Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your personal 'No-No' for makeup, hair, & wardrobe?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
Not sure about makeup no-nos but I have a yes-yes! I have to apply eyebrow pencil or I look (to me) so weird, washed out and eyebrowless. I have very dark hair but extremely pale eyebrows, it's so bizarre!

Oh! I also can't wear lipstick all day. I have tried many many times, but by the end of the day it looks horrendous, bleeding out down the tiny fine lines I never knew were there around my lips. I wish I knew how to prevent that.

For wardrobe, I have a ridiculously long body, no boobs at all to speak of and an ample behind. I usually wear pencil skirts as I always worry circle skirts make me look hippy. I do wear them anyway sometimes ;) I spent many years wearing low slung skater style jeans which made my body look even longer. Never again! Dressing to suit your figure is the most important thing, regardless of your style!
Mary Kay makes a lip outliner that keeps the lipstick from bleeding. Also, another tip on lipstick is outline the lip with a liner then outline the entire lip area. This way, when the lipstick fades, there will still be color on your lips.
Breasts: ok, I admit for fun I add fake 'boobs' into my bra. Walmart even has them...they're cheap and they even feel real.
I agree with dressing to what flatters your figure, otherwise you look just plain stupid! A good suggestion is to try to find a classic (or modern) actress that has the same body type as yourself and study it....then you can start finding clothes as you shop that are of the same cut.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
My biggest no-no is I won't wear anything that is not fitted through the waist. I have a decent figure and anything that does not accentuate the waist screams maternity wear to me.

sonsie

New in Town
Hello Ladies,

I'm relatively new to FL, and brand new to The Powder Room.

No orange on or near my face. I've heard about not drawing attention to circles, bags and wrinkles by leaving bottom lashes alone. I've tried, but haven't been able to yet. You've encouraged me - I can do this. Someone mentioned pale eyebrows - me too. They look non-existent, they're so pale.

Short waisted + bosomy = no skirts.

"I have not discovered the concealer that covers the red chin and to a lesser extent the red nose, forget about being long lasting:"

BegintheBeguine - have you tried Physician's Formula? Lots of great products. I use "Gentle Cover Cream Concealer" in yellow and green. It comes in different sizes and consistencies. I've used both the tiny 'lipstick' and the lip gloss applicator types. They do the same thing, but the product in the applicator is creamier. Use the green to cover up red areas and the yellow to cover blues and purples, such as dark circles. I thought they were crazy until I read that they're each other's opposites on the color wheel. You'll probably want to dab a little liquid makeup or natural-tone concealer over it. It works great.

sonsie

Elaina

One Too Many
Okay I have to be weird then. I made a shirt out of bright Halloween Orange print...and it looks good on me. All those material in odd colors that go on sale for 50 cents? Right here. Normal colors wash me out and don't look good. Is it that weird sickly pink and even sicker green combo that goes on sale from $250 for 10 bucks because no one looks good in it? I guarentee I can toss it on and look fine in it.

Makes vintage really hard to buy, but it'll be unique when I have to wear it. Anyone else this unfortunate that blue will make you look like death warmed over?

Elaina

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I have a problematic skin as it gets greasy easyly and I´ll feel dirty in the face if I leave without any make up in my face.... unless I got me Dr Feelgood by Benefit. It helps me to keep my face matte and I don´t have to use make up all the time (unless I have some pimples). So now I use it every day. I also don´t leave without at least a bit of mascara. ;)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
sonsie said:
Hello Ladies,

I'm relatively new to FL, and brand new to The Powder Room.

No orange on or near my face. I've heard about not drawing attention to circles, bags and wrinkles by leaving bottom lashes alone. I've tried, but haven't been able to yet. You've encouraged me - I can do this. Someone mentioned pale eyebrows - me too. They look non-existent, they're so pale.

Short waisted + bosomy = no skirts.

"I have not discovered the concealer that covers the red chin and to a lesser extent the red nose, forget about being long lasting:"

BegintheBeguine - have you tried Physician's Formula? Lots of great products. I use "Gentle Cover Cream Concealer" in yellow and green. It comes in different sizes and consistencies. I've used both the tiny 'lipstick' and the lip gloss applicator types. They do the same thing, but the product in the applicator is creamier. Use the green to cover up red areas and the yellow to cover blues and purples, such as dark circles. I thought they were crazy until I read that they're each other's opposites on the color wheel. You'll probably want to dab a little liquid makeup or natural-tone concealer over it. It works great.

sonsie
Welcome to the lounge Sonsie!
circles and bags under eyes: Try cutting some cucumber slices and resting them over you're eyes for awhile...this is supposedly supposed to help.
eyebrows: There's a product that I found that is pretty inexpensive for the brows. The brand is NYC and they have come out with an eyebrow kit; has wax that you dip the small brush into first then you dip it in the colored powder...it looks great.
To cover red, the best product I"ve ever used is what's called 'mellow yellow'. I think it's by Ben Nye. MK has a great make up site...here the link;
http://www.makeup411.com
this place can give you a lot of great ideas and information about products.
physician formula; I think the product is ok, but the biggest problem I had with the cream to powder foundation is that it didn't set right...would start to streak.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
No glitter.

It's just not me. Sigh!

I love a lot of darling looks out there, but they just won't do on my body. But heels higher than 3 and a half inches kill me!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I agree with the glitter free rule. I didn't even like glitter when I was 8 years old.

The other day, I saw a girl about 20 with glitter sprinkled all over her face. I wonder if that's really what she wanted people to remember about her.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
I agree with the glitter free rule. I didn't even like glitter when I was 8 years old.

The other day, I saw a girl about 20 with glitter sprinkled all over her face. I wonder if that's really what she wanted people to remember about her.
As far as glitter goes, I think it all has to do with the person's personality. My oldest daughter for example, loves the stuff, and anybody who knows her would think it goes perfect for her, whereas other people, they just can't pull it off. I can see the bouncy, cheerleader type doing that.

sonsie

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome, mysterygal.

I think I've slight bags under my eyes for 20 years, give or take 5. I've tried the cucumbers and couldn't see a difference, but man I smelled good. They're one of my favorite foods. lol I've also tried teabags.

One thing that disguises them fairly well is ..umm..Preparation H, the cream because the ointment is shiny and greasy. I use it very infrequently - a few times a month. I pat it on under the eye, keeping my distance from the eyelid itself, and because I'm a bit puffy under the brow area, I pat some on there, too. About 20 mins later it all looks tighter - not perfect, but better. I think I'll check out the brow product, sounds like it would be very natural-looking.

oooo...a makeup site! Will definitely be checking that out. I haven't tried physician's formula foundation because I hardly ever wear it. I've been wanting to try some of their multicolor powder products. They look fun.

Thanks for the tips!

sonsie

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
In high school (and a little into college) I didn't have the greatest personal appearance standards. Since then I've followed a pretty basic set of rules; based on the list, you can perhaps guess how unkempt I once looked.

- No leaving the house with wet hair.
- At the very least, moisturizer with SPF on the face.
- No tennis shoes unless going to the gym.
- No going out belt-less.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As a lover of vintage, this has been a hard-learned lesson but...NO WEARING CLOTHING WITH RIPS OR HOLES, EVEN SMALL ONES.

I have had cheaply-acquired fabulous vintage with small holes in them and even though they may be amazing, holes or tears in clothing = trashy. I see other people wearing clothing like that and wonder why they don't repair their clothing...I realized I did it myself sometimes and had to put a stop to it.

Things like jeans are an exception on some occasions, but even then I don't like the look hole-y jeans personally.

Royal

New in Town
Make-up:

- I can't wear lipstick or nail polish that's primarily red. Actually, nearly all dark colours tend to look odd on me from a make-up standpoint - just my personal opinion, though. I think they look great on others, but they're too showy for me.

Clothing:

- At the moment, I don't seem to have many real "rules". I work in a professional-ish setting, but I dress pretty casually right now - loose turtleneck sweaters and somewhat baggy pants. I have a weight problem and not much in my dresser or closet fits me consistently, which is a shame because I have some pretty nice blazers and skirts and dresses. It's a real source of frustration for me. None of my bras fit properly, either. Boo hoo. I should probably be buying plus sizes, but I can't bring myself to do it. My mom took me to Pennington's, and I tried some things on, but to no avail. That place is expensive. That's the second-hand shopper in me coming out. :)

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
No pink. Period. :)
And nothing that doesn't show off the figure. Just about everything that I wear has some special detail or feminine flair...except for that random sweatpant day that we all happen to have sometimes...;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For me its non Earth tones, as in colors not found in nautre. Im sure neon green and 'electric' blue, are not part of the world's color spectrum. *shutter*

I canwear most colors to my surprise, but I tend to stick with warm creams golds and such.

Also silver jewlery makes me look like I have to throw up. :p

LD

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Any red-looking blushes or eyeshadows (reddish pinks incl.) look really bad on me. I stick to more mauvey and peachy tones and things tend to work out better that way...

As for the hair, I need to stay away from the scissors.

I absolutely cannot wear certain shades of gold (the color, not the metal) in clothing. It just makes me look so pale and rather dead.

The worst thing I could do for my lips is a frosty pink... just the thought of it sends shivers down my spine. I really need a splash of color and I am more of a bright lipstick girl than anything else. I just like it better that way! :rolleyes: (I go with reds, wines, darker mauves, plums, bright fuschias, etc.)

Royal

New in Town
Lady Day said:
For me its non Earth tones, as in colors not found in nautre. Im sure neon green and 'electric' blue, are not part of the world's color spectrum. *shutter*

I canwear most colors to my surprise, but I tend to stick with warm creams golds and such.

Also silver jewlery makes me look like I have to throw up. :p

LD

Ah, a fellow autumn. :) I do wear silver jewellery, though.
Sorry, that's color-me-beautiful speak. Do you know of that book?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Royal said:
Ah, a fellow autumn. :)
Sorry, that's color-me-beautiful speak. Do you know of that book?

It has been brought up many a time on the lounge, but aside from that, Id never heard of it before then.

LD

crystalface

One of the Regulars
NO orange or yellows for me...

I also can't wear lowrise or super lowrise jeans. My torso is too long and my hips too wide. Plus who wants to see crack hanging out of the back.

I personally believe that green eyeshadows look yuck on me, but I can wear certain colors of green shirts etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran