Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear for a day at the races?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
We've been invited to a day at the horse races on the day of the Preakness Stakes. The suite we will be in does have an enforced "upscale business casual" dress code, and I believe a tie is required for men. I should add that while we will be indoors, this will be warm weather so I'm thinking something summery would be in order.

Having never been to a horse race, I have no clue what to wear. My ideas are pretty much either "Pretty Woman" or Kentucky Derby mega-hat. lol I am thinking of perhaps a cotton shirtdress with some jewelry, a nice large hat (if needed), a clutch, and maybe matching heels. Too dressy, or not dressy enough?

Suggestions?

Shearer

Practically Family
I love the races! I think your wardrobe idea sounds great so far. As far as hats go, I say go all out. Here at Del Mar, the opening day is Hat Day, but after that you don't see many hats outside the clubhouse or the owners.

My only suggestion is to wear comfortable walking shoes, but I don't know how much walking you're planning to do. I usually like to go down to the paddock to see the horses and jockeys before the race, so maybe espadrilles instead of full-on heels? But then, I'm a bit of a heel wimp if I have to walk a lot in them :D

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
At the races I've been to, hardly anyone dresses up. However, I would wear a nice day dress, with wedges or Cuban-heeled shoes, stockings, gloves, and a hat (of course!)

You can always looks at the outfits worn in 'Seabiscuit' for inspiration; there were some great outfits in that one.
seabiscuit.jpg

And I forgot--Jean Harlow's last film, 'Saratoga,' had a plot involving horse racing.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice!

We will be in a suite, which from what I have seen is set up more like a large living area, with big windows - so there shouldn't be any issues of wearing the hat much, or people needing to see over me. I only plan on wearing it if we are walking outdoors any.

I don't think there is any kind of a dress code in most of the public areas. The few people I know who have gone were general admission and just wore jeans... but the area we're in has an enforced dress code, with ties required for men. So that's why I was questioning what to wear.

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
In the world of horses/horse racing, the Preakness is a pretty big deal. The Kentucky Derby is probably the biggest, but the Preakness would be a close second, so if you want to dress up, I'd say it would be a good place for it, especially in a suite.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Here's the outfit I am considering. Input/suggestions very much appreciated!

51R6hFbQLfL._SS260_.jpg

Shoes and accessories similar to this (couldn't find pics of actual items online):

41P1WJNT0JL._SS260_.jpg

Matching necklace/bracelet (I also have a red bakelite bead set that might add more color?)
41RG00E0NZL._SS260_.jpg

With this hat and clutch from my collection:

6fg5zxu.jpg

Is that too much black?

Shearer

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
Here's the outfit I am considering. Input/suggestions very much appreciated!

51R6hFbQLfL._SS260_.jpg

Shoes and accessories similar to this (couldn't find pics of actual items online):

41P1WJNT0JL._SS260_.jpg

Matching necklace/bracelet (I also have a red bakelite bead set that might add more color?)
41RG00E0NZL._SS260_.jpg

With this hat and clutch from my collection:

6fg5zxu.jpg

Is that too much black?

Personally, I don't believe in too much black ;) and I think that hat is perfect! I might do read accessories or shoes just to punch it up a bit, but you can never go wrong with pearls. Voodoo Kitten is right... the Preakness is a big deal - it's part of The Triple Crown (Derby, Preakness, Belmont) so I wouldn't be concerned about over-dressing.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Great outfit! I like the red beads for a bit of color. I think it will be perfect! And that hat looks so adorable on you! I think you hit the nail on the head.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree, I think that outfit with red accents will be perfect. A lady can never be too dressed up. A cotton shirt dress can be dressed down or dressed up according to occasion. I have pictures in my head of shows I've seen on the Kentucky Derby, the ladies all wore outfits similar to the one you have chosen.
By the way, I have the same dress! So I definitely like your choice:D You will look lovely. Have a great time, let us know how it was and take lots of pictures.

Nashoba

One Too Many
fortworthgal, I have that dress!!! I love it. I think it's a fabulous choice! I like the idea of adding red. I usually wear white shoes with white gloves and I get a lot of compliments. I think it would look beautiful with the red! Please do take pictures so we can see how gorgeous you looked!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
You look adorable!
Makes me wistful.I grew up in Louisville,Kentucky and often participated in the pre-Derby events as a child.Going to the Chuck Wagon,taking rides on the Belle of Louisville,but I dreamed of the day that I would join the ladies as an adult donning a beautiful suit or dress with the fab hat and all.You definitely captured the feeling I remember so well.
I've never made it back.Maybe I'll make it one of these years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24