Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Granville

One of the Regulars
Weather here turned on a dime. I've been waiting to put away the summer straws I wear on the beach and the white linen cap I've been wearing everywhere and getting back to "real" hats. But the first thing I reached for yesterday was my newest purchase, which I've been waiting to debut, a Scots-made houndstooth cap. This morning I was on the beach in my "Bench-Made" Warwick. Here's the happy recap in photos:
First up, me and my brother at the baseball hall of fame. Yes, even at the HOF I refused to wear a ball cap. Jim, of course, being a man-child, is wearing a Giants beanie.
Hall of Fame.jpg

Wore this straw a lot, but I had to sew in a bit of felt on the stretch-fabric sweat so it wouldn't scratch my forehead.
SummerBeachStraw.jpeg

The houndstooth. No snap, and I removed the stitch holding the front flap down. So early in the day it was lying flat, but the wind picked up and by the afternoon I had to jam it on my head a bit, making the flap pop up.
IMG_0753.JPG

AutumnHoundstooth.jpeg
And today, I broke out the Warwick. Welcome to Autumn.
autumnWarwickalt.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Weather here turned on a dime. I've been waiting to put away the summer straws I wear on the beach and the white linen cap I've been wearing everywhere and getting back to "real" hats. But the first thing I reached for yesterday was my newest purchase, which I've been waiting to debut, a Scots-made houndstooth cap. This morning I was on the beach in my "Bench-Made" Warwick. Here's the happy recap in photos:
First up, me and my brother at the baseball hall of fame. Yes, even at the HOF I refused to wear a ball cap. Jim, of course, being a man-child, is wearing a Giants beanie.
View attachment 453305
Wore this straw a lot, but I had to sew in a bit of felt on the stretch-fabric sweat so it wouldn't scratch my forehead.
View attachment 453315
The houndstooth. No snap, and I removed the stitch holding the front flap down. So early in the day it was lying flat, but the wind picked up and by the afternoon I had to jam it on my head a bit, making the flap pop up. View attachment 453316
View attachment 453313
View attachment 453310
Welcome to Autumn indeed, what a fabulous hat. The weather, as in hit and miss sunshine, has been the making of what to wear kind of hats here in the UK too. How I love a strong felt hat, but today it was a straw that the weather had me reaching for. And what a straw, made for me by former Lounger, Esther Weis. What a talented lady, how we miss her.
hawiian shirt various hats 013.JPG

Well, I'm back, "he said". Made it back from Italy and here are the pics for this thread. Mostly the same two hats, but in different locations.

Penumbra in Nassereith Austria
IMG_4664.jpg

Penumbra in Barbarano Vicentino
IMG_4666.jpg

Genuine Panama in Marostica
IMG_4676.jpg

Genuine panama in Montagnana
IMG_4677.jpg

Genuine panama in Vicenza
IMG_4708.jpg
IMG_4712.jpg

Penumbra in Verona
IMG_4731.jpg

IMG_4732.jpg

Genuine panama in Sirmione
IMG_4742.jpg

Genuine panama in Venezia/Venice
IMG_4758.jpg

Some more touristy snaps in the hats abroad thread.
Some wonderful hats on display here the past couple of weeks. Too many to comment on, but glad to see the high standard firmly in place.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Back in felt, not because it’s cooler, but because I’m smoking. My Akubra Cattleman is my barbecue hat.
1892B2BC-28CB-4CF0-84A4-C7C213978387.jpeg

Smoking habaneros and Serranos today…
772DB7C5-810E-4E4E-84BF-33F32ED32705.jpeg

Eating Jingisukan - the Japanese pronunciation of Genghis khan.
D163809B-9B71-47E3-A101-406BC8E90D48.jpeg

It’s a lamb dish cooked in a pan with a raised centre. The juices and fat from the meat drip down into outside of the pan where the veggies are cooking.
It’s good.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Shadow; Nice Huckel. The felt color is truly Fall like.

Adam Pork Pie. Grateful thanks to Jonathan @TheOldFashioned for this one. I know it meant a lot to him, but sadly it didn't fit. Luckily for me, it does.

View attachment 453040

Sharp immigrant hat sir.

Hello my friends. Felt weather has finally arrived and now the fun begins.
View attachment 453063
Borsalino Como for this first full day of Autumn.
View attachment 453064
View attachment 453065 Have a great weekend!

Hat, vest, tie and jacket combo are spot on. Cheers for cooler weather.

View attachment 453148

J.C. Penney Co - Marathon Hats
Seafoam green/grey unlined felt
Approx 4 inch crown as shaped
Maroon/Navy pug style band
2 1/2 brim with triple stitched overwelt

The travel partner of yesterday’s Marathon.. another Marathon but quite a bit different in styling. Stepping into a bit more of 1940s styling with its wider brim and less substantial crown. A beautiful seafoam green/grey unlined felt and features a very cool duo-tone maroon and navy pug style hat band. And it still has its basting stitches tacking the band in place.. which is very neat. The 2 1/2 brim is finished in what may have been Marathon’s take on Stetson’s wafer edge. A triple stitched dual layer overwelt. It appears as if the welt was sewn and then trimmed as if you look directly at the edge you can see the two layers. If I decide I need to, I may see if I can eek out a bit more height in the crown but for now I will keep as is.

View attachment 453149 View attachment 453150 View attachment 453152 View attachment 453153

Dang! That is just a cool unique hat! Glad it found an appreciating hat rack to reside on.

Cheers for your cap and outfit.

View attachment 453305
View attachment 453315
The houndstooth. No snap, and I removed the stitch holding the front flap down. So early in the day it was lying flat, but the wind picked up and by the afternoon I had to jam it on my head a bit, making the flap pop up. View attachment 453316
View attachment 453313
View attachment 453310

Excellent variety in your post. I enjoy the hat adventures.

Welcome to Autumn indeed, what a fabulous hat. The weather, as in hit and miss sunshine, has been the making of what to wear kind of hats here in the UK too. How I love a strong felt hat, but today it was a straw that the weather had me reaching for. And what a straw, made for me by former Lounger, Esther Weis. What a talented lady, how we miss her.
View attachment 453318

Esther felt = dynamite.

Felt has receded for the time being.
Tula palm straw for outdoor dining last night (pizza on the electric Weber.)
View attachment 453364
Milan Stratoliner for some grocery shopping today. View attachment 453365 View attachment 453366

Excellent variety.

Well, I'm back, "he said". Made it back from Italy and here are the pics for this thread. Mostly the same two hats, but in different locations.

Penumbra in Nassereith Austria View attachment 453371

View attachment 453372

View attachment 453373

View attachment 453374

View attachment 453375 View attachment 453376

Penumbra in Verona
View attachment 453377
View attachment 453378

View attachment 453379

Genuine panama in Venezia/Venice View attachment 453380

Some wonderful hats on display here the past couple of weeks. Too many to comment on, but glad to see the high standard firmly in place.

Congrats on the travels sir! Your pics show you well hatted for the adventures.

Back in felt, not because it’s cooler, but because I’m smoking. My Akubra Cattleman is my barbecue hat.
View attachment 453474
Smoking habaneros and Serranos today…
View attachment 453476
Eating Jingisukan - the Japanese pronunciation of Genghis khan.
View attachment 453478
It’s a lamb dish cooked in a pan with a raised centre. The juices and fat from the meat drip down into outside of the pan where the veggies are cooking.
It’s good.

The man under the Akubra looks to have had a grand feast. Cheers.

Best to all posters, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Black hats matter! I am pleased to be able to showcase a 30's Dobbs I recieved from Brent. Thanks Brent it is truly a grand hat!

The black felted Dobbs, Leisure Light fedora. The 30's ribbon work is dynamite. What is not to like about the oldster frayed ribbon. Seriousely, the brim edge is tops!

i-kSwh9Ts-M.jpg

i-RdbTRrN-M.jpg

i-n2gQD9J-M.jpg

i-g79NFxW-M.jpg

i-FVvLMBw-M.jpg

i-TP7RWXZ-M.jpg

This Dobbs Leisure Light is indeed a light weight felt. Takes a crease, easily makes another and yet holds. It has all the desirable characteristics of felt, IMO. Black hats matter!

Thanks again Brent.

I did an errand and a couple of yard tasks in a cap.

i-MX2hv3M-M.jpg

Teaser; Brent did procure and provide me a hat I have never handled before. My first Stetson 100x. I have had the 100X in a white gas bath this morning and it is headed off for some spot cleaning and steam. Cool beans! More to come.

i-NJPdrw2-M.jpg

(The hat above spent 15 minutes in a Coleman White Gas bath being brushed with an old toothbrush. The silverbelly felt saturated with white gas is drying on a post. It appears gray but it will air dry within an hour. After the hour it will have no residual fuels smell. More spot cleaning and steam is in it's future today.)

I tip the brim of my hat in Brent's direction this morning.

Cheers to all, Eric -

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Penumbra in Nassereith Austria View attachment 453371

View attachment 453372

View attachment 453373

View attachment 453374

View attachment 453375 View attachment 453376

Penumbra in Verona
View attachment 453377
View attachment 453378

View attachment 453379

Genuine panama in Venezia/Venice View attachment 453380

Good to see you back, Stefan. Hope you had a good holiday in Italy. You picked the perfect hats for the wonderful views behind you.

Black hats matter! I am pleased to be able to showcase a 30's Dobbs I recieved from Brent. Thanks Brent it is truly a grand hat!

The black felted Dobbs, Leisure Light fedora. The 30's ribbon work is dynamite. What is not to like about the oldster frayed ribbon. Seriousely, the brim edge is tops!

i-kSwh9Ts-M.jpg

This Dobbs Leisure Light is indeed a light weight felt. Takes a crease, easily makes another and yet holds. It has all the desirable characteristics of felt, IMO. Black hats matter!

Thanks again Brent.

I did an errand and a couple of yard tasks in a cap.

i-MX2hv3M-M.jpg

Teaser; Brent did procure and provide me a hat I have never handled before. My first Stetson 100x. I have had the 100X in a white gas bath this morning and it is headed off for some spot cleaning and steam. Cool beans! More to come.

i-NJPdrw2-M.jpg

(The hat above spent 15 minutes in a Coleman White Gas bath being brushed with an old toothbrush. The silverbelly felt saturated with white gas is drying on a post. It appears gray but it will air dry within an hour. After the hour it will have no residual fuels smell. More spot cleaning and steam is in it's future today.)

I tip the brim of my hat in Brent's direction this morning.

Cheers to all, Eric -
Thank you, Eric. Brent couldn't have found a better home for that great Dobbs hat.

Good to see you back, Stefan. Hope you had a good holiday in Italy. You picked the perfect hats for the wonderful views behind you.
Thanks, Steve. More than good! Look for the report in the other thread:)

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Echter Mayser Souple in black. Size 59. Directly from Netherlands to Verona. A pleasant gift from Stefan
Mayser nero 7.jpg
Here I'm in this Sunday afternoon with clouds coming
Mayser nero 1.jpg
I'm back to the daily, maybe, hats parade from Verona and surroundings
Mayser nero 3.jpg
May I say compliments to all the loungers that keep alive many so interesting threads?
Yes, it is done
Mayser nero 5.jpg
Have a nice Sunday in everypart of the world. Greetings from Verona

Echter Mayser Souple in black. Size 59. Directly from Netherlands to Verona. A pleasant gift from Stefan
View attachment 453524
Here I'm in this Sunday afternoon with clouds coming
View attachment 453526
I'm back to the daily, maybe, hats parade from Verona and surroundings
View attachment 453527
May I say compliments to all the loungers that keep alive many so interesting threads?
Yes, it is done
View attachment 453528
Have a nice Sunday in everypart of the world. Greetings from Verona
Good to see you, Daniele and good that felt season is upon us!
A Christy's London during this pipesmokingsession!
View attachment 453538
Very nice, Marcel. Classic colours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko