Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

skydog757

A-List Customer
It never had any good ideas. I can't remember a worse show. It fails in every category, but it fails in special effects in particular. The brothel after the Chinese mowed everyone down? The spray paint they used as blood splatter...looked like they gave a can to Abel. In 2014, the one thing no show should fail at is special effects. I would be insulting amateurs if I was to label it amateurish. That entire set wasn't even worth calling kitsch. The same went for Bobby's eye in the tupperware. I've seen jawbreaker eyeballs that looked more like eyeballs. They must have a budget of $12 per episode. When Kurt Sutter was joking in that first aftershow of this season that he didn't know where it was going and that he had only written up to episode 7 to that point, I don't think he was being coy.

The above and your past postings on SOA make it clear that you REALLY don't like the show, but from your critique it's apparent that you watch it pretty closely. I'm not going to defend the show (personal taste is just that), but with all of the programming choices available what draws you to watch anything that you don't care for? I've followed shows for a while in the hopes that they might get better; if they don't improve and I don't form attachments to any of the characters I move on. If a good show jumps the shark, then again I usually move on.

I just tried a couple of episodes of "The Black List" Interesting premise but I'm not sure I'm in love with it yet though.

Worf
I'd like to be able to tell you, "Just stick with it, it'll get better," but from the first episode the tone of show hasn't varied much. As I wrote back in post #8514, James Spader is the only reason I'm still watching, but even that's starting to wear thin.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I didn't notice that! Wow! How do you carry on? lol lol

Ahem... not knowing if you're being your usual persnicity self or being serious... I'll choose the latter. He faked it till it finished. You can tell when they broke, all the bottom end drops out. Then there's a close up of Crane with the bass player behind and he's just grinning and faking to the finish. He lost all his bottom strings.

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Rehab Addict. I have almost watched all the episodes on the 1904 Mansion. Wow, talk about an ambitious project!

skydog757

A-List Customer
Rehab Addict. I have almost watched all the episodes on the 1904 Mansion. Wow, talk about an ambitious project!

Yeah, installing the elevator would be cost prohibitive for most of us. I also was surprised at how little screen time they gave to excavating around and waterproofing the exterior walls of the basement; that's major money and time and I think that they gave it less than 15 seconds on screen.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to be able to tell you, "Just stick with it, it'll get better," but from the first episode the tone of show hasn't varied much. As I wrote back in post #8514, James Spader is the only reason I'm still watching, but even that's starting to wear thin.

It has that LOST vibe for me. I keep watching thinking something really big will happen, but it doesn't. Will watch to the end just because I'm already invested. [huh] Hope it isn't as disappointing.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Danger 5 - awesome campy spy stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0OQk_vShg

danger5.jpg

Last edited:
Ahem... not knowing if you're being your usual persnicity self or being serious... I'll choose the latter. He faked it till it finished. You can tell when they broke, all the bottom end drops out. Then there's a close up of Crane with the bass player behind and he's just grinning and faking to the finish. He lost all his bottom strings.

Worf

Oh! So you are saying he faked the whole thing beyond the part where the strings broke---not just using the strings that were left. lo lol I couldn't understand how he could have done that. lol lol

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The above and your past postings on SOA make it clear that you REALLY don't like the show, but from your critique it's apparent that you watch it pretty closely. I'm not going to defend the show (personal taste is just that), but with all of the programming choices available what draws you to watch anything that you don't care for? I've followed shows for a while in the hopes that they might get better; if they don't improve and I don't form attachments to any of the characters I move on. If a good show jumps the shark, then again I usually move on.
Reasonable question. A good question. I know someone who loved to talk about that show, so at first, it was both that I almost always give FX programming a chance and that it was somewhat like a book club thing with this other person. We don't talk about the show much any longer, but I was stuck with a large investment of time. It's so poorly done that I feel like I can't stop staring at the train wreck. I mostly race through it at this point. I record it and fly through it in less than thirty minutes; which is another amazing thing about this show, and to some degree, all the FX shows. They're running Sons of Anarchy as a 90-minute program, but in that final half hour, you might get an additional 5-8 minutes of program. That final third is almost entirely commercials. With all that revenue, you would think they could afford more than a couple cans of Krylon for a murder scene and a gumball eye for a dismemberment.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, installing the elevator would be cost prohibitive for most of us. I also was surprised at how little screen time they gave to excavating around and waterproofing the exterior walls of the basement; that's major money and time and I think that they gave it less than 15 seconds on screen.

Unfortunately, that is how all these DIY shows work. I am sure that took days to do. Then again, doesn't it take every one a minute and a half to sand down and stain a dinning room oak floor?

It has that LOST vibe for me. I keep watching thinking something really big will happen, but it doesn't. Will watch to the end just because I'm already invested. [huh] Hope it isn't as disappointing.
I've never seen LOST except for what they showed on the commercials. When they first started promoting it (before the first episode aired, that is) I thought it was going to be another one of those so-called reality shows like Survivor, so I didn't pay any attention to it. By the time I found out I was wrong the show was already into it's third season, so I wasn't about to start watching it then. Based on everything I've heard about it after-the-fact, I believe I'm better off. ;)

As for The Blacklist, I'll probably keep watching until I find I've grown bored with it.

I'm working out this morning, flipping through the TV on the exercise bike and saw the tail end of an episode of "The Green Hornet." My only impression after having seen the last five minutes of the episode (and the first time, I think, I've seen the show in forty or so years) is that if the idea was to compete with the "Batman" TV show, they should have spent some money on making his car cool like the Batmobile.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Reasonable question. A good question. I know someone who loved to talk about that show, so at first, it was both that I almost always give FX programming a chance and that it was somewhat like a book club thing with this other person. We don't talk about the show much any longer, but I was stuck with a large investment of time. It's so poorly done that I feel like I can't stop staring at the train wreck. I mostly race through it at this point. I record it and fly through it in less than thirty minutes; which is another amazing thing about this show, and to some degree, all the FX shows. They're running Sons of Anarchy as a 90-minute program, but in that final half hour, you might get an additional 5-8 minutes of program. That final third is almost entirely commercials. With all that revenue, you would think they could afford more than a couple cans of Krylon for a murder scene and a gumball eye for a dismemberment.

Thank you for your reply. I've gotten locked into that situation where you say to yourself "This show kinda sucks, but I've got to see how this plays out" mode also. Usually, I'll try to jump off after the end of the season resolves whatever has caught my interest. SOA is cartoonish in so many ways, but with only 3 or 4 episodes left I'm sticking it out. You are also right about the running time; I also dvr it and skip past the commercials. The many, many commercials.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I've never seen LOST except for what they showed on the commercials. When they first started promoting it (before the first episode aired, that is) I thought it was going to be another one of those so-called reality shows like Survivor, so I didn't pay any attention to it. By the time I found out I was wrong the show was already into it's third season, so I wasn't about to start watching it then. Based on everything I've heard about it after-the-fact, I believe I'm better off. ;)

As for The Blacklist, I'll probably keep watching until I find I've grown bored with it.

Consider yourself lucky for having missed it. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto