What was your first car?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Big Man, Mar 9, 2012.

1. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

You've gotta be one of the luckiest first car owners I've ever known.

2. Nah, that would be my friend with the Rolls convertible. :p

3. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

57 Chevy's better. The only thing that would probably trump one in my book would be a 59 Caddy, and a 58 Fury may give it a run for its money.

4. A 59 Eldorado Biarritz convertible would be nice. :p

The Rolls Royce was a nice car though. The fact that it broke down very frequent was something else.........:eusa_doh:

5. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

I agree with you an the Eldo!

Imports have very little appeal to me. It's that American pride I've got, I guess haha.

6. Gene

Gene Practically Family

'92 Ford Thunderbird. Was it a sports car? Was it a town car? It was neither :/

[​IMG]

7. Of course. :p

Well riceimports are something else..... :p

8. My friend used to call those an "old man's hotrod." :p

9. Gene

Gene Practically Family

Haha! All I knew it as was a beast that lasted until 180,000 miles and died in my driveway.

10. Well better in the drive way than out in the middle of nowhere. That is a plus for sure. :D

11. minkowski1552

minkowski1552 New in Town

My first car was a 1952 Plymouth coupe. Purchased in 1972 for $40. What a beast!

12. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I think the term coined for cars like this, in the 1970s, was 'personal luxury car.'

13. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

About the same time I was fixing up the Mustang, I also had one of these...but mine was blue and white. A guy who was going off to visit the Republic of Vietnam essentially gave it to a friend of mine...and she sold it to me. I only kept it for one summer and then gave it to my father…who rode it for a while and then sold it.

But of all the vehicles I've owned in my life...the Honda 90 is one that I would really like to have back. Back then, I thought that I looked like and Dweeb riding it...and I probably would still look like a Dweeb riding it. But nowadays I wouldn't care.

[​IMG]

AF

14. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, the first car I DROVE was a 1968 Red Barracuda with an automatic. The first car I regularly drove as a Yellow Plymouth Scamp (Dart clone) with that slant six. I was SOOOO glad I totaled it without killing myself. It was about twice as heavy as my current Subaru, and several inches longer, but was a "compact car". I don't miss it much.

Later

15. SteveAS

SteveAS Practically Family

Mine was a 1973 Datsun 240Z, just like the one in the photo below. I bought it for $2,800 in 1985 and drove it for a few years in college.

[​IMG]

16. Mocheman

Mocheman One of the Regulars

My first car in 1988 was a 1950 Chevy Deluxe 2 door just like the one pictured.
    [​IMG]

17. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

When I was 13, one of the young men across the street got a new '73 240Z. It was white with a red (leather?) interior. I used to stand outside his driveway and watch him polish it which he always seemed to be doing.. He must've thought I was nuts.

18. DesertDan

DesertDan One Too Many

'74 Ford LTD two-door. Had a 351 cleveland under the hood. I was 16 at the time, I'm lucky I'm still alive after all the foolishness that car got me into (yes, it was the cars fault.....really).

19. lol lol The 351C, by that time, had all kinds of smog stuff on it, was detuned and it didn't live up to its potential----stock. You could have really wrapped yourself around a few poles if you tuned the heck out of it and replaced several parts with high performance parts. :p

20. Boodles

Boodles A-List Customer

Good man! This is the same body style as my '52 except mine was the standard model which had way less chrome trim. About everyone my age would add the chrome teeth from a '54 chevy grille, switch out the wheels for 15" Chevy station wagon rims which were wider, and when you could find them add the ribbed bumpers from a'49ish Plymouth. Those of us with part-time jobs, while living off our parents, would add split exhaust manifolds, and two single barrel carb's also on aftermarket intake manifolds. Big bucks for a kid.