Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"What is it about the reccession that makes one feel quite wealthy?"

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is about perspective. I could have gotten into and stayed in a corporate environment and been "safe".

Not in my blood. I started my first taxation bookkeeping bus when I was 14 went on to law school etc etc and never stopped until I retired at 40.

The price was financial ups and downs, relationships fast and fleeting and a lot moving around.

Now I can concentrate on my music.

However, I will never forget how I got here. Hopefully, I will always be grateful.;)

Foofoogal

Banned
However, I will never forget how I got here. Hopefully, I will always be grateful.

Absolutely, I am no.9 of 11 children. I am exceedingly grateful and mostly just concerned for my children and grandchildren.
I miraculously sold my home with perfect timing as they are now talking reevaluation of properties to fit incomes which sort of blows my mind.

It is very hard to live somewhere for 15 years and have to leave home, friends, and move away from family and I think because of all the changes in economy it is doubly hard, but in perspective of your friend a drop in the bucket.
I am very sorry you have lost your friend.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
Carlisle Blues said:
It is about perspective. I could have gotten into and stayed in a corporate environment and been "safe".

Not in my blood. I started my first taxation bookkeeping bus when I was 14 went on to law school etc etc and never stopped until I retired at 40.

The price was financial ups and downs, relationships fast and fleeting and a lot moving around.

Now I can concentrate on my music.

However, I will never forget how I got here. Hopefully, I will always be grateful.;)

Well, corporate life was anything but safe for me. I was laid off from three jobs in a row (jobs I relocated across the country, back, and then somewhere else for) because of mergers. I, too, know about financial ups and downs, temporary relationships and moving around like a gypsy. But I'm out of it now. Crossing my fingers for everyone, and certainly not feeling glee at anyone's sufferings now.

JasonCT

New in Town
I like many of you are rather frugal, and don't have much debt.

I guess I feel wealthy when I am with my family and know that they are ok.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, I can't say I've been frugal, so we've got a lot more debt than we should have. On the plus side, last October I finally landed a full-time job in my field after retiring from the USAF in 2005. It's not in management, which is where I was in the Air Force, in fact I'm now a hands-on technician--something I haven't been since 1990.

But... the pay, while not what I was making in the AF, is pretty good for this area, the company is growing, this year they started a matching program for their 401(k), and it's one that actively, from the top down, works hard at maintaining a positive work atmosphere. At a training session for all Ohio associates, attended by the president/owner and most of the company's VPs and other corporate staff, I realized that there wasn't a single person in the room that I did not like and enjoy working with. That's saying something when you're talking about 70 people.

I'm having fun and enjoying my job, earning a decent salary that's enabling us to pay off bills, and don't feel like my job is in danger at all. And I have the job because I reluctantly accepted an adjunct instructor's position and was in the right place at the right time when they decided they needed an IT guy in Ohio.

So, for the first time since I retired, my wife and I have full-time jobs simultaneously. I feel incredibly lucky to have found work when so many people are losing their jobs. I sometimes have a hard time believing it. Lucky, fortunate, blessed, grateful, whatever you want to call it... I'm all of those things, and more.

Regards,
Tom

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I feel wealthy because...

1. I have a job that (barely) pays the mortgage, and I can make the rest of the money I need in various other ways. I won't be able to save or get rich, but I will have a roof over my head and food on the table. The bank really owns the house, so far, so it is like paying expensive rent, but if we can somehow refinance before the rate changes in 2012, we may yet come out ahead. So we are better off than many.

2. I have friends and family that I can fall back on (and they can count on me) in case things get really dire. And of course, I am not alone, I have the best husband in the world.

3. I have my health, my brains, my talent, and my sense of humor. Many people have none of those, and therefore no resources to fall back on.

4. Although our country is in bad shape, I now have hope.

5. I have the Fedora Lounge to kvetch to when things are rough!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou