Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

“Be a good little monkey till I come back!”

It’s a kind of messianic sub-text, I believe. George inevitably gets in hot water and the yellow hat shows up to save the day. Deus ex fedora, I suppose.

I say they were a favorite but I actually only ever had one of those books of my own. For some reason my folks wouldn’t get me anymore: apparently I wanted to emulate George too much for their comfort.
I enjoyed reading them to my son way back when.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thanks Nathan. It’s maybe a case of where normal conventional wisdom would be to keep the finest hats for special occasions…. But when it comes to thin ribbons… this is the one I wear most. (One exception may be a beat up sweated out 6X I keep in my yardwork rotation)
My answer is that’s why I need at least two of all the best ones - so I can wear one regularly and save the other for special occasions. So obviously you are in need of a second 7X, Joe!

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
That felt is beautiful in the low sun!

Is the 100 that special? Is it that much more special than say a 7x or even a 25 of the same era?

I’ve never handled one - is it worthy of grail status?
Thanks, Nathan! I'm lucky to have found it. I wish I could help with your questions, but as others will attest I'm not qualified to answer. If you have the opportunity to acquire any of the said hats, though, I would recommend it.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thanks, Nathan! I'm lucky to have found it. I wish I could help with your questions, but as others will attest I'm not qualified to answer. If you have the opportunity to acquire any of the said hats, though, I would recommend it.
Wow not qualified to answer?! Whoever claimed that likely holds a number of other opinions I would disagree with. You have one of the best collections I have seen in the Lounge and have obviously handled more unique felts than I ever imagined existed.

Thanks for the recommendation on the 100 - if I can get one for a reasonable price, I’ll jump on it.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I picked up my 100 several years ago when they were still in the sub $300 range, so I don't have any current info. If the decision is based on some substantial price difference, I would not hesitate to pick up another 7X CB.

Thanks Randy, that is a real beauty!

I suppose I am curious about the comparison between a 7x and a 100 given the cost difference even today. I regularly see 100s priced in the 7-800 dollar range and wonder if they are really worth that much more than a 7x (I see them more in the 300 dollar range).

One day perhaps I will get to find out, but until then I have to admit that even only in photos it is clear that they are high quality.

7X CB with a McNally (Ireland) cherryburst OM.
20210819_174706.jpg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I picked up my 100 several years ago when they were still in the sub $300 range, so I don't have any current info. If the decision is based on some substantial price difference, I would not hesitate to pick up another 7X CB.

7X CB with a McNally (Ireland) cherryburst OM.
View attachment 607478
Fantastic photo Randy - that 7X is beautiful, as is the McNally!

GHT

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner