Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What IS the best modern production fedora?

Magus

Practically Family
Ok…we have repeatedly heard that the modern Borsalinos are no where near the vintage ones and I would agree. However, what would you consider the best modern production fedora? Would Borsalino still be able to claim the “best hat made” award?

Let’s hear it…

M

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Thats a tough question . Borsalino makes the most expensive production hat. That dosen't mean the "best" hat . Its still a better hat when compared to Stetson and Bailey . There are other companies such as Puerto Fino from Columbia and Lagomarsino from Argentina that make very good hats for the money . Then of course there is Akubra which makes a good durable hat but their dress selection is limited .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
:rolleyes:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I must add Biltmore to the list of possible candidates. I have read that a few people on this forum support them. But they can be pricy.

I also have several "Robert Hall" hats. The thing about them is the company that makes them only deal with retailers on mass quantities. So I have never seen them available on-line. The name of the manufacturer eludes me right now but if people want it, I can find out. They are all fir felt hats, several colours and styles to choose from, and cheep. When I say cheep, I mean they cost $65 Canadian. My oldest one is 10 years old and still going strong.

As usual Akubra. Good, sturdy, take anything you throw at them hat. But it is not a fine felt most people associate with a high quality fedora. Besdor I disagree with you on the selection comment. If I am not mistaken, on the hats direct web page, Fedora section, all are made by Akubra. That's at least 12 styles to choose from.
But that's just my opinion.
Johnny

epic610

One of the Regulars
Biltmore Homburg

i have an imperial quality biltmore homburg and its quality is the equal of any other hat i own . . . and that includes vintage and modern borsalino's. have a new stetson open road and vintage sovereign whose quality is in my opinion not quite that of the biltmore imperial quality.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hi Johnny . I never was aware that Akubra made that many dress styles . They aren't known for them especially here in the USA . When we carried the line , it was mostly the semi westerns like the Boomerang and the Snowy River .
Overall, they make great hats but unfortunately are very expensive to bring into the US because of the distance to where they are made.
As for Biltmore , they are a great company but the new owner is now focusing on more "urban" styles not the classics . The quality is still there . The president Quality is a fantastic hat but exspensive .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Biltmore would probably be the company that could eventually be talked into bringing back classic styles. Hatco would be a tough sell.

Brad

Adam_H

New in Town
I'd have to agree on Biltmore.

I have a modern Biltmore-made-for Miller-hats fedora I bought new as well as a like-new vintage Biltmore homborg, and I must say the newer one is made even better than the oldie.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It all depends

If you mean the "internet" hat stuff, modern, and likely what you'd find in a men's clothing store, I say Biltmore is a fine hat. My only complaint is they are too short crowned and sometimes too narrow a brim.

FOR THE PRICE, I recommend that you get a pure beaver hat from Art. You won't find a better hat, and at a super price. Plus, you can SPECIFY your color, height, width, ribbon. Where else can you find that?

riccardo

Practically Family
My impression

Hi to all,
actually my favorites not vintage hat are the Akubra and Panizza.
I've a Borsalino ,new, it is the worst...specially for the money.
I've bought a Panizza 4 years ago for 80,00 euro; then a Borsalino for 120,00 Euro one year after....Panizza is like new...Borsalino has lost the shape...the colour....

Best regards.
Riccardo.

riccardo said:
Hi to all,
I've bought a Panizza 4 years ago for 80,00 euro; then a Borsalino for 120,00 Euro one year after....Panizza is like new...Borsalino has lost the shape...the colour....

Best regards.
Riccardo.

Sembrate avere immagini del Panizza? Vorrei vederlo. Panizza ?® un nome dell'annata ma se ancora stanno rendendoli a cappelli decent potrebbero valere una prova.
Come ?® la qualit?† del feltro ed il bordo altezza di width/crown? ?à il feltro molle e supple?

Riguardi,

J

Do you happen to have pictures of the Panizza? I would like to see it. Panizza is a vintage name but if they are still making decent hats them they might be worth a try.
How is the felt quality and the brim width/crown height? Is the felt soft and supple?

Regards,

J

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I agree...

Biltmore makes a fine hat. I own several of them ranging in age from 2-30+ years old and I find the quality to be consistently good. Miller Hats on the Web has a fine selection of Biltmores produced under the Miller label. When comparing two of my newer fedoras side-by-side, my Biltmore President FAR surpasses my Borsalino in quality, appearance and durability at a third of the retail price.

riccardo

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Sembrate avere immagini del Panizza? Vorrei vederlo. Panizza ?® un nome dell'annata ma se ancora stanno rendendoli a cappelli decent potrebbero valere una prova.
Come ?® la qualit?† del feltro ed il bordo altezza di width/crown? ?à il feltro molle e supple?

Riguardi,

J

Do you happen to have pictures of the Panizza? I would like to see it. Panizza is a vintage name but if they are still making decent hats them they might be worth a try.
How is the felt quality and the brim width/crown height? Is the felt soft and supple?

Regards,

J

I'll post some pics tomorrow, my camera is in my car...and I'm pyjamas dressedlol

Best regards.
Riccardo.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
riccardo said:
I'll post some pics tomorrow, my camera is in my car...and I'm pyjamas dressedlol

La buona notte, Riccardo, dorme bene!

I thought I should say something in Italian, too.:)

Brad

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Panizza is from a very small company called Cappefilicio Falcus . They have a website. The quality is meza meza compared to Borsalino . If you want a small brim (2") in a lower priced hat , then give them a try . They also make decent casual hats .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
riccardo said:
Hi to all,

Best regards.
Riccardo.

Riccardo, is that you in you avatar picture at long last?

epic610

One of the Regulars
Panizza...

i know nothing of the quality of their hats but .....gets my vote as the hat company with the coolest website. they could change the boring music, though.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Biltmore or Akubra

I have to cast my vote for Biltmore as the best modern off-the-shelf dress hat. I have a few from Miller, and I'm confident I'll buy more. Best part is, they do have some you can get open crowned by request (best to ask them about that). But, when it comes to being durable, I trust Akubra. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you're tough on a hat, go with Akubra, but if you want a sharp, luxurious hat, go for Bilmore. :eusa_clap

besdor said:
Panizza is from a very small company called Cappefilicio Falcus . They have a website. The quality is meza meza compared to Borsalino . If you want a small brim (2") in a lower priced hat , then give them a try . They also make decent casual hats .

I checked out the website and found that I actually do have one of their hats. I have a Kanguroo water proof that I have used for quite a while now. I got it for less than $20 in a lot of other hats. I was impressed by the felt but the accoutrements were not all that impressive. This is a low end hat so let that be your guide here. The sweatband is not leather but ribbon. The ribbon is a self ribbon with a little pouch the side. Not a great look. It is certainly a Trilby and not an American style fedora. The crown is short but the brim is 2 1/2" wide. Mine is black and it is indeed water proof. The color does not run---believe me. ;)
Again, this is their lowest end model and not a dress hat by any means. I am sure they could produce better if they wanted to. It makes me even more interested in Riccardo's hat as an example of such. Perhaps an apples to apples comparision might be enlightening. I can say that even the Kanguroo has better felt than the new Borsalinos so they are already better in one class. ;)

Regards to all,

J

P.S.. I know what you mean about the music on the site. I turned it off after a few minutes of that. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael