Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Pellie

One Too Many
Borsalino today....off to work!!
20220910_082830.jpg
20220910_083045.jpg

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
My sister found a used, new production Stetson Open Road that she gave to me. I attempted, with reasonable success, to re-bash it into more of a Strat look. Wore it to take my son to his new job at a local coffee shop today. Brim up is a new thing for me, but giving it a try. My other two felt hats are vintage, so the stiffness of this one is a bit different. I know OR's tend to have more stiffener in general-- is there a way to soften them up without ruining them??? Also, the brim is just shy of 3", which is a bit bigger than I am used to--crazy how much of a difference just an eight or a quarter of an inch makes with a brim. This feels like "a lot of hat" as they say.... Up:

DPP00003942.JPG

Down:

DPP00003943.JPG

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
My sister found a used, new production Stetson Open Road that she gave to me. I attempted, with reasonable success, to re-bash it into more of a Strat look. Wore it to take my son to his new job at a local coffee shop today. Brim up is a new thing for me, but giving it a try. My other two felt hats are vintage, so the stiffness of this one is a bit different. I know OR's tend to have more stiffener in general-- is there a way to soften them up without ruining them??? Also, the brim is just shy of 3", which is a bit bigger than I am used to--crazy how much of a difference just an eight or a quarter of an inch makes with a brim. This feels like "a lot of hat" as they say.... Up:

View attachment 450380

Down:

View attachment 450381
My Akubra Camp Drafts were so stiff and thick I decided to "work" the felt a little and see what happened. I found they are so tough I could "work" the heck out of them with no ill effect and soften them up. They won't become like I imagine vintage felt must be, however I learned that I really couldn't hurt them. By "working" them I mean I really rolled the felt in a tight radius onto itself, every way I could, and did that to the whole hat as much as I could, and they are fine. I have a plastic hat block along with an insert that is my head shape, so I could re-block with little trouble. I took the liners out early on. Possibly this hat could stand such treatment.
And, from alanfgag in the "what hat are you wearing" thread I learned that I could impart a brim-up "swoop" that gives an impression of the front brim being down, so you don't have that "total, rounded brim snapped up look", rather a nicely shaped brim line that is down down slightly in front and gives a brim-down impression. I guess you know what I mean.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Heading off to meet the rest of the family for my 60th birthday celebration. Sporting a montecristi duplex from Northwest Hats.

View attachment 450397 View attachment 450398
I love seeing your Northwest hats. I often hear that Gannon is the best around these days, but every time I see a Northwest, I wonder if he really has anything over the guy (is it Mike?) from Northwest.

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider