Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your first car?

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
Ah, happy days. Mine was the same way -- when driving in sleet I'd have to have my left arm stuck out the window with an ice scraper, to keep the sleet from building up on the front of the windshield.

The ultimate was driving to work around 4 AM one morning in a blizzard -- and having the windshield wiper actually work off its stud and blow away. I had to stop the car and go back and wander around in the snow until I found it.

But you know, even with all that I still loved that car. It might have been a hazard to life and safety by modern standards, but it had personality. And the radio was pretty good too.

The same thing happened to me with my '61 beetle. :D

As horrible as a neglected 50 year old beetle can be, its still a fun car.

my summertime beater

2010-03-03113146.jpg

I remember once when driving over the 33 bridge in my 60 Bel-Air, the windshield wipers caught eachother when they were coming back down to the center. I had to climb half out the car while driving in the pouring rain and pull them apart lol.

deco_droid

New in Town
I wish I could find a 59 cadillac now for that much----I mean one that doesn't look like a junk pile. :p
About all you get for that now is this:
5Ne5Fe5Hd3k93M83Fbc2s623ce333e7c319b3.jpg

I looked at the sky high prices for 59 Caddy's recently and thought about what could have been. The 80s were a great time for picking up old classics if you had the cash. Too bad I was a lowly student back then...

That looks just about exactly like the one I had, except I think that one has a red interior and mine had white. Great car. Somehow behind the wheel you were never in a hurry to get anywhere. Don't think I ever had it up over 50mph..

Interesting story about a 59 Cadillac. My great uncle got a 59 that had a wire harness fire. It was a four door flat top that my parents used in their wedding in 1964 so he had to have gotten it a little bit before that. The car was hilarious for a while when he was getting the wiring sorted out. Things happened like if you blew the horn the window would roll down. :rofl: He got it sorted out by the time my parents got married though. lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo