Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

VoodooSan

One Too Many
My first cap day.

I hate to miss any chance to wear a full brim, but I’ve wanted to try this new-to-me Stetson for some time. This afternoon was a dental appointment so it seemed appropriate to give him his first day out.

This was a hugely-discounted eBay find: full silk crown which is why I got it but a cotton/poly blend liner which is why I hesitated to pay new prices for it.

Verdict: a cap is okay, but I literally cringe feeling the sun on my ears and neck. I already miss my full brim!

View attachment 617229
View attachment 617230 View attachment 617231 View attachment 617232 View attachment 617233
Very nice looking for what it is, Nathan, but I'm in the same camp as you; flat caps, newsies, panels, whatever you choose to call them, never really seem to me to be doing anything functional on my head. But, it DOES look good on you!

RickP

A-List Customer
The recently reworked Akubra Stockman gets its first real public run today. I did end up trimming brim down to 2 1/2 ". I like it better. Seriously thinking about doing a brim binding. Maybe wider like a Whippet would look better. Might even entertain a bit wider hatband ribbon (I havent sewn the narrow one down fully yet)

View attachment 617121 View attachment 617122
The Akubra had quite the workout this morning. A nasty storm cell blew in more quickly than was expected.. we had 60+ mph wind and 2+ inch/ hr rain for about two hours. I got caught out in it (I suppose I should have parked closer to the grocery) It stayed on my head in the wind just fine (guess I did ok on the the stretching / re-blocking). We DID get soaked. Got home and put on dry clothes, and seated the hat back on my head till it dried. Typical Akubra, as it held its shape just fine. Dont even see any water spots. Its a used hat... it probably needed a little cleaning anyway lol

Think Ill pay a little better attention to the forecast and wear my old foul weather Pendleton or Barbour hat next time

rogueclimber

A-List Customer
My first cap day.

I hate to miss any chance to wear a full brim, but I’ve wanted to try this new-to-me Stetson for some time. This afternoon was a dental appointment so it seemed appropriate to give him his first day out.

This was a hugely-discounted eBay find: full silk crown which is why I got it but a cotton/poly blend liner which is why I hesitated to pay new prices for it.

Verdict: a cap is okay, but I literally cringe feeling the sun on my ears and neck. I already miss my full brim!

View attachment 617229
View attachment 617230 View attachment 617231 View attachment 617232 View attachment 617233

It looks great on you Nathan

I limit my cap wear to longer drives in our Mini convertible -- Though if I had one as nice as that I might be inclined to wear it about town

Mighty44

One Too Many
Good Tuesday. Home from this mornings work escapades I did a couple yard chores. The temps have warmed up to a breezy 62'f (16'c). An unlined Stetson Playboy was my "yard hat." This Air Light felt is indeed air light on the head.

i-bhtC94d-M.jpg

i-vxhwhcr-M.jpg

i-kSmD3sg-M.jpg

i-9WnsdKR-M.jpg

I tip my brim to TFL Hat Folks, cheers!

i-2GkKGkz-M.jpg

Eric -
That hat with that sweatband—total grail hat, Eric. Love it!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
The Akubra had quite the workout this morning. A nasty storm cell blew in more quickly than was expected.. we had 60+ mph wind and 2+ inch/ hr rain for about two hours. I got caught out in it (I suppose I should have parked closer to the grocery) It stayed on my head in the wind just fine (guess I did ok on the the stretching / re-blocking). We DID get soaked. Got home and put on dry clothes, and seated the hat back on my head till it dried. Typical Akubra, as it held its shape just fine. Dont even see any water spots. Its a used hat... it probably needed a little cleaning anyway lol

Think Ill pay a little better attention to the forecast and wear my old foul weather Pendleton or Barbour hat next time
Thanks Mark. I’m glad I decided not to buy the new version. I’ve got another one coming to try and I will carry them to Asia with me, but my heart is in the full brim, for sure.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
It looks great on you Nathan

I limit my cap wear to longer drives in our Mini convertible -- Though if I had one as nice as that I might be inclined to wear it about town

Thanks Rob.

The only times I am not in a full brim outside of the house are when the wind is gusting above 35 knots, the temp is below 0 degrees F, or when I’m actually behind the wheel of the big rig. And that’s only because the new seats are too high for a wide brim. Like you, I wear a driving cap to drive but when I get out of the truck I switch to a full brim, even if only to pump gas.

Snowman

Practically Family

This is exactly why I have two Akubras.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good Whippet Wednesday to all.

My morning soirée hat should come as no surprise - Stetson Whippet. What was a surprise was seeing the albino squirrel in the yard.

i-cwTW4vr-M.jpg

i-Xp7nTjb-M.jpg

i-zkF7GbR-M.jpg

i-JvSCsnQ-M.jpg

After arriving home I enjoyed coffee under the brim of a charcoal hued Mallory Eight Fifty.

i-MF2RKz5-M.jpg

i-BbMggzK-M.jpg

i-ztx2gMM-M.jpg

i-kvft4JG-M.jpg

I shoveled some mulch into a wheelbarrow. A couple loads were completed under the brim of a Stetson Whippet. Back on theme!

i-RLJhSxj-M.jpg

i-DtZRcVQ-M.jpg

i-g4tsqcq-M.jpg

Bakery and car wash errands had me changing to a Stetson Whippet. Ah-ha , the thematic hat of the day at my house.

i-TLxX4qs-M.jpg

i-wGNpQFb-M.jpg

i-nsV8Zrz-M.jpg

i-H37hbHC-M.jpg

Cheers on WW, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

My morning soirée hat should come as no surprise - Stetson Whippet. What was a surprise was seeing the albino squirrel in the yard.

i-cwTW4vr-M.jpg
Great hats as always, but the albino squirrel totally steals the show. What a beauty, thanks for sharing that shot! (nice seeing that Mallory 8.50 btw, along with the amazing Whippets...)

VoodooSan

One Too Many

i-cwTW4vr-M.jpg

i-Xp7nTjb-M.jpg

i-zkF7GbR-M.jpg

i-JvSCsnQ-M.jpg

After arriving home I enjoyed coffee under the brim of a charcoal hued Mallory Eight Fifty.

i-MF2RKz5-M.jpg

i-BbMggzK-M.jpg

i-ztx2gMM-M.jpg

i-kvft4JG-M.jpg

I shoveled some mulch into a wheelbarrow. A couple loads were completed under the brim of a Stetson Whippet. Back on theme!

i-RLJhSxj-M.jpg

i-DtZRcVQ-M.jpg

i-g4tsqcq-M.jpg

Bakery and car wash errands had me changing to a Stetson Whippet. Ah-ha , the thematic hat of the day at my house.

i-TLxX4qs-M.jpg

i-wGNpQFb-M.jpg

i-nsV8Zrz-M.jpg

i-H37hbHC-M.jpg

Cheers on WW, Eric -
Wow. Just.......wow. o_O

Lew Decker

Familiar Face

i-cwTW4vr-M.jpg

i-Xp7nTjb-M.jpg

i-zkF7GbR-M.jpg

i-JvSCsnQ-M.jpg

i-MF2RKz5-M.jpg

i-BbMggzK-M.jpg

i-ztx2gMM-M.jpg

i-kvft4JG-M.jpg

i-RLJhSxj-M.jpg

i-DtZRcVQ-M.jpg

i-g4tsqcq-M.jpg

i-TLxX4qs-M.jpg

i-wGNpQFb-M.jpg

i-nsV8Zrz-M.jpg

i-H37hbHC-M.jpg

Cheers on WW, Eric -
Love the Whippet. Classic hat. That albino squirrel is also interesting. About a month ago I was taking the dog for an evening walk and encountered an albino skunk. We were near the cemetery, so it may have been a ghost skunk. Either way, we kept our distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom