Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

View attachment 395342
1920's Stetson Select "The Fray”
Midnight Navy Blue - Thin Light Weight Felt
5 1/4 Crown
Bright Orange Grosgrain Ribbon
2 1/2" Brim with whip stitched edge
Double row of brim stitching

My goal of late with new hats has been to only go for hats that are rare, old or unusual and unlike others in my collection… Or hats that really just “Speak to me”. This one managed to check just about all the boxes. In fact this one not only spoke to me on its own.. it also spoke to me via friends Anthony and @BobHufford. @Garrett was kind enough to work out a deal with me on this beautiful hat that I just knew had to be in my collection. But it wasn’t till the hat arrived that I realized there may have been a reason this hat was “speaking to me”. I mean as if I needed a reason other than the beautiful dark midnight blue felt that is so thin and easily shaped… it the realm of Vita-Felt. Or other than the wildly unusual bright Orange ribbon. Or the I have not come across a 1920s Stetson Select The Fray… if not for any of those reason… as I looked at it today.. I realized looking at the sweatband that the the store where this hat was originally sold matched my own sir name. (Unless I am miss reading the script… but certainly close enough). Oh yes… this hat has come home where it belongs. Thank you again to Garrett for being a rock star! And to Bob and Anthony for somehow knowing where this hat needed to be.

View attachment 395342 View attachment 395343 View attachment 395344 View attachment 395345 View attachment 395346 View attachment 395347
By the by…. I can’t help but think of the gentleman who walked into McCarthy The Hatter in Lafayette, Indiana in the 1920s and saw this gorgeous midnight blue hat with its bright Orange ribbon nestled among a sea of grey and black hats… and said “That one… that one right there! That’s the hat for me!”
Certainly an eyecatching colour combination, Joe. The blue felt is fantastic. Is the orange ribbon the original one though? I see there was a discussion about that before. Garrett has had quite a few of his hats restored by Black Sheep Works and I'm thinking this ribbon could be Bob's work.

Dunn & Co. Ltd London Provinces, "Austrian Velour", "Romeo", made by Anton Peschel Neutitschein (APN), possibly mid to later 1930s and a recent arrival.

51821439175_abc0f70457_b.jpg

51820715401_b3d092878e_h.jpg

51820828203_11576b6417_h.jpg

51820826028_832aa2e66c_h.jpg

51821427460_3e690adafd_h.jpg
Fantastic velour, Steve. Love the colour.

A longhair from the Lee Hat Company for my Saturday shenanigans.

View attachment 395534 View attachment 395535 View attachment 395536
That a beauty, Jim. Quite unusual for Lee; don't think we've seen another longhair by them.

Function and style on display. Fabulous, Bob.

My version Hat Day 2022 collage.

View attachment 395627
Off to a good start. Looking good!

You wear them all with panache, Joe.

First hat of the New Year.

Following a lead from @deadlyhandsome I ordered a cobalt 160 Gram Coypu Hat Body (Dress Weight) from Sunrise Hat Supplies and sent it to Michael Gannon.
Came in at 3 inch brim, 6 inch open crown +-, that took a casual crease nicely. I wore it to the beach, then took it home and put some steam to it for a diamond crease.

It is a lot of hat.

View attachment 395601 View attachment 395602 View attachment 395603 View attachment 395604 View attachment 395605 View attachment 395606 View attachment 395607 View attachment 395608 View attachment 395609
Looks great, David. It was made for that diamond crease it seems.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Dunn & Co. Ltd London Provinces, "Austrian Velour", "Romeo", made by Anton Peschel Neutitschein (APN), possibly mid to later 1930s and a recent arrival.

51821439175_abc0f70457_b.jpg
What else to say Steve? A magnificent hat especially for the unusual color, or almost, for a velour
The history of the supply of the Dunn with proven evidence is very interesting... in Italy we will be able to write a novel on this subject;)

Certainly an eyecatching colour combination, Joe. The blue felt is fantastic. Is the orange ribbon the original one though? I see there was a discussion about that before. Garrett has had quite a few of his hats restored by Black Sheep Works and I'm thinking this ribbon could be Bob's work.
Thanks Stefan. @Garrett had said he believes it original.

I think this was the thread you are referring…. “Discussion” :D

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/1910s-1920s-stetson-the-fray.75346/

What else to say Steve? A magnificent hat especially for the unusual color, or almost, for a velour
The history of the supply of the Dunn with proven evidence is very interesting... in Italy we will be able to write a novel on this subject;)
Daniele, Thank you! I also have the Tonak Dunn & Co. Seal Velour you gifted me.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good morning folks. Cold temps the last days have me wearing caps.

i-j8XK2N9-M.jpg

This morning in the nearly 10'f weather I went out for a morning dog soirre in a 1930's Mikuska fedora. The brown/purple/white scratch finish fedora is so very unique. A glorious felt fedora.

i-NrZ2XTk-M.jpg

i-qv35VnM-M.jpg

i-2PH35TF-M.jpg

Later snow shoveling in a VS fedora. This Whippet inspired fedora has the signature color add in the ribbon treatment.

i-xxnQ6Fv-M.jpg

i-GPSHNNL-M.jpg

i-ZLNGjJt-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk