Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Wore a Marathon to work today but received a package from South Pacific Berets and haven't been able to take this undyed Merino d'Arles off my head since.

102521_1.jpg

102521_2.jpg

arels_beret.jpg

Wore a Marathon to work today but received a package from South Pacific Berets and haven't been able to take this undyed Merino d'Arles off my head since.

View attachment 372912

View attachment 372913

View attachment 372911

Great Marathon, Alan. I really like the brim stitching. However, the beret stole the show for me. I need to give them another try, this version looks fantastic! Do you mind sharing what I’ll need to know so I can place an order of my own?

View attachment 372871

Stetson 7X Clear Beaver Quality
Silverbelly Open Road Style
4 5/8 in diamond crease (about 5 3/4 Open)
3/8 inch grosgrain ribbon
2 3/4 brim with 1/8 bound edge
Wind trolley

Finally the last of the four hat week from a few weeks back. This one took a couple weeks of patience but it has finally arrived. Stetson 7XCB is worth the wait! This is for sure one fine piece of felt. There is quite definitely that “molds like clay” feel to this felt. The hand is incredibly velvety fine. Probably one of the very best of all my Stetsons. Maybe the exception might be my mid 1930s Standard Quality though I believe that one may be a bit thinner felt. I put it through some paces with a few quick dry creases… all of which it took with ease. There are a couple tiny dirty spots here and there but nothing that really stands out. One odd thing it appears the wind trolley cord has been stitched down in place under the ribbon. I’m not sure if this a factory thing kinda like basting stitches or if someone did not know how to wrap it and stow it out of the way. I did find a four digit number on the back side of the sweat similar to a LotXXXX number… however I do not think it is. There ar stars in the logo on the sweat and on the liner.. My guess would be late 40s early 50s… wonder anyone else’s thoughts. Absolutely very happy with this hat. I will probably pull out my other similar Stetsons and do some comparisons soon. Special thanks to @BobHufford for the heads up on this great hat.

View attachment 372873 View attachment 372874 View attachment 372875 View attachment 372876 View attachment 372877 View attachment 372878 View attachment 372879 View attachment 372880 View attachment 372881

Spectacular hat, Joe. They aren’t common in any size. I love the simple center crease.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 372871

Stetson 7X Clear Beaver Quality
Silverbelly Open Road Style
4 5/8 in diamond crease (about 5 3/4 Open)
3/8 inch grosgrain ribbon
2 3/4 brim with 1/8 bound edge
Wind trolley

Finally the last of the four hat week from a few weeks back. This one took a couple weeks of patience but it has finally arrived. Stetson 7XCB is worth the wait! This is for sure one fine piece of felt. There is quite definitely that “molds like clay” feel to this felt. The hand is incredibly velvety fine. Probably one of the very best of all my Stetsons. Maybe the exception might be my mid 1930s Standard Quality though I believe that one may be a bit thinner felt. I put it through some paces with a few quick dry creases… all of which it took with ease. There are a couple tiny dirty spots here and there but nothing that really stands out. One odd thing it appears the wind trolley cord has been stitched down in place under the ribbon. I’m not sure if this a factory thing kinda like basting stitches or if someone did not know how to wrap it and stow it out of the way. I did find a four digit number on the back side of the sweat similar to a LotXXXX number… however I do not think it is. There ar stars in the logo on the sweat and on the liner.. My guess would be late 40s early 50s… wonder anyone else’s thoughts. Absolutely very happy with this hat. I will probably pull out my other similar Stetsons and do some comparisons soon. Special thanks to @BobHufford for the heads up on this great hat.

View attachment 372873 View attachment 372874 View attachment 372875 View attachment 372876 View attachment 372877 View attachment 372878 View attachment 372879 View attachment 372880 View attachment 372881

Hallelujah!
A super nice 7X.
Looks great on you!
My soft felt OR 7XCB is quessed to be from the oil skin liner period of 47 to 52. Yours must be earlier than that, right?

Hallelujah!
A super nice 7X.
Looks great on you!
My soft felt OR 7XCB is quessed to be from the oil skin liner period of 47 to 52. Yours must be earlier than that, right?

The postwar 7X CB quality felt was used for different hats finished in different ways (OR, thin ribbon dress styles without OR designation, wide ribbon dress hats...) - my guess is Joe's new hat is also late 40s to early 50s. It is super-nice.

Great Marathon, Alan. I really like the brim stitching. However, the beret stole the show for me. I need to give them another try, this version looks fantastic! Do you mind sharing what I’ll need to know so I can place an order of my own?

Hi Brent... Daan announced the availability of this new hat from Manufacture de Berets Auloronesa in the Berets Anyone? thread here. These are really interesting - made from unprocessed merino wool sourced in Arles, France. They feel and smell like an unwashed wool fisherman's sweater - redolent of lanolin. I love it. But you might want to try their traditional line in navy or black first (or also). These berets are limited production and very beautifully made. They are also adjustable in size using a ribbon cord. They fit me well but you should check with Daan to make sure the maximum size will work for you. Daan is very easy to reach through the lounge or through his South Pacific Berets company. Shipping is slow at the moment - this one took a little less than three weeks in airmail transit.

Hallelujah!
A super nice 7X.
Looks great on you!

The postwar 7X CB quality felt was used for different hats finished in different ways (OR, thin ribbon dress styles without OR designation, wide ribbon dress hats...) - my guess is Joe's new hat is also late 40s to early 50s. It is super-nice.

thank you Both. No liner tip covering and stars in sweat and liner logo led me to thinking very early 50s or older. A couple other things had me thinking at least late 40s.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
thank you Both. No liner tip covering and stars in sweat and liner logo led me to thinking very early 50s or older. A couple other things had me thinking at least late 40s.

Does anyone know what year it was when the first Stetson OR styled thin ribbons hit the scene?
Certainly an iconic hat that was copied by everyone.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know what year it was when the first Stetson OR styled thin ribbons hit the scene?
Certainly an iconic hat that was copied by everyone.

Our resident newspaper archive wizard @DaveProc recently posted some wide ribbon OR ads that he found through 1941. The first mention I found (during my insomnia) of a thin ribbon OR, in the Miller Stockman catalogs specifically, is from 1949 and 1950, though these ads list a 3-cord band. The first ad of the 4-ligne ribbon OR that has been discovered and added to the Miller Stockman thread is 1956. Maybe the Stetson ads thread has a more precise date. There were certainly any number of thin ribbon, bound edge hats that could be considered forerunners of the OR style through the 30's and 40's though. Even the 1902 catalog shows a variety of thin ribbon Boss Raw Edge hats which could be argued to be something of a progenitor of the OR.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko