Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Aaarrgghhh!! Sorry, Joe. Too many hats in my head at one time. This one is NOT a bound brim, but a Cavanagh. Or is it wrong to call it a Cavanagh on a Stetson? God, I'm such a noob at this! View attachment 607369 View attachment 607370 View attachment 607371

Great hat Voodoo - lovely inside and out and suits you well!

Stetson’s version of the Cavanagh Edge was called the Mode Edge and I won’t attempt to explain the difference between a Mode Edge and what you have (there’s lots of discussion throughout the lounge if you search). The Mode Edge is supposedly the top shelf brim style but I might like your style a little bit better.

My favorite hat currently is a Mallory Ten with the similar style of trim you have but folded under instead of over (so that it’s only visible on the underside of the brim). I really like the feel of the sharp edge on my thumb when I put it on, whereas the Mode Edge feels more like a lump between my fingers (but for that, it is easier to grasp). But aesthetically, I am a little more attracted to sharp edges than to gentle slopes.

My Mallory Ten has a stitch in it, but honestly I think it’s mostly decoration (and I love it).
View attachment 607372
View attachment 607373
Ahh. That makes sense. I thought my eyes were deceiving me. I was thinking mode edge (Cavanagh) as well. This one might be the version they ended up calling Selv-edge. Which looked much like a ME but was a different process.

whatever the case it is one beautiful hat and more importantly looks great on you!

VoodooSan

A-List Customer
Ahh. That makes sense. I thought my eyes were deceiving me. I was thinking mode edge (Cavanagh) as well. This one might be the version they ended up calling Selv-edge. Which looked much like a ME but was a different process.

whatever the case it is one beautiful hat and more importantly looks great on you!
Thanks. Randall and I were chatting, and he also said Selv-edge.

A beautiful crisp spring day is perfect for a semi-annual shpatzir with this Dunlap duplex. Era unknown but my guess is c.1940. Has the Sizor adjustable sweatband which was an HCA feature used around this time.

041624_1.jpg

041624_6.jpg

041624_2.jpg

041624_3.jpg

041624_5.jpg

041624_4.jpg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
A beautiful crisp spring day is perfect for a semi-annual shpatzir with this Dunlap duplex. Era unknown but my guess is c.1940. Has the Sizor adjustable sweatband which was an HCA feature used around this time.

View attachment 607386

View attachment 607387

View attachment 607391

View attachment 607390

View attachment 607388

View attachment 607389
Another amazing and unique hat. I feel blessed just to see your collection online. Fascinating adjustable size mechanism on that one as well!

Am I correct to assume “shpatzir” is some kind of a walk (I’m thinking a communal walk of some traditional significance?)? It sounds like maybe the Yiddish version of “spazieren gehen”, the German expression meaning simply “to go walking.”

Another amazing and unique hat. I feel blessed just to see your collection online. Fascinating adjustable size mechanism on that one as well!

Am I correct to assume “shpatzir” is some kind of a walk (I’m thinking a communal walk of some traditional significance?)? It sounds like maybe the Yiddish version of “spazieren gehen”, the German expression meaning simply “to go walking.”
Thank you... and yes, shpatzir is Yiddish for a stroll. My mom used to say "the dog needs a shpatzir... get your shoes on!"

VoodooSan

A-List Customer

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thank you... and yes, shpatzir is Yiddish for a stroll. My mom used to say "the dog needs a shpatzir... get your shoes on!"
Ah-hah, so this semi-annual shpatzir is not special in any particular way except that it is under the Dunlap duplex? I had imagined you in a group walk of some kind under the hat with maybe others in particularly unique items.

When I lived in Italy there was a nightly tradition of dressing up in fine clothes and walking about the pedestrian zone greeting one another from about 4:30 pm to 7ish. “La Passeggiata” is gone now (at least in that part of Sardinia) and it’s a shame - it was beloved in its time.

Happy shpatzir!

I have been exclusively under the brim of my new Melton this week, but for TAR Tuesday I switched out to this Beaver Brand to get a bit of yard work out of the way.

This hat makes me think of Curious George’s friend, The Man in the Yellow Hat - a favorite book series when I was a child.

View attachment 607399
View attachment 607400
View attachment 607401
View attachment 607402
View attachment 607403
View attachment 607404
Curious indeed said the man.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I have been exclusively under the brim of my new Melton this week, but for TAR Tuesday I switched out to this Beaver Brand to get a bit of yard work out of the way.

This hat makes me think of Curious George’s friend, The Man in the Yellow Hat - a favorite book series when I was a child.

View attachment 607399
View attachment 607400
View attachment 607401
View attachment 607402
View attachment 607403
View attachment 607404
What a colour, Nathan.

I'd love to find a yellow hat like Curious George's friend's. That little fella was a favourite of my daughters when they were small.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Curious indeed said the man.
“Be a good little monkey till I come back!”

It’s a kind of messianic sub-text, I believe. George inevitably gets in hot water and the yellow hat shows up to save the day. Deus ex fedora, I suppose.

What a colour, Nathan.

I'd love to find a yellow hat like Curious George's friend's. That little fella was a favourite of my daughters when they were small.
I say they were a favorite but I actually only ever had one of those books of my own. For some reason my folks wouldn’t get me anymore: apparently I wanted to emulate George too much for their comfort.

Ah-hah, so this semi-annual shpatzir is not special in any particular way except that it is under the Dunlap duplex? I had imagined you in a group walk of some kind under the hat with maybe others in particularly unique items.

When I lived in Italy there was a nightly tradition of dressing up in fine clothes and walking about the pedestrian zone greeting one another from about 4:30 pm to 7ish. “La Passeggiata” is gone now (at least in that part of Sardinia) and it’s a shame - it was beloved in its time.

Happy shpatzir!
Great info... thanks. My wife's family is from different regions in Italy - the Salerno family has the name Passeggiata.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Great info... thanks. My wife's family is from different regions in Italy - the Salerno family has the name Passeggiata.
Oh I never heard of it as a family name, very interesting. The word also means the area of the city where pedestrians go to shop, and I wonder if the family name has some connection to that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner