Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it you want more than anything...?

Ada Veen

Practically Family
M Tatterscratch said:
Really? In this thread? I didn't see it. I knew I liked her for a reason - If she weren't spoken for, I'd wink at her so much she'd think I had a facial tic. ;)
T.

:eek: If you weren't spoken for, I'd write my forename and your surname all over my exercise books in my best handwriting! ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
A perfect day.

Ada Veen said:
:eek: If you weren't spoken for, I'd write my forename and your surname all over my exercise books in my best handwriting! ;)

Should you two lovely people happen to meet, properly chaperoned of course, I recommend a picnic and punting on the Thames.
This to be followed by tea with cucumber sandwiches.
Later there will be croquet on the lawn.
In the evening, we will all dress for dinner and have a wonderful meal and charming conversation.
After dinner, we will adjourn to the drawing room for an aperitif and be entertained as Ms. Ada Veen sings accompanied by T. on the piano.
As the our day draws to a close, we will bid one another good evening and retire to our rooms for a blissful night's rest.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'Caught In A Dream'

"I need a houseboat, and I need a plane. I need a butler and a trip to spain. I need everything this world owes me. I tell that to myself, and I agree"

-Vincent Fournier

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
carter said:
Should you two lovely people happen to meet, properly chaperoned of course, I recommend a picnic and punting on the Thames.

Carter,

This sounds like a fine idea, Sir, for a great many reasons. I have a dear friend who gives a croquet party every year at the end of summer in Ohio - I do wish I could gather you folks together for it, or the train trip to the Blue Lantern, or dances at the Glendora, or any number of other things!

Although it is rather less, shall we say, "Gallic" than the proper picture you paint, your description puts me in mind of Paul Verlaine's delightful poem, "On the Grass", which I give here. The translation by Gertrude Hall is linguistically inexact but gives the sense of the thing to English-speaking minds very well, I think:

The abb?© rambles.--"You, marquis,
Have put your wig on all awry."
"This wine of Cyprus kindles me
Less, my Camargo, than thine eye!"

"My passion"--"Do, mi, sol, la, si."
"Abb?©, your villainy lies bare."
"Mesdames, I climb up yonder tree
And fetch a star down, I declare."

"Let each kiss his own lady, then
The others."--"Would that I were, too,
A lap-dog!"--"Softly, gentlemen!"
"Do, mi."--"The moon!"--"Hey, how d'ye do?"

and for good measure, en Francais:

L'abb?© divague. - Et toi, marquis,
Tu mets de travers ta perruque.
Ce vieux vin de Chypre est exquis;
Moins, Camargo, que votre nuque.

Ma flamme . . . Do, mi, sol, la, si.
L'abb?©, ta noirceur se d?©voile.
Que je meure, mesdames, si
Je ne vous d?©croche une ?©toile.

Je voudrais ?™tre petit chien!
Embrassons nos berg?®res, l'une
Apr?®s l'autre, Messieurs, eh bien?
Do, mi, sol. - H?©! bonsoir la Lune!

Picnic basket in hand,

T.

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
carter said:
It's in the Our Vintage Town thread.

Ada Veen said:
I don't know if it's just because I'm English, but I'd like my vintage town to have snowy Decembers... allotments... cottages with thatched roofs... a cosy little pub with locally brewed ale....a village green with a maypole... wildflower hedgerows... piebald gypsy horses tethered on the grass verges... cornfields...a stream with ducks and geese... maybe even a little church and nunnery... all very William Blake.

Is this it, I imagine, Carter? Lovely, and exotic to me, since I grew up in the South. I'd probably have been English if the Stork had given me a choice, though.

When I was living in England, I lived with a family in a place called Bone March, on Heamoor outside of Penzance for a bit, and I really loved walking into town - stone walls running hither-and-yon along the road, and trees that no one had dreamt of pruning into submission. I wasn't in my full-on vintage phase yet, but if I were back there again, I imagine it would be just a matter of time before I'd transform into Dick Turpin and go ripping lickety-split along those little roads on Black Bess. Do wish I'd gotten to see more of the countryside in other parts of the U.K....

Miss Veen's little home village sounds lovely. Makes me wish for Uncle Monty's cottage by Crow Crag in "Withnail & I" - preferably minus Monty wrestling me into a corner sans kit, though.

Ms. Veen, if you're reading this, is your little piece of heaven still there, I hope? Did the Rom ever pass through in your people's day, or had they left the roads by then? My mother still remembers the chain gangs working on the roads and cutting brush when she was a little girl, and the road boss coming to the door to ask for water for the convicts...

My old family place has passed out of my family, due to my uncle's foolishness, alas. My grandfather's farm, Mount Fern, is an historic home in Madison, County, Virginia. A wonderful place built before the War, with a spiral staircase, a secret step in the stairs to hide valuables from soldiers, a working dairy and sawmill, overseer's house, smokehouse, barn and silos, boxwood hedgerows, and even its own ghost, which I saw as a child of eight...

God Save the Village Green,

T.

Edward

Bartender
M Tatterscratch said:
Miss Veen's little home village sounds lovely. Makes me wish for Uncle Monty's cottage by Crow Crag in "Withnail & I" - preferably minus Monty wrestling me into a corner sans kit, though.

"MONTY, YOU TERRIBLE C['ant use that word in polite society]!"

lol

Ada Veen

Practically Family
M Tatterscratch said:
That film has caused me to actively seek occasions for using the phrase, "Take the ba***rd Axe to him"...

From the Other Place,

T.

(throws deep heat to floor in disgust)
"there's nothing left for you."

Ada Veen

Practically Family
M Tatterscratch said:
Hmmm... I sense a screening somewhere in the future. I wonder if our fellow Loungers have all seen this fine piece of cinema, as well. After all, it does have its relevance. I think I'll ask...

Regards,

T.

We would have to back-to-back it with 'The Women' to make up for the strange lack of female characters.

carter

I'll Lock Up
M Tatterscratch said:
Only if we have the cut with the fashion show during intermission...
Popping the Popcorn (over the fire, of course),
T.
:eek:fftopic:

OK, I surrender.
What is the name of this film that you three are discussing?
Is it "Withnail & I"?
I feel like I just walked into "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" at intermission.
[huh]

Ada Veen

Practically Family
It is withnail & i. Here in the uk everyone has seen it, but being a British film, it may be a bit obscure everywhere else!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters