Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your headwear of choice for rain or snow?

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Hi, All --

As I'm new to the world of quality hats, I'm interested in all kinds of different lids, but am wondering what your favorite hat is for inclement weather.

As a side question, what's the best quality rain/snow-handling hat you can think of?

Thanks!

Simon

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Biltmore Bob said:
Rain...fur felt fedora or wool eight panel cap.

Snow...What's that? Oh, that white cold stuff what falls from the sky up north.

It hasn't rained much since I got my Akubra Fed. but from what I've heard it should hold up well. Won't rain shrink an eight panel wool cap? My heads too big to take any chances with hat shrinkage. Are witchdoctors in the yellow pages? maybe it's not my hat that needs shrinking... ;)

Oh, and by the way. congratulations on making 1001 posts. Shouldn't the lounge give you a dinner and a watch or something? Cheers, Sefton

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO HOLD UP IN THE RAIN FOR A LONG TIME . I DO LIKE AKUBRAS IOLSKIN HATS . THEY DO HOLD UP BUY THEY ARE QUITE HEAVY.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I have a Irish tweed 8-panel cap I wear when it is rainy, cold or the like. It has gotten soaked though many times and hasn't shrunk yet. In fact it was somewhat tight when I got it and now I think it has expanded a bit to fit my head.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
As far as fedora's go I just wear my fur felt Akubra Federation. Sure it's not totally rain proof, but pretty close and besides it's still a fedora. I just can't bring myself to wear one of those gortex things even though they shed the water better. So rain or snow it's an Akubra for me.

fedoralover

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
For rain: the Watership Haven :

WThaven450.jpg

A wool-lined version also is offered.

Akubra and Filson also offer waxed hats.

Bebop

Practically Family
I am waiting for a Federation to arrive and I will see how that holds up in the rain but for now, I have been wearing an Akubra Squatter that is about a month old, and a newer Stetson Open Road that I thought was going to fall apart in the rain. Quite the opposite. It has gotten softer and has started to feel like an old friend. I still can't figure out why people hate newer Stetsons. These things may not be very soft and pliable but they are well made and hold up to the weather pretty well. Of course I don't let my hats get wet through and through. I never have to stand in the rain for very long.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Any wool newsboy or felt fedora suits me fine in the rain. For the Northeast winter chill I stick with my Eastman repro USAAF B-2 shearling flying cap and a fantastic 1930's seal fur cap I scored on eBay (both have optional earflaps, a much-needed feature up here).

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi,
i've always wear my felt hat also in rain, it work very well,for me. At home i leave it in a cool place upsidedown on the crown, then i brush, just a little,and then i iron it (but only if it needed it). My hats are ,on today, in perfect sharpe.
Now i'm waiting for my Open Road (it isn't arrived to me :cry: ) is this hat, it's a 7x beaver, good for rain?
Fedoralover, what do you think about?

Thanks.
Riccardo.

nicolasb

Familiar Face
I don't own one - but one thing that would be great for rain is one of those oiled leather hats made by Jacaru (Australian company).

Simon82

One of the Regulars
I want to thank all of you for your valuable input -- I hadn't even thought about a "Gatsby"-style 8-panel until now, but I'm liking the idea more and more. I just won what looks to be a nice wide-brimmed velour fedora on ebay
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=8336947439) and look forward to receiving it. I won't put it through too much right away, but am curious to see how it holds up to a little bit of rain.

In the meantime, I'm also seriously considering looking into an Akubra or an Adventurebilt sometime in the near future.

Again, thanks!

Simon

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wear an old faded Akubra. The large brim keeps the rain from my face and neck.
Barbour makes a nice waxed cotton bucket hat that looks great for the rain. Something like that might work.

dlgilbert

New in Town
I have a Franz Bittner wool fedora that I got from Noggintops that has served me phenomenally well in cold weather, snow, and through a day of drenching rain hiking through the mountains in northwestern Pennsylvania.

It's not a high-end hat, but it looks pretty good and it's very comfortable. Definately one of my favorites.

MattC

A-List Customer
Fur Felt Fedora

For years I wore an early 60s Cavanagh in every Pacific storm I got into. When i gave it away to goodwill, it was only because I decide to get some hats that fit (it was always too small). Any good vintage felt hat will take all the rain and snow you can give it and not fade or shrink. I have a couple of oldies that a lesser hats that I use in the rain and snow. No problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran