Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it you want more than anything...?

carter

I'll Lock Up
K

killertomata

Right now? I want my boyfriend's father to be released from this mortal coil and move on. He's stuck between life and death right now... this is so unfair.

He's one of the "Chosin few"- a Marine in the Korean War who was one of the few who survived the Battle of Chosin Reservoir. He's been suffering dementia for years, and heart problems, and it all seems to have come to a head.

His pacemaker is keeping his heart going when it wouldn't otherwise be beating, he's just had a third heart attack and is in severe dementia. While they have do not revive directives in place, they can't remove something already at work in his body. So he is stuck in a body that's not working, and he's not really even here anymore... he deserves to rest now.

I think it might be a gift that he is, in his mind, enjoying drives and good meals. We talked with him, while he was in his other world laying there in the hospital bed, and he was saying, "I just want to keep going."

So.. sorry for the digression... yeah, what I want is for the man to be able to move on now, go gently into the goodnight, and get the rest he so richly deserves. And for his family to be able to say goodnight and goodbye, and see you later, instead of watching this once incredibly strong man reduced to this.

carter

I'll Lock Up
killertomata said:
Right now? I want my boyfriend's father to be released from this mortal coil and move on. He's stuck between life and death right now... this is so unfair.

He's one of the "Chosin few"- a Marine in the Korean War who was one of the few who survived the Battle of Chosin Reservoir. He's been suffering dementia for years, and heart problems, and it all seems to have come to a head.

His pacemaker is keeping his heart going when it wouldn't otherwise be beating, he's just had a third heart attack and is in severe dementia. While they have do not revive directives in place, they can't remove something already at work in his body. So he is stuck in a body that's not working, and he's not really even here anymore... he deserves to rest now.

I think it might be a gift that he is, in his mind, enjoying drives and good meals. We talked with him, while he was in his other world laying there in the hospital bed, and he was saying, "I just want to keep going."

So.. sorry for the digression... yeah, what I want is for the man to be able to move on now, go gently into the goodnight, and get the rest he so richly deserves. And for his family to be able to say goodnight and goodbye, and see you later, instead of watching this once incredibly strong man reduced to this.

killertomata, There is no need to apologize. What you want for this gentleman touches us all.

My heart goes out to this gentleman, his family, and you.

Usually the phrase, "i know how you feel.", just seems trite.

However, I do know how you feel. My Dad suffered from dementia for a number of years after a full and productive life. There are no words to describe the suffering inflicted by this debilitating disease. It is absolutely heartrending to see someone once so vital reduced to this state.

Thankfully, my Dad died from a heart attack while sleeping. It was a quiet and merciful end to his journey here on earth.

My prayers are with this fallen warrior who served his country nobly, his family, and you.

Carter

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
M Tatterscratch and Sally - Thank you for sharing those clips, Shine On Harvest Moon has always been a song near and dear to my heart. I always imagine it being sung to a ukelele accompanyment.

If you enjoy this sort of music, I recommend watching the recent DVD release of the Al Jolson movie, The Jazz Singer. Disc 3 of the set contains 4 hours of early Vitaphone musical shorts that are absolutely delightful to watch. I stayed up until 4 in the morning last Saturday night watching them all. Many of the shorts are vaudville performers singing and or playing similar musical standards of the era. I really wish they would release more of these shorts on DVD.

Edward

Bartender
One of my great regrets is that I didn't try to make it as a performer when I was younger. I would love to be able to be in a financially secure enough position that I could drop the day job and go for it now - hell, even if it meant being a "background artiste (extra) for the rest of my life. Just oncebefore I die I would dearly, dearly love to play the MC in Cabaret.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I can't imagine getting married and having a family, but I would like to fall in love at least once. Even if it only lasts a little while and even if I get my heart broken.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I want The Mister to feel better.... the way he felt when we first met. And for the law suit (just filed) to be over, and us to be the winners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred