Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Well I’m still kicking and on the path of recovery from the hip replacement. I’ve graduated from the walker to the cane which has give me some freedom to get out of the house. My loving wife took me out to a nearby tap house this evening for a pint of ESB. I chose a Stetson 15X which I think goes with my new cane nicely enough. It was wonderful. We were only there about 45 minutes and it wore me completely out. I’m in my jammies now and ready for bed.

View attachment 479198
View attachment 479199
Good to see you're on the mend, I agree the Stetson 15X goes nicely with the cane :) Hope your recovery continues to go well.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful MG, what a cool car!
That TD is wonderful and brings back some great teenager memories. My parents bought and restored a 51 MG TD that same color. I got to drive it often. What a fun and cool car. I’ve been a MG fan ever since. Your Y type is something I never knew about. It’s gorgeous.
Thank you for your compliments, so much appreciated. Gary, you will find that having the cane becomes second nature. Replacement hips have a shelf life, looking after them prolongs their life, that's why you often see me with a cane as in photo one.

P&C Habig navy/midnight blue Homburg from 1974.

Don't wear this one often enough.

View attachment 477915 View attachment 477916
And that's a shame, because it's a great hat. Looking good, Steve.
View attachment 477976

Buckley Sportsman - Pork Pie
3 5/8 Telescoping Crown
1 7/8 Fancy Striped Ribbon with Back Bow
2 inch brim with underwelt

The 4th hat of the 5 Canadian hat stack was a very smashed up hat from a lesser known brand, with diminutive specs, it’s liner falling out and a good amount of discoloration on the crown. In handling the felt I realized the discoloration was ghost creases from the pork pie-ish telescope crown it once sported. A shape it definitely favors. A good brushing and steaming spiffed it up quite nicely. And I got the liner to play ball for now. Not my preferred style… but makes for a nice change of pace kinda hat.

View attachment 477977 View attachment 477978 View attachment 477979
Lovely colour on that one, Joe. And a cool ribbon as well.

Last edited:
In the rotation this a.m., Resistol Western Thin Ribbon conversion.

Before:
Resistol-Western-Silverbelly-7-A.jpg

Resistol-Western-Silverbelly-5-A.jpg

Another wet blocking:
Resistol-Western-Silverbelly-1.jpg

Almost finished. Sewing on the thin brim binding:
Binding-Resistol-Western-brim-1-A.jpg

After. Salvaged the thin ribbon and brim binding from a scrap hat. Anything I can reuse, I keep.
IMG-20200822-142448130.jpg

IMG-20200822-142745114.jpg

Original liner, size tag, and sweat bow reused,...plus sewed in a new sweat:
Resistol-Westerner-in-Silverbelly-10-A.jpg

On the head:
Resistol-Western-TR-1-A.jpg

Resistol-Western-TR-3-A.jpg
Fantastic work, Terry.

Excellent hat, Perry. Nice bit of contrast between the felt and ribbons.

Arrived on the last working day of the last year, went into open air storage and then tidied up and put on.
View attachment 478050
Bantam Creazioni Speciali Cervo size 60 cm.. No indication of color or model
View attachment 478051
I'm almost certain it is one of the last high end productions of Cappellificio Cervo
View attachment 478053
The felt is particularly well finished with a long nap, but the texture is firm and has the marks of a pressing with the forming machine. Impeccable finishes
View attachment 478054
For this and other small details I consider it a product of the final phase of the Bantam brand
View attachment 478055
Very comfortable when worn with some thickness, given my military cut hair.
Tomorrow the presentation in still life of this splendid Italian velour
The long hair has made its way onto the hats. I know the feeling all too well. Lovely fluffy hat, Daniele.

Last week, below zero. Today, 62F. So off to the pub beer garden for a pint. Dalton today.

View attachment 478348

Puppy on the patio!

View attachment 478349
Beautiful Dalton, Jim.

Still like this hat best of all your hats, Greg. What can you do? Magnificent.

Circa Late 1940s Stetsonian out for some canine business this evening.
View attachment 478409 View attachment 478411 View attachment 478413
That outfit has got the look, Charlie!

Mossant today.
Brim up and cocked for this 2 9/16” View attachment 478608 View attachment 478609 View attachment 478610
Beautiful, Randall. Mossant earned their reputation as a quality hatmaker.

Very nice, Reggie. Great colour.

Good morning. My morning walkabout was taken with snowshoes. Afterwards I filled the bird feeders. I took my hat off to share a pic and low and behold I discovered my wonky hat brim and crease. My walkabout found me ducking under some limbs and hitting a few. I did not notice my "modified" hat until I took it off.

i-9tRgznP-M.jpg

A quick center dent and side creases my Stetson 3X OR was back in business.

i-MQtbQ88-M.jpg

i-6cchGVN-M.jpg

My morning coffee was enjoyed under the brim of a Warren fedora.

i-RM7S2P9-M.jpg

i-v4QM4wq-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
As always your hats are an inspiration, Eric.

The car that I dreamed of in my student days was one of those sports cars that you always see a Spitfire pilot driving in war movies.
View attachment 479183
Then as a young graduate I went from single to married, mortgage and debt, such is life.
The greasy pole beckoned, my job came with a company car, the MG got forgotten.
The next 30 odd years or so just flew by, now we own our home outright, debt is in the past
and would you believe, we had a few shekels in the bank. That MG dream returned, what's
more, the lady wasn't against the idea, but she did point out that open top cars and hay
fever were not a good match. No problem, MG kindly did a sedan version, or saloon, as we
Brits describe sedan. They called it The MG Y-Type.
View attachment 479184 View attachment 479185
View attachment 479187
Timeless cool!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
It's that time agin. The hats of the week.

Dunn&Co velour View attachment 479227

Hückel Platin velour
View attachment 479228

Borsalino Landasca Dattero View attachment 479229

Dunson beaver velour (and some serious rain)
View attachment 479230

Morreton View attachment 479231 View attachment 479232

Mossant
View attachment 479233 View attachment 479234 View attachment 479235

Morreton View attachment 479236
Some wonderful velours and great Fedoras this week, Stefan. Hard to pick a favourite, so I'll just covet them all :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Some wonderful velours and great Fedoras this week, Stefan. Hard to pick a favourite, so I'll just covet them all :)
Covet, now there's the reason why St. Peter will have some awkward questions for me, however I have kept a copy as an example, probably won't get me in but it's worth a try. This week's copy is simply all about the mint green hue.
hatts.jpg
Hückel Platin velour
Timeless cool, Stefan? You invented it.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Hückel Platin velour
View attachment 479228

View attachment 479230

Mossant

Ah, the hats of the week. I do enjoy seeing your post. This morning I am struck certainly by the hats, but noticing the scarf and topcoact selections. The red scarf and patterned scarfs add some color to January. Cheers!

Eric -

Still like this hat best of all your hats, Greg. What can you do? Magnificent.
Oh, I know you do, Stefan. You always comment so kindly about this hat and I thank you. It is one of the finest I have and probably deserves more head time, it’s just not a style I often wear. Had I owned the hat when I was a C and TM’r, it would have been in steady rotation.

The car that I dreamed of in my student days was one of those sports cars that you always see a Spitfire pilot driving in war movies.
View attachment 479183
Then as a young graduate I went from single to married, mortgage and debt, such is life.
The greasy pole beckoned, my job came with a company car, the MG got forgotten.
The next 30 odd years or so just flew by, now we own our home outright, debt is in the past
and would you believe, we had a few shekels in the bank. That MG dream returned, what's
more, the lady wasn't against the idea, but she did point out that open top cars and hay
fever were not a good match. No problem, MG kindly did a sedan version, or saloon, as we
Brits describe sedan. They called it The MG Y-Type.
View attachment 479184 View attachment 479185
View attachment 479187
My sad tale of regret goes back to 1972. Learning a trade as a mechanic the shop was beside an old Brit who had the Morgan dealership. He had 2 cars on the floor, both white & black. A Plus 4 and a Plus 8 that he was liquidating before his retirement. I could have had one for $5000. I had the money in the bank but I declined and 5 months later bought a new Pontiac LeMans for the same money. Don't know what the hell I was thinking!

Well I’m still kicking and on the path of recovery from the hip replacement. I’ve graduated from the walker to the cane which has give me some freedom to get out of the house. My loving wife took me out to a nearby tap house this evening for a pint of ESB. I chose a Stetson 15X which I think goes with my new cane nicely enough. It was wonderful. We were only there about 45 minutes and it wore me completely out. I’m in my jammies now and ready for bed.

View attachment 479198
View attachment 479199
Glad to see you out and about. Impressive

Hückel Platin velour
View attachment 479228

View attachment 479230

Mossant

That Dunson took a serious soaking! My picks this week are the Mossant and the Morreton

Thank you, Steve. While it's still velours weather we'll make the most of it.

Wolfbrae on yet another grey and wet January day.

View attachment 479278 View attachment 479279
Very nice, Steve. All the greys work well together.

Covet, now there's the reason why St. Peter will have some awkward questions for me, however I have kept a copy as an example, probably won't get me in but it's worth a try. This week's copy is simply all about the mint green hue.
View attachment 479282
Hückel Platin velour
Timeless cool, Stefan? You invented it.
Thank you, Robert. Coveting a hat is probably not counted as a cardinal sin, so I think you're good.

Ah, the hats of the week. I do enjoy seeing your post. This morning I am struck certainly by the hats, but noticing the scarf and topcoact selections. The red scarf and patterned scarfs add some color to January. Cheers!

Eric -
Thank you, Eric. Much appreciated. Your Wormser of today is the standout hat this time. They made such good looking hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points