Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I watched Counting Cars and American RESTORATION. I think both shows have Jumped The Shark!
Both Discovery Channel and History Channel "reality TV" shows insult the viewer with hackneyed scripted scenarios that are readily known to be set-ups and not actual occurences. I'm too stupid to understand why filming the fixing of cool old junk isn't good enough to be the entire episode (rather than none of it). Or watching people actually living in Alaska isn't interesting enough without soap opera drama and concocted, impossible situations.

Have you seen Alaska Frontier? Atz can't hit a mountain goat or a black bear with a high-powered rifle, high-powered scope, and a gun rest with several shots, but he can jump off a horse and nail a wolf with a Winchester in a single shot. And then when he goes over to hide or dress it, it's stiff as a board and partially rotted. Same went for the rigor mortis brown bear he obviously didn't kill and then is shown frying up bear steaks from it. They don't even try to sell the bullshit. It's lie after lie, and a good percentage of the nonsense flies against the premise of the show. What baffles me even more is that even after being informed that these shows are scripted and set up, people still want to watch them. Pawn Stars has been exposed for most of their situations not being real, and their viewership is probably as high as ever. I guess it isn't all that surprising. People gladly buy poor quality goods and think nothing of it, so why not watch a show about homesteading that is actually a few miles from a town of 6000 people. This stuff really squeezes my shoes.

Last edited:

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
See, that's why I like my ghost, monster, and alien shows. That stuff, I can at least use for inspiration for some of my own (bad) fiction.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Breaking Brady? :confused2:

Brilliant!

I taped Rick's Restoration show, to see the Jet Pack.
I also watched one of the two Counting cars (other is on dvr).
The 34 Ford was really sharp, and a motorcycle with 4 engines?
This guy is just hoping he'll hurt himself. Jeez.

A good show that I for some reason, have a difficult time getting around to watching.
:D

I was that way last season. Always missed it...but then happened to catch an all night Justified marathon...and I was hooked. Yes..I layed in bed and watched every episode that night. My wife coulda killed me. Now it's on at 10PM Tuesday on FX. This year the bad guys are even more evil.......

Both Discovery Channel and History Channel "reality TV" shows insult the viewer with hackneyed scripted scenarios that are readily known to be set-ups and not actual occurences. I'm too stupid to understand why filming the fixing of cool old junk isn't good enough to be the entire episode (rather than none of it). Or watching people actually living in Alaska isn't interesting enough without soap opera drama and concocted, impossible situations.

Have you seen Alaska Frontier? Atz can't hit a mountain goat or a black bear with a high-powered rifle, high-powered scope, and a gun rest with several shots, but he can jump off a horse and nail a wolf with a Winchester in a single shot. And then when he goes over to hide or dress it, it's stiff as a board and partially rotted. Same went for the rigor mortis brown bear he obviously didn't kill and then is shown frying up bear steaks from it. They don't even try to sell the bullshit. It's lie after lie, and a good percentage of the nonsense flies against the premise of the show. What baffles me even more is that even after being informed that these shows are scripted and set up, people still want to watch them. Pawn Stars has been exposed for most of their situations not being real, and their viewership is probably as high as ever. I guess it isn't all that surprising. People gladly buy poor quality goods and think nothing of it, so why not watch a show about homesteading that is actually a few miles from a town of 6000 people. This stuff really squeezes my shoes.

+1 to the above on Pawn Stars, Counting Cars and American Restoration (I haven't seen Alaska Frontier, so can't comment). I especially like this line of yours:

I'm too stupid to understand why filming the fixing of cool old junk isn't good enough to be the entire episode (rather than none of it).

I know there are big debates about whether these shows should be on the History Channel, but when they focus on antiques / vintage items being brought in to pawn - their history and how to assess current value - or antiques / vintage items and cars being brought in to restore - their history and the cost and intricacies of how to restore them - I enjoy the shows and think they add value to the understanding of history. All the obviously fake family / business intrigue story lines of these shows annoy me to death and it seems that the use of these has increased this year. Why does everything seem to move in the wrong direction?

I was that way last season. Always missed it...but then happened to catch an all night Justified marathon...and I was hooked. Yes..I layed in bed and watched every episode that night. My wife coulda killed me. Now it's on at 10PM Tuesday on FX. This year the bad guys are even more evil.......

I've got to catch it on demand or Netflix. It is on too late for seeing as I get up at 4:30 AM and get off of work after 6:00 PM on Wednesdays.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic