Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
TV. ;)
Does it confuse you even more that I grew up listening to BB King and Ray Charles?
And that I know who Jellyroll Morton is? :biggrin:

No that doesn't surprise me... I know from your film discussions you've varied and wide ranging tastes in entertainment... BUT "What's Happening?" I'm not even sure that WAS entertainment, just a half hour of wonky stereotypes with dancing thrown in. But hey... to each as they say and you ain't hurtin' nobody but yourself when you watch that drivel.

Worf

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
No that doesn't surprise me... I know from your film discussions you've varied and wide ranging tastes in entertainment... BUT "What's Happening?" I'm not even sure that WAS entertainment, just a half hour of wonky stereotypes with dancing thrown in. But hey... to each as they say and you ain't hurtin' nobody but yourself when you watch that drivel.
Worf

It was amusing to me as a kid, and I still find some of it funny.
Compared to Welcome Back Kotter, What's Happening is a riot.
Oddly enough, the actress that played Dee, is a Vet now.
Apparently not only does peanut butter cause your tongue to stick to the roof of your mouth, it makes you smart. :D

YES!!!!! "The Wire" "The Sopranos" "Game of Thrones" "Breaking Bad" "The Walking Dead" etc....

Sorry man... not even effin' close!

Worf
Point taken. But to various degrees there have almost always been quality shows on television, and popular shows on television, but "quality" and "popular" often don't mean the same thing in this context. "Good" and "bad, but popular" television have coexisted for decades. For every show like The Sopranos there were a whole lot of shows like Keeping Up With the Kardashians or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo--popular, yes, but quality? That's for the viewer to decide.

Also, when What's Happening hit the airwaves in 1976 their competition was shows like Charlie's Angels and Laverne and Shirley, which didn't exactly set the bar too high. lol

Point taken. But to various degrees there have almost always been quality shows on television, and popular shows on television, but "quality" and "popular" often don't mean the same thing in this context. "Good" and "bad, but popular" television have coexisted for decades. For every show like The Sopranos there were a whole lot of shows like Keeping Up With the Kardashians or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo--popular, yes, but quality? That's for the viewer to decide.

Also, when What's Happening hit the airwaves in 1976 their competition was shows like Charlie's Angels and Laverne and Shirley, which didn't exactly set the bar too high. lol

Hey! Hey! Leave my Angels alone!:mad: And I liked What's Happening. Raj was just a good kid trying to make something of himself.

YES!!!!! "The Wire" "The Sopranos" "Game of Thrones" "Breaking Bad" "The Walking Dead" etc....

Sorry man... not even effin' close!

Worf

Aside from Walking Dead and Game of Thrones you struck out with me. The Sopranos has been gone a long time and so has their simplistic every sentence has the F word in it. :rofl:
I would trade Walking Dead for a modern equivalent of Lights Out and Game of Thrones for a modern equivalent of Tales of Tomorrow.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, and Civil War: The Untold Story. These are not the shows to watch, if you just want to veg out on the couch!

Yes, there absolutely is a gusher of garbage on TV today, but there are also so many good, high-quality shows, such as:

Boardwalk Empire
Mad Men
Downton Abbey
True Detective (outstandingly well done)
Orange is the New Black
Hell on Wheels
House of Cards
Elementary (sometimes)
The Americans (better this season)

And while they aren't all great, all the time (and many suffer fatigue in later seasons), there just isn't anything from the 70s, 80s, or 90s that compares. TV has passed movies for where the quality in media is right now.

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
Was cleaning out my DVR and still had a bunch of this season's NCIS, so I watched them... Still like the one where DiNozzo ends up shooting the gumshoe, then puts the guys fedora on, looked good in Micheal Weatherly... Towards the end he was sporting a newsboy... Something tells me his character wears hats like those far more often then we see, especially with his fondness for classic and vintage movies...

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Recorded MGM Parade because it was clips from Forbidden Planet.
What I got (thanks to Directv again...) is clips from Captain's Courageous.
Uh no.

How in the world did they come up with this show..?? The star of the show is a real work of art. Could his expressions be any more 'animated'..?? What a clown..!!
HD
That's the rage. The formula is the same each episode: a failing bar, an idiot of an owner, an unqualified staff, and the over the top rescuer. Conflict, failure, salvation. Viola! A money making show in three easy steps. :D

Oh yeah, he does appear to be a heart attack in the making.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran