Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of suit is Cary Grant wearing in this photo?

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Can someone please describe the particulars of the suit C.G. is wearing in this photo? eg. Type of fabric, pattern, color and cut?

Thanks,

Chuck

cgsuit.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
1943 4/6 DB (or four-buttoned double-breaster with extra buttons), subtle Prince-of-Wales check (?), padded shoulders, horizontal peak lapels, besom non-patch/no-flaps pockets. Probably not more than 40% of polyester :D .

But now the experts, please.

cookie

I'll Lock Up

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Thanks folks!

I'm going to try and snap some pics with better detail before the coat heads off to it's next destination, stay tuned...

Jovan

Suspended
cookie said:
CG was my mother's favourite actor. She loved him 'warts and all'. Even the later 'revelations' did not dampen her ardour. I wanted to bid but too high even with that history. Congrats Resortes!
What revelations? Besides the speculation about his hidden homosexual life, which is debatable. (But would be great if it were true.)

I think Cary Grant got much of his suits tailored on Savile Row. The fabric looks like an English worsted. Pleats are probably forward facing -- owing to Savile Row -- because of the way the creases look towards the top.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Jovan said:
I think Cary Grant had many of his suits tailored on Savile Row. The fabric looks like an English worsted. Pleats are probably forward facing -- owing to Savile Row -- because of the way the creases look towards the top.

From Esquire:

"Although Grant, who is fifty-six, favors such abominations as large tie knots and claims to have originated the square-style breast-pocket handerchief, he is so extraordinarily attractive that he looks good in practically anything. He insists upon tight armholes in his suit jackets ... Something of a maverick as to tailors, he now goes to Quintino (around $225 a suit) in Beverly Hills, California, and, whenever possible, certain of the preposterously low-priced geniuses in Hong Kong."

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
From Esquire:

"Although Grant, who is fifty-six, favors such abominations as large tie knots and claims to have originated the square-style breast-pocket handerchief, he is so extraordinarily attractive that he looks good in practically anything. He insists upon tight armholes in his suit jackets ... Something of a maverick as to tailors, he now goes to Quintino (around $225 a suit) in Beverly Hills, California, and, whenever possible, certain of the preposterously low-priced geniuses in Hong Kong."

Yeah but which ones - WW Chan for instance? I missed buying a WW Chan suit I saw in the Salvos not long ago.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
cookie said:
Yeah but which ones - WW Chan for instance? I missed buying a WW Chan suit I saw in the Salvos not long ago.

Dunno. Hong Kong or no, could've included "Jackson of Shanghai." Made wonderful stuff back then. (Pre-1949.) After that, lots of Shanghai's greatest tailors fled to -- you guessed it -- Hong Kong.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24