Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Fading Fast - They will appeal to her idealism and explain that they're all about improving the world. Remember that Paige grew up in the seventies, a time of wide post-sixties and post-Watergate dissatisfaction and cynicism about government. And while we weren't really shown it, I think it's safe to assume that Philip and Elizabeth avoided exposing their kids to gung-ho patriotism just as they did religion.

Of course, it won't be easy, it will probably be the major plot of season 5.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I watch Tyrant, but I find it to be a pretty poor story. The acting is on the weak side, especially the supporting cast. Molly and the kids are often awkward. Their story arc is pretty crappy, and that doesn't help. They have the technical aspects down, but that is signature FX for you. The costumes are laughable, particularly Jamal's. I was very surprised to see it get renewed. I don't feel it warrants it. It likely speaks to how difficult it is to find good material in Hollywood (and that the Homeland execs have a lot of pull).

"wow", as in "I can't believe how awful this is"?

No, as in how incredibly amazing it was.

Fading Fast - They will appeal to her idealism and explain that they're all about improving the world. Remember that Paige grew up in the seventies, a time of wide post-sixties and post-Watergate dissatisfaction and cynicism about government. And while we weren't really shown it, I think it's safe to assume that Philip and Elizabeth avoided exposing their kids to gung-ho patriotism just as they did religion.

Of course, it won't be easy, it will probably be the major plot of season 5.

I do not curse in general, but for Page, when her parents tell her (and even though she clearly knows there is more to them than what they say), that has got to be a WTF moment: "my Mom and Dad are Russian spies - seriously!" But again, she already knows they are more than they say.

I hear all your points - and they are valid and smart - but being a disaffected kid in the '70s and turning on your country is still a large amount of territory to cover. Also, isn't there a risk she'll expose them - which could be a really cool plot line.

As an aside, Richard Thomas (John-Boy form the Waltons) does an outstanding job as the FBI director.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The risk of exposure is surely part of the plot, though Paige seems smart enough to understand the ramifications. Still, she's a teenager and may have a moment of weakness when manipulated by Pastor Tim, a boyfriend, or BFF. It's even more likely that she'll tell Henry before their parents want. It's a helluva great plot, and - like the Martha plot - the long buildup before the twist has given it tremendous power.

All the performances on the show are great, though I'm not especially fond of Richard Thomas in this role. And nothing against Frank Langella's mannered, creepy performance as Gabriel, but I really miss Margo Martindale as Granny.

Two things that have been coming up in recaps and comments: (1) Is Pastor Tim actually an operative who's been steering Paige's turn under orders from the Centre? (2) Is Martha now playing "Clark", secretly in cahoots with the FBI brass even though we haven't been shown anything like that in her scenes? She might be a lot smarter than she seems!

The risk of exposure is surely part of the plot, though Paige seems smart enough to understand the ramifications. Still, she's a teenager and may have a moment of weakness when manipulated by Pastor Tim, a boyfriend, or BFF. It's even more likely that she'll tell Henry before their parents want. It's a helluva great plot, and - like the Martha plot - the long buildup before the twist has given it tremendous power.

All the performances on the show are great, though I'm not especially fond of Richard Thomas in this role. And nothing against Frank Langella's mannered, creepy performance as Gabriel, but I really miss Margo Martindale as Granny.

Two things that have been coming up in recaps and comments: (1) Is Pastor Tim actually an operative who's been steering Paige's turn under orders from the Centre? (2) Is Martha now playing "Clark", secretly in cahoots with the FBI brass even though we haven't been shown anything like that in her scenes? She might be a lot smarter than she seems!

I agree that Langella's doing a very good job, but as you said, Martindale was incredible (man did it feel good when Keri Russell beat the hell out of her - that's how you know Martindale got to you - and did a great job - since she could provoke such strong emotions). You are not alone in not loving Thomas in the role - a few of my friends agree with you - but I really like how he plays it.

I've thought sometime that Pastor Tim is more than he appears, but hadn't thought that about Martha - that would be an awesome twist.

And you are so spot on about how powerful these sub-plots are because the writers invest the time over many episodes to build them up credibly.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Did you see this absolutely fascinating article about how The Americans is using a slow-burn plotting method not based on the familiar three-act dramatic structure, but the five-act form of Shakespeare's plays?

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/2/8335137/the-americans-stingers-recap-review

That the game-changing conversation with Paige fell at the exact point where the third-act climax goes (if the show does have a five-season run) is a brilliant observation!

Did you see this absolutely fascinating article about how The Americans is using a slow-burn plotting method not based on the familiar three-act dramatic structure, but the five-act form of Shakespeare's plays?

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/2/8335137/the-americans-stingers-recap-review

That the game-changing conversation with Paige fell at the exact point where the third-act climax goes (if the show does have a five-season run) is a brilliant observation!

I hadn't seen it - really smart article - thank you for pointing it out.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My pleasure. I've been paying a lot of attention to internet reviews, recaps, and the comments on them, because the very few folks I know who also watch the show aren't watching it in real time, they're some episodes (or seasons!) behind. So we can't discuss any of these big revelations, and it's making me nuts!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
My pleasure. I've been paying a lot of attention to internet reviews, recaps, and the comments on them, because the very few folks I know who also watch the show aren't watching it in real time, they're some episodes (or seasons!) behind. So we can't discuss any of these big revelations, and it's making me nuts!
One of the heads of HBO was on Charlie Rose last night, and he said only 20% are watching their programming in real time. 80% watch it later in the week, save it up to binge all at once, etc. I love to binge and watch entire seasons in 2-3 days. Difficult to find that kind of time, but I wish I could watch all shows like that.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've done plenty of binge watching, but after over fifty years of appointment-TV viewing, I still vastly prefer watching new episodes of beloved shows live. I love the idea that thousands/millions of fans are experiencing the same thing as me, gasping in the same places. It's closer to the theatrical film experience in the sense that you're watching at the same time along with an audience of strangers. And I want to be included in the excited conversations the next day, not to mention not having to work to avoid spoilers for days/weeks/whatever...

But hey, I don't have a smartphone, don't do Facebook or Twitter, still shoot b/w film and project 16mm movies, etc., so it's clear that I'm old school in a lot of ways!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Nazi Mega Weapons: Hitler's Megaships. The Bismark and Tirpitz. A little disappointing, they went on and on about the RAF raids on the Tirpitz, but, didn't even mention the daring X Craft raid. Interesting, that one of the planes shot down, who's wreckage cans still be seen was a Grumman Hellcat!

Hawaii 5-0

The original series? Or the modern knock-off?
(Just curious?)

One of my favorite episodes of the original series guest starred David Wayne as a conman.
There were another two episodes that had a similar conman played by a different actor, but I cannot remember his name offhand. The last name of the character in those two episodes was something like Fyler? Maybe Harry Fyler? Only about thirty years since I saw a rerun of any of these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner