Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it you want more than anything...?

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
carter said:
T. Pan, Miss Ada Veen, and Jovan,
If I may be so bold, I suggest we begin a new thread based on Miss Ada Veen's post on another thread and the continuation of those thoughts on this thread.
The period in Great Britain that we are speaking of is necessarily limited by the Great War at it's terminus and a period somewhat congrouswith the Boer War as it's inception.
Rather than monopolize this, or any other, thread, I suggest a thread that is evocative of the Victorian Era.
What do you think?
Carter

Yes! I'm in, Carter, if the others are.

Funny you should mention the Boer War - I am coincidentally listening to Harry MacDonough's version of "Goodbye Dolly Gray" as I write this...

And could someone please point me to Ms. Veen's famed original post? I can't seem to find it.

Regards,

T.

Jovan

Suspended
M Tatterscratch said:
Carter, Ms. Veen, and Jovan,

You're all welcome in my corner of the world - My kind of folks, you are.

I had very good models for such a couple, Carter. My parents are high-school sweethearts, married for 55 years this February past. I didn't come along until quite late in the game, so my parents are older than those of most of my peers. I always say that I got one of the last good raisings in America. Consequently I've remained unmarried quite deliberately because I'm determined to do it once and correctly, like they did.

Lemonade and Cousin Lois' Pound Cake,

T.

P.S. - Carter, I always picture you in uniform now. Ms. Veen, you're always in sepiatone and accompanied by the tune of "La Golondrina", and Jovan, I truly imagine you have the nerve pinch.
Thanks. You're a gentleman and a scholar! And, if only... it would solve a great number of problems I have.

What I really want is the job at Gamestop.

Rosie

One Too Many
I'd like to know for sure that the person I am choosing is the right person for me.

Also, I'd like my sister to stop being such a ding dong. She can be rather annoying and quite a pest. :(

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
M Tatterscratch said:
Jovan,

You're a genius! What a charming thread this is! You all sound like such lovely people - We SHOULD found our own town!

I'd like a little corner of the world where it's still the first morning of spring, somewhere around 1910. Birds are shaking the dew from their wings on the high, green hedge around my house. Someone is baking bread. My hands give off the scent of the talcum my wife uses to powder her arms. In the distance, at the bandstand on the green, the town band is practicing for tonight's dance, playing "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" without any irony whatsoever.

In a few years I'll have a war to go to, and will never see what the world will become.

Adjusting my Rose-Coloured Glasses,

T.

There seems to be quite a few of us with rose-coloured glasses.

I have dreams of a similar house, except that I am sitting underneath a arbor in the garden at night. The moon is full and bright and I'm watching the moonflowers and angel's trumpets open and can smell their heady jasmine-esque scent. It also just happens to be the one week in summer when all luna months hatch and search for mates and they are flying about the flowers. I don't hear the strains of "Let Me Call You Sweetheart," but instead hear the strains of "Shine on Harvest Moon" coming from a neighbors open window. Then my husband joins me and we sit together quietly holding hands with no need for words.

Back to reality of my office...

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
At this moment, what I want is that all strikes stop in France .... That the trains continue to ride, that the public transport services operating properly ... I wish that people can go to work normally ... I wish that universities are no longer blocked ... I would like that the social climate is getting better...

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pennycarrol said:
At this moment, what I want is that all strikes stop in France .... That the trains continue to ride, that the public transport services operating properly ... I wish that people can go to work normally ... I wish that universities are no longer blocked ... I would like that the social climate is getting better...

I was in France many years ago, and on the first day of the strikes. It is really hard to get around if the trains aren't running. My sympathies.

Vintage Betty

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
BeBopBaby said:
I don't hear the strains of "Let Me Call You Sweetheart," but instead hear the strains of "Shine on Harvest Moon" coming from a neighbors open window.

How lovely! Simply wonderful song. Is someone singing it, or playing the piano, or is it a phonograph recording?

My mother used to sing me that song when I was little.

Shi-iiiii-nnne onnnnn, shine on harrrr-vest mooooooon,
up in the skyyyyyyyyy...
I-IIII Aiiiiiinnnn't had no lo-vin' since Jan-u-ary, Feb-ru-ary, June or Ju-ly...

You folks are psychic - Yesterday Carter mentioned the Boer War as I was listening to "Goodbye Dolly Gray", and now Mrs. B. mentions "Shine On, Harvest Moon" as I've been listening to Nora Bayes' famous version of "Over There". She and her husband wrote the song and premiered it in '08 at the Zeigfield Follies. Ah, for the days!

Neato,

T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou