Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of Hats are these?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
1952xg9.jpg

and

file07203el4.jpg

Also what kind of hat does Brando wear in the Wild One?

Jerekson

One Too Many
That style is most often referred to as a newsboy cap. There are other names too, like an 6 or 8 panel cap, but newsboy cap is the definitive.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Newsboy caps are awesome. They allow for a bit more casual dress than fedoras, while still looking sharp and unique. I have a couple for summer wear, and plan on getting a wool one in the fall.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The one in the lower picture, being slightly oversized, is often called a "Big Apple." To me they have sporting connotations when worn with 1920s or '30s garb. Unfortunately, they became sort of a charicature in the '50s.

In "The Wild One" Brando wears a police-style service cap.

-Dave

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I've known these as eight-panel caps or just panel caps. I have several in tweed that are very comfortable in colder weather. In the warmer Georgia months, am partial to this one, which is light and cool and made of linen:

One nice thing I like about them is that they can be tucked inside themselves, i.e. folded under the brim, and then slipped into a pocket or a pack.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
FedoraFan112390 said:
Also what kind of hat does Brando wear in the Wild One?
Brando's hat in "The Wild One" is sometimes known as a "Harley hat" (I know it is actually a cap) and has been sold by the Motor Company (Harley-Davidson) off and on for decades in black or white, cotton or wool, black with black or white bill etc., usually with a winged wheel patch on the peak. Once very popular with motorcyclists in the US, this cap is different from the usual military or police cap of this type in that the bill is angled downward more sharply and is somewhat shorter. I have one and can attest that it will stay on your head while riding a motorcycle at speeds in excess of 100 mph.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails