Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, what is the date?
IMG_2986 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Stetson Whippet out braving the avalanches.
IMG_2988 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_2990 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_2992 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
4-17-2020 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Have a good Friday,
Michael

It is not a winter wonderland, but a spring wonderland. The snow on the fauna is pretty. Michael enjoy the last of the snow. Our recent snow is melting fast and with above freezing temps forecast for this coming week it will soon be all gone.

Be safe, be strong and see you on the street soon, Eric -

Long haired daughter and hat are grand!

The advertisement, knife and hat are truly cool! Over the years I have accumulated a few of the magazine ads. I rotate different fedora/vintage advertisements in the frames in my wardrobe. The older magazine ads are grand nostalgia. The hyperbole filled ad copy that is fun to read.

Yesterday evening I was out and about in an oldster Stetson Whippet. It has the unique offset edge ribbon treatment were the bottom ribbon is bigger than the top. The sweat is just a truly soft and maleable leather. This old Whippet has a terrific quality sweat for a Royal version. The felt is off the best. It rivals Turf Club or Custom V's of the same age. This particular hat has a brim felt stain that I need to address. How? I have no idea yet. The entire hat was white gas bathed a while back. I will have to look up a few threads to see for alternatives. The flange is curious. It has a different flange as it is much more curvaceous than more modern( 40-60's) Whippets. The flange is in the mode of the 30's Stetson Scoop that I have. Very scooped in back and big snap in front. In any case it is a great example that the Whippet model of Stetson was offered for many years and they are definitely NOT the same.

i-bT5CjXB-M.jpg

This morning my long walk-about was made wearing a VS thin ribbon in sage beaver. This was inspired by the Stetson Stratoliner (a hat of mine from the 40's). The sage green is unique and I really like it.

I included a shot of one of the eagle families. The shot was taken after the eagle picked up something from the river and flew it to the roost.

i-wGPZD97-M.jpg

Nice to have some a bit worn. I feel it Gives them some character.. and are the ones many of us can be comfortable in not fearing their ruin.. though you show no fear in wearing your finest for even the toughest chores

Long haired daughter and hat are grand!

The advertisement, knife and hat are truly cool! Over the years I have accumulated a few of the magazine ads. I rotate different fedora/vintage advertisements in the frames in my wardrobe. The older magazine ads are grand nostalgia. The hyperbole filled ad copy that is fun to read.

Yesterday evening I was out and about in an oldster Stetson Whippet. It has the unique offset edge ribbon treatment were the bottom ribbon is bigger than the top. The sweat is just a truly soft and maleable leather. This old Whippet has a terrific quality sweat for a Royal version. The felt is off the best. It rivals Turf Club or Custom V's of the same age. This particular hat has a brim felt stain that I need to address. How? I have no idea yet. The entire hat was white gas bathed a while back. I will have to look up a few threads to see for alternatives. The flange is curious. It has a different flange as it is much more curvaceous than more modern( 40-60's) Whippets. The flange is in the mode of the 30's Stetson Scoop that I have. Very scooped in back and big snap in front. In any case it is a great example that the Whippet model of Stetson was offered for many years and they are definitely NOT the same.

i-bT5CjXB-M.jpg

This morning my long walk-about was made wearing a VS thin ribbon in sage beaver. This was inspired by the Stetson Stratoliner (a hat of mine from the 40's). The sage green is unique and I really like it.

I included a shot of one of the eagle families. The shot was taken after the eagle picked up something from the river and flew it to the roost.

i-wGPZD97-M.jpg

Beautiful hats as usual, Eric.

Steve your Janyška Velour is very special. In a bit I am going back to see your post with the seal and other velours on the Comparison thread. Love this Czechoslovakian fedora. Classy and different.

Thanks to all for sharing. Viewing this thread is a dynamite healthy distraction for me that pulls my mental energies from the tragic pandemic we are all experiencing. Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -
Eric, Thank you! This is my only Janyška Velour and quality is excellent. I hope I can find more in the future but Janyška in general are difficult to find.

Fantastic looking Stetson "Stratoliner" from you today.

Last edited:

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
This particular hat has a brim felt stain that I need to address. How? I have no idea yet. The entire hat was white gas bathed a while back. I will have to look up a few threads to see for alternatives.

-

I used this on my powder blue OR on a small stain and it worked great. I was nervous using anything on that delicate color, but this is very gentle. Just a few drops in a cup of water and used a wash cloth. After the success, I then used it on a few silver bellies also with great success:

https://www.thelaundress.com/wool-and-cashmere-shampoo-16-fl-oz.html

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Cool project! I'm sure you have a donor hat lying around for some ribbon.
What, Stefan? Cannibalize one of my 600 odd hats? Surely you jest!
LOL

I should say 601. I pulled the trigger on a chocolate Royal Stetson today. Nice crown and 2" overwelt brim with a textured sweat and verdigris inside the tip liner. What causes that? Metals in the ink?
The wife is working from home so I'm going to have to patrol the front porch diligently in a couple days.
I managed to get a pretty nice grey Stagecoach into the barn early last week. I recognized the hatband as one of the cheap elastic ones I've found on Chinese straws, a decent color match but unworthy of the Stagecoach. Maybe that's why nobody was even watching it. I got it home for about $30 and the RS will be even less.
I am risking a very unhappy wife though so can't get acquisition crazy again.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Super looking hat, Jared.

Good to see your post. Glad you are safe and well. The Optimo makes my heart flutter when you post it. Love the glorious hued felt.

Thanks to all for sharing. Viewing this thread is a dynamite healthy distraction for me that pulls my mental energies from the tragic pandemic we are all experiencing. Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -

Good to see ya jlee. Great looking hat, and glad you are doing good. Stay safe.

Thanks, gents. I agree Eric, the Lounge has become an even better way to pass the time as of late.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I used this on my powder blue OR on a small stain and it worked great. I was nervous using anything on that delicate color, but this is very gentle. Just a few drops in a cup of water and used a wash cloth. After the success, I then used it on a few silver bellies also with great success:

https://www.thelaundress.com/wool-and-cashmere-shampoo-16-fl-oz.html

Thanks sir. I will start with Woolite and if it fails I will seek out the product you have referenced. Thanks.

That is a rare fedora in a rare felt color. Congrats! The big edge ribbon treatment has a vibe that I like. You continue to look daper sir.

Lunch on the deck in a Monsavias cap.

i-PhDfZzq-M.jpg

Continuing the sage green theme I went out for a fast walk in a sage green Penny's Marathon. What a terrific hat. I wear this hat more than most and am pleased at it's quality and features each time I get to sport it.

i-HdJwL6x-M.jpg

Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -

Shadow1948

One of the Regulars
Thanks sir. I will start with Woolite and if it fails I will seek out the product you have referenced. Thanks.

That is a rare fedora in a rare felt color. Congrats! The big edge ribbon treatment has a vibe that I like. You continue to look daper sir.

i-PhDfZzq-M.jpg

Continuing the sage green theme I went out for a fast walk in a sage green Penny's Marathon. What a terrific hat. I wear this hat more than most and am pleased at it's quality and features each time I get to sport it.

i-HdJwL6x-M.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab

i-PhDfZzq-M.jpg

i-HdJwL6x-M.jpg

Very nice, Eric. Mallory are impressively built. I own two but only one I can wear. The second one is a great thin felt but the non-reeded sweat aged and ripped through at the stitches. The stitches actually held up.
I still haven't nerved up to attempt sewing in a new sweat. I have a couple of junk hats
I might have some vintage grosgrain in a color you like. What color are you thinking about ?
I'm still toying with color choices. Thanks. I'll get back to you.
Did you move on that little Lee I steered you toward?
I really wanted it for my grandson but couldn't justify $50 shipped for a 6 year old. Maybe if it was here where I could monitor things but not in my daughter's three ring circus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko