Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
This week.

Stetson Playboy.

i-6qbqwzc-M.jpg

i-zkm3PLS-M.jpg

Stetson Whippet.

i-DmKN3ps-M.jpg

i-t25WN2F-M.jpg

i-j6FGZ8P-M.jpg

i-6JThBfT-M.jpg

PHD fino fino, PHD fino and a Sunbody.

i-mXQLjf8-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

IMG_20230630_174502059_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230630_174347276_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

Stetson Select Quality - Black
About 4 3/4 crown as shaped
2 inch grosgrain ribbon
2 1/2 brim with overwelt

With I’m sure over 100 years of dirt and dust accumulated on it, this Stetson Select Quality was quite a bit more dirty than could be seen from the seller’s single photo of the outside. But after a very heavy brushing, the dark black felt was coming back to life. It spent most of its life it would appear in a very deep center dent with likely side dents. The creases long the previous side dents were kind of severe and the hat mostly wanted to fold into itself whenever returning to the center dent. A big heavy does of steam and more brushing seems to have smooth out some of the crease and returned some of the integrity of the felt. The crown has a lot to work with.. I didn’t measure it open. But it’s standing about 4 3/4 as I shaped into this wide tear drop in order to drop some the crown height without giving it too much taper. It also helps me make the most of two small tears.. one in the pinch and one at the aft. The 2 1/2 brim is formed with an over welt and then rolled slightly around the sides and back of the brim… sort of cambered. Then the front is tugged down in the style of a vintage bowler brim.

The hat was originally sold at The Busy Big Store in Luddington, Michigan for what appears to be $6.30. As much as I want to see if there is a manufacturer tag and Lot # Stamp inside the sweat.. I resisted the urge as even though the sweat appears in decent shape, I do not want to damage the old leather trying to get a peek behind. I believe the taped seam and small circle size tag do point to a bit older hat.. but I don’t know.. I would think 10s or 20s might be reasonable estimate. If someone has more insite, that would be great.

I’m not sure if I am set on this crease.. it definitely prefers its center dent with side dents in a Cowboy or bankers crease…. But I’m not sure that I do.
IMG_20230630_174556682_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_4055.jpeg
IMG_20230630_173112287_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230630_173145818_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230630_173236829_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_4057.jpeg
IMG_4056.jpeg

Great get Joe! You have it well on it's way back to life. Now we just need to see who wins the crease war -- you or the hat.

I have some stuff on the Busy Big Store I can put up in the "Show Us Your Vintage Hat Store" thread (if you won't mind).
Thanks Bob Go for it. I look forward to reading!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Working from home today, having the time of [my life]... my newest Fez just arrived in the post. Fez-o-Rama's Official "Screen Accurate" Sons of the Desert Fez:

View attachment 529248
Oh wow, Edward, that is just fab-u-lous. Kudos to you. I came looking for Stefan, (Steur,) and got treated to your amazing fez. Brilliant!

Stefan, I'm going to have to miss a week in hats, I haven't got a note from my mother, but Tina and I are off to a jolly with the Hooray Henry's. https://www.tickettailor.com/events/poloeventslimited/941202? The fellow who made my blazer has pushed the boat out and treated us to an event that wouldn't even come up on our radar.

My tailor, having seen the photo of Tina and I on the MG run earlier in the year, suggested that we wear the same tomorrow. Eccentrics that we are, how could we refuse?

Ruby & The 2023 MG NFR 005.JPG

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Newly arrived circa 1930s/40s French Ryn'H heather wool felt. Couldn't resist wearing this one on an evening walk in the cooler temperature this evening in Elsinore.

Thanks to Stefan for sending me this one my way.

View attachment 529371 View attachment 529372
I'm really happy you got that one: I was tempted to ask Stefan about this beauty myself. Now I know it's in good hands and looks great on you!

JeffOYB

Vendor
I had an awesome hat experience yesterday. I brought a trashed old PHD Optimo on a trip. Might not get many more rolls out of this one! It's splitting in half. Other cracks popping through. (I even wore it biking at top well-dressed pace!) Even so, I didn't see a nicer hat in 10 days in the fine city I visited. (Sad to say.) Yesterday I went into a favorite place and a guy immediately said "Nice hat" and shook my hand. A little funny. Went into another much nicer place and the first guy I passed also said "Nice hat." That's where I took the pic. One of my all-time favorite places. Then I was delivered to the airport -- not driving! Can anyone tell where?

View attachment 528387
Aww, c'mon -- did everyone know where this photo was taken? Too easy? ...MUSSO'S!

Newly arrived circa 1930s/40s French Ryn'H heather wool felt. Couldn't resist wearing this one on an evening walk in the cooler temperature this evening in Elsinore.

Thanks to Stefan for sending me this one my way.

View attachment 529371 View attachment 529372
Glad it found a good home, Steve. Goes very well with the beard!
View attachment 529398 View attachment 529399

Stetson Select Quality - Black
About 4 3/4 crown as shaped
2 inch grosgrain ribbon
2 1/2 brim with overwelt

With I’m sure over 100 years of dirt and dust accumulated on it, this Stetson Select Quality was quite a bit more dirty than could be seen from the seller’s single photo of the outside. But after a very heavy brushing, the dark black felt was coming back to life. It spent most of its life it would appear in a very deep center dent with likely side dents. The creases long the previous side dents were kind of severe and the hat mostly wanted to fold into itself whenever returning to the center dent. A big heavy does of steam and more brushing seems to have smooth out some of the crease and returned some of the integrity of the felt. The crown has a lot to work with.. I didn’t measure it open. But it’s standing about 4 3/4 as I shaped into this wide tear drop in order to drop some the crown height without giving it too much taper. It also helps me make the most of two small tears.. one in the pinch and one at the aft. The 2 1/2 brim is formed with an over welt and then rolled slightly around the sides and back of the brim… sort of cambered. Then the front is tugged down in the style of a vintage bowler brim.

The hat was originally sold at The Busy Big Store in Luddington, Michigan for what appears to be $6.30. As much as I want to see if there is a manufacturer tag and Lot # Stamp inside the sweat.. I resisted the urge as even though the sweat appears in decent shape, I do not want to damage the old leather trying to get a peek behind. I believe the taped seam and small circle size tag do point to a bit older hat.. but I don’t know.. I would think 10s or 20s might be reasonable estimate. If someone has more insite, that would be great.

I’m not sure if I am set on this crease.. it definitely prefers its center dent with side dents in a Cowboy or bankers crease…. But I’m not sure that I do.
View attachment 529400 View attachment 529401 View attachment 529402 View attachment 529403 View attachment 529404 View attachment 529405 View attachment 529406
Ticks all the boxes, Joe. Wonderful.
Oh wow, Edward, that is just fab-u-lous. Kudos to you. I came looking for Stefan, (Steur,) and got treated to your amazing fez. Brilliant!

Stefan, I'm going to have to miss a week in hats, I haven't got a note from my mother, but Tina and I are off to a jolly with the Hooray Henry's. https://www.tickettailor.com/events/poloeventslimited/941202? The fellow who made my blazer has pushed the boat out and treated us to an event that wouldn't even come up on our radar.

My tailor, having seen the photo of Tina and I on the MG run earlier in the year, suggested that we wear the same tomorrow. Eccentrics that we are, how could we refuse?

View attachment 529494
You and Tina always get a pass, Robert! :)

I'm really happy you got that one: I was tempted to ask Stefan about this beauty myself. Now I know it's in good hands and looks great on you!
Would have been too small for you, Matt.
Weird weather change in Denmark. Cooler temperatures, wind, and rain. Took a late evening walk in my Resistol Western XXX Beaver.

View attachment 529738
Got some coller weather here as well (thank goodness). Always have some trouble with wider brims and wind though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran