Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whats your favorite ethnic cuisines and whats the least liked ethnic cuisines?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
the comments about British food and how bad it used to be have got me thinking: I'm not sure the food was bad, we just didn't have many restaurants. I think I only ate in a restaurant a handful of times before I reached the age to pay for it myself. When I was growing up, eating out just wasn't done.

The reverence for the sandwich is something I will never understand. It's nice and all, but honestly, not that amazing. I guess it's easy to make, and so a very egalitarian dish … which probably explains its lasting appeal.

A salad of greens and fresh baby tomatoes with an excellent, fresh simple dressing (just good balsamic vinegar and olive oil will suffice) is much more up my alley. I really should've been born on the Mediterranean.

O', come forth summer!
Bring me some local grown
stuff that I can buy,
without building more pennance pagodas!

3fingers

One Too Many
Pshaw. Of all the physical, emotional, and spiritual pleasures that exist in all the vast and universal experience of humanity, there is none so utterly, completely, core-of-the-soul-satisfying as a plate of good macaroni and cheese. Not even the sacred pastrami itself comes close.
Indeed. Benjamin Franklin should have mentioned cheese along with beer as proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Not just there, but here too. Cosmetic dentistry and orthodontia were a very distinct class marker when I was growing up -- the middle class kids, and only the middle class kids, had braces, and we of the h. polloi were left to nature's mercy. Even today, you can tell a Mainer's social class the moment they open their mouths.

When I was growing up, people would seriously do anything to straighten their kids teeth if they wanted their kids climb the social ladder. I knew someone who got a credit card solely for the purpose of straightening their kids' teeth. I was lucky because my mom had connections with oral surgeons, dentists, and orthodontists because she was a former dental assistant for one of the hot shot dentists in a nearby city and they'd always work on my family for cost. I swear that dentistry would be the last thing my mom would let go... we'd be living out of a cardboard box before she'd let anyone skip a yearly cleaning when I was a kid (and I mean that in all seriousness).

I'm seeing a lot of people get braces at older ages who didn't get them when they were young. Often they pay for cosmetic dentistry when they are well into adulthood- even if it takes years for them to save up the several thousand dollars. One of the women I know (very working class family; three kids, they both work two retail/serving jobs) recently got braces... at 32. She put all her loose change in jars for years and finally got the braces put on. It's a big thing too- she had posted all sorts of pictures on Facebook of her braces. Her eldest is going into braces in six months and it is some type of social bonding thing between the two of them too. She's bound and determined that her entire family is going to have straight and perfect teeth- both her and her daughter's teeth look very good without them. To be honest, I thought she had them as a kid given her overall smile, but she did not. (I'm not criticizing her, I just find it fascinating.)

Edward

Bartender
I have one tooth out of line, on the bottom row. Two years younger and braces would have been the norm, but in my day it wasn't considered an issue. Thought about having it done but it would have been four grand... or, as I prefer to look at it, three bespoke suits and an Aero. Had I the money for cosmetic dentistry, the real priority is reshaping my canines anyhow. I want fangs. Nothing too obvious, but subtle enough that they look natural.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
So, getting back to cuisine, I had a great sandwich recently at one of our local places, York Street Kitchen on Erie (it was on York Street, Stratford, Ontario until a dispute with the landlord made them move to Erie Street). Thai chicken salad on sour dough. They do great sandwiches which are a local institution. Again, like most things, the vehicle isn't inherently bad, it's how it's put together and with what that counts! And now, back to the British Dental Association marathon...... "Lemming! LEMMING! Lemming of the BDA....."

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Foods

I'l eat about anything but meatloaf. There are no cuisines as a whole I dislike but I love any asian, Greek, Italian, Indian, Middle Eastern, French, or Central American dish.

A poem:

Horace
Monty Python

Much to his Mum and Dad's dismay
Horace ate himself one day.
He didn't stop to say his grace,
He just sat down and ate his face.
"We can't have this his Dad declared,
"If that lad's ate, he should be shared."
But even as he spoke they saw
Horace eating more and more:
First his legs and then his thighs,
His arms, his nose, his hair, his eyes...
"Stop him someone!" Mother cried
"Those eyeballs would be better fried!"
But all too late, for they were gone,
And he had started on his [edit]...
"Oh! foolish child!" the father mourns
"You could have deep-fried that with prawns,
Some parsley and some tartar sauce..."
But H. was on his second course:
His liver and his lights and lung,
His ears, his neck, his chin, his tongue;
"To think I raised him from the cot
And now he's going to scoff the lot!"
His Mother cried: "What shall we do?
What's left won't even make a stew..."
And as she wept, her son was seen
To eat his head, his heart, his spleen.
And there he lay: a boy no more,
Just a stomach, on the floor...
None the less, since it was his
They ate it – that's what haggis is.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Maybe living in south east Asia makes me a bit biased but I think this region of the world has the best food in general. My favorites in order of best are:
Thai, Indonesian, Vietnamese.
These have so much flavor and provided the cook leaves out the MSG, they can be quite healthy.
My least favorite are in general Northern European, sorry - I just love lots of chile and herbs - butter and cheese makes me feel heavy.

I loathe Indian food. Horrible.

ANything else is fair game.

Interesting. There's a family-run Indian place a few miles from where I sit at present that's among my favorites. I don't visit there as I often as I might if it weren't that I all but totally lose control and order so much that the check comes to at least 50 bucks for the two of us. And I'm certain to weigh at least a couple of pounds more the next day.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

If I could only eat one type of "ethnic" food, it would be Indian. We make one dish a week at home on average, and get out when we can, though that's limited because where we are, our two Indian restaurants are relatively high end, neither with a buffet. Excellent stuff, but requires advance saving!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

You might want to try another place. I've had the whole spectrum of experiences with Indian food (at two places). The first was the Baskin Robbins of Starch. 4 kinds of Potatoes, 6 kinds of Rice, some type of noodle, and taco meat with peas. ONE (1) single meat dish. The other place was better, but we ordered six things from the menu for 4 people. Two vegetable dishes, and 4 meat dishes and they were all pretty good.

later

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LIKE:
Jewish deli food, the food of kings.
And what's more important, writers and musicians.

Quebecois food, because nobody would ever build a pretentious Quebecois restaurant.
About as close as you'll get is Aux Anciens Canadiens in Quebec City. And it's still just cozy and homey. Like a French bistro from the '60s located in the sub-Arctic zone, where they put cinnamon in the meatballs. (It's better than it sounds.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner