Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your first car?

My dad was gonna borrow me the money to buy one a few months back. Project car. It was fairly cheap, though .

How big a project? One big piece or several?
This one is available out here for a mere $54,000:
y.jpg

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
my58PLY.jpg

58savvoy72dpi.jpg

In 92 I came home from the service with about four grand saved up in cash and saving bonds. While driving around with a couple buddies my eye caught this beast being taken out of a garage. I made my buddy turn around and had to check her out. Turns out the lady who owned her had just died and it was her son who was seeing if she still ran...She did!

We talked a while and needless to say for 2 grand I bought a 4 door, flat Six, Mist Green (Elvis Green),58 Plymouth Savoy, with push button transmission. I could literally put my arm across the top of the seat and just barely be able to touch the passenger next to me.

As you can see, she was wider and longer than those popular toyo trucks of the time.

And even though I really loved her, I finally blew the transmission and just couldn't afford to store and repair her.

Oh and remember how I said I grew up on the wrong side if the tracks... Look in the back ground and you'll see what I mean. "PBR" Pabst Ave and the 35th street viodox.

God I miss that car!

Last edited:

thenar

New in Town
My first car was a black 1948 Ford. It didn't run, so my dad and I rebuilt the engine. I remember wiring up a little neon light to flash every time a spark went off. I thought that was sooo kuel. My first serious car was a baby blue 1951 Merc. I bought it for 100 dollars, but 100,000 miles on it and sold it for 300 dollars.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
And even though I really loved her, I finally blew the transmission and just couldn't afford to store and repair her.

I know what you mean. Although not my first car, I had a '67 Impala that I really loved. Blew the engine (crankshaft, I believe). I would've loved to have it fixed, but couldn't afford it at the time.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I had my grampa's old 1971 chevy chevelle. It was the coolest car except it had four doors, which did affect it's status in my small town in the 80s. Also, I was mortified that it had an 8-track player instead of a fancy cassette player. I loved that car in spite of its faults.

Oh yeah. And out was faaaast! I, too, killed the little beauty through lack of funds. I'll always regret that so deeply.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I had my grampa's old 1971 chevy chevelle. It was the coolest car except it had four doors, which did affect it's status in my small town in the 80s. Also, I was mortified that it had an 8-track player instead of a fancy cassette player. I loved that car in spite of its faults.

Oh yeah. And out was faaaast! I, too, killed the little beauty through lack of funds. I'll always regret that so deeply.

A great car in it's day. The LS3 with the 396 and SS-454 models were the ones to have!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo