white and a cream from the US on sale; when two whites arrived it was too much of a hassle to return one.

The Capricorn is a great hat. If I had my dream Summer hat, though, it would probably be a Federation made in this poly straw, or maybe hemp. A Hemp Federation would be something else again!

RBH

Bartender
Nice. I'm wearing my grey Capricorn in Beijing on a work trip this week. Bought mine in 2010. The pleather sweatband in my grey eventually broke down. the surface flaked off, and after a while I just pulled it out rathe than keep getting residue on my head. The textile underneath has held up well to a couple of seasons exposed so far, with no noticeable impact on comfort. Great hat. Also have a fawn one and two in white. The white is a little too "brilliant white", but as with the other colours, once the shine wears off looks fine. Not sure I'd go for it again, though (I ended up with two years ago after ordering both a white and a cream from the US on sale; when two whites arrived it was too much of a hassle to return one.

The Capricorn is a great hat. If I had my dream Summer hat, though, it would probably be a Federation made in this poly straw, or maybe hemp. A Hemp Federation would be something else again!

Edward, this might be your best bet as of now.

https://stetson.eu/en/kendrick-fedora-hemp-hat-brown

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I finished the evening in a Ecuadorian Panama Hat Company Supernatural milan. It is a mouthful and a total worthy mouthful. A glorious milan!

i-8Vgtx2d-M.jpg

i-8PvzqpF-M.jpg

i-68MwS8k-M.jpg

i-SpjV25w-M.jpg

A morning walkabout in the last of the passing rain showers. A coated hat sold at Peoples Clothing Co., IA.

i-9p4GdJ5-M.jpg

There is a place for a coated hat on my hat rack. This one has the unique crease with the bar down the side. The hat proportions and crease style point at the 30-early 40's style. I purchased this hat from a find that was dated to this time period.

i-Dg56DqR-M.jpg

i-4Cd5xVj-M.jpg

i-ZsqNZf5-M.jpg

Morning cold brew under the coated brim of a Stetson Whippet. The coated hat gets wet and recovers just fine. Even the binding and ribbon show no after effects from the rain.

i-c79Sb96-M.jpg

i-7HpzqvX-M.jpg

i-HfV4fwv-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
I finished the evening in a Ecuadorian Panama Hat Company Supernatural milan. It is a mouthful and a total worthy mouthful. A glorious milan!

i-8Vgtx2d-M.jpg

i-8PvzqpF-M.jpg

i-68MwS8k-M.jpg

i-SpjV25w-M.jpg

A morning walkabout in the last of the passing rain showers. A coated hat sold at Peoples Clothing Co., IA.

i-9p4GdJ5-M.jpg

There is a place for a coated hat on my hat rack. This one has the unique crease with the bar down the side. The hat proportions and crease style point at the 30-early 40's style. I purchased this hat from a find that was dated to this time period.

i-Dg56DqR-M.jpg

i-4Cd5xVj-M.jpg

i-ZsqNZf5-M.jpg

Morning cold brew under the coated brim of a Stetson Whippet. The coated hat gets wet and recovers just fine. Even the binding and ribbon show no after effects from the rain.

i-c79Sb96-M.jpg

i-7HpzqvX-M.jpg

i-HfV4fwv-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Those are all fantastic looking. Just curious - did you coat them with a silicone protectant or is it something else? I've been thinking about using silicone spray on a couple of mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner