Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Take on Modern Men's Fashion (Not Talkin About Tieless Busi- Casual Crap)

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
I've seen some fashions I've actually liked lately. Mad Men seems to have gotten guys actually interested in looking nice again too. However, I seem to be stuck between two fundamental frustrations with men's fashion: it's inflexibility and it's lack of *new* dress clothes fashions.

So I guess I am conservative and liberal at the same time when it comes to fashion. I hate casual clothes, but I don't (except on '40s night? ;-) ) want to look like a throwback to the '40s.

I don't men's fashions to be as prone to going out of style to women's, yet I also am frustrated that men's formalwear is basically quite similar to that worn 175 years ago. If anything it has gotten more stringent.

Why has men's fashion been limited to black suit, white tie since basically the French Revolution? I can understand it happening in France (if you dress to nice, you're a bougeiousie and off with your head), but why has it happened everywhere else?

I'd also like other' takes on a new take on modern, modern but classic. Say I get a fedora, what is a current fedora brim? What is something different new, fresh that stands out?

It's like with some of the new striped dress shirts they've had out. I have a really nice blue and green striped one, that I really like (OK, probably a throwback to the '20s somewhat), but it is at least something new, dressy, and different. Why is there so little of this that is "acceptable" in men's fashion? All of the new trendy stuff isn't considered formal, and that pisses me off to no end. Even the new shirts I have suggest that they weren't meant for being worn with a tie, because the only ties that I can wear that don't look silly are solid-colored ones. They don't look good with suits either, which is disappointing because I usually wear a suit or dress slacks & sport coat to work each day.

And to suits. Why are they stuck similarly in the 1800s? I don't mind that the classics keep being made, but black, blue, tan. Is that all there really is? Howabout patterns, different fabrics, you know, something you can wear to a party that is different than what you wear to work? I guess that is what bugs me the most, my party clothes and work clothes are the *same clothes* :(

So where are/should my trends lean toward to get a modern look that is still dressy?

DerMann

Practically Family
3PcSuit said:
I've seen some fashions I've actually liked lately. Mad Men seems to have gotten guys actually interested in looking nice again too. However, I seem to be stuck between two fundamental frustrations with men's fashion: it's inflexibility and it's lack of *new* dress clothes fashions.

Men's fashion, for the most part, has not really changed *that* much from the time the sack suit became popular to the demise of the suit today. Sure the suits from 1900 and 2000 are very alien when compared in detail, but they are still a jacket, shirt, and trousers. Men's clothing has not changed nearly as dramatically as women's clothing (for various reasons).

3PcSuit said:
I don't men's fashions to be as prone to going out of style to women's, yet I also am frustrated that men's formalwear is basically quite similar to that worn 175 years ago. If anything it has gotten more stringent.

Men's formal dress is at a very lax and casual level compared to even 75 years ago. Most events that are called "formal" are usually black tie optional and there we see the butchering of classic black tie dress. White tie has managed to "survive" to date because it looks good, and certain situation still call for it.

3PcSuit said:
Why has men's fashion been limited to black suit, white tie since basically the French Revolution? I can understand it happening in France (if you dress to nice, you're a bougeiousie and off with your head), but why has it happened everywhere else?

Men's fashion has not been limited to black and white. If you look through this forum you will see countless examples of advertisements from the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s with colours and patterns beyond your wildest dreams.

3PcSuit said:
I'd also like other' takes on a new take on modern, modern but classic. Say I get a fedora, what is a current fedora brim? What is something different new, fresh that stands out?

Modern fedoras from classic companies (e.g. Stetson) are no where near the quality they were during the 30s and 40s. Stick with classic stylings, as they will indubitably look good with a variety of face/body shapes and suits. A good standard for fedora brim length is 2 1/2". I would be wary of anything less than 2".

3PcSuit said:
It's like with some of the new striped dress shirts they've had out. I have a really nice blue and green striped one, that I really like (OK, probably a throwback to the '20s somewhat), but it is at least something new, dressy, and different. Why is there so little of this that is "acceptable" in men's fashion? All of the new trendy stuff isn't considered formal, and that pisses me off to no end. Even the new shirts I have suggest that they weren't meant for being worn with a tie, because the only ties that I can wear that don't look silly are solid-colored ones. They don't look good with suits either, which is disappointing because I usually wear a suit or dress slacks & sport coat to work each day.

Striped shirts were worn almost as much as solid coloured shirts. Just so long as you're not wearing a dinner jacket or tail coat, they're also perfectly acceptable. Just so long as the pattern of the shirt isn't fuchsia paisley on a baby blue background or purple stripes on yellow, I really don't see what the big deal is. I own several patterned shirts, and wear them fairly regularly. Sometimes stripes or patterns look absolutely terrible with certain fabrics, and that's why you get those inflexible "rules."

3PcSuit said:
And to suits. Why are they stuck similarly in the 1800s? I don't mind that the classics keep being made, but black, blue, tan. Is that all there really is? Howabout patterns, different fabrics, you know, something you can wear to a party that is different than what you wear to work? I guess that is what bugs me the most, my party clothes and work clothes are the *same clothes* :(

Once again, you're underestimating men's style. Fabrics range from the standard worsted wool to linen, pin stripes to Glen plaid. Most of the classic patterns and colours have become obscure and rare in modern suits as more and more men stopped buying suits for their main staple of clothing. Ergo, the only suits being bought were the plain blacks, navies, and tans. More "adventurous" fabrics and styles do exist but they are suitably rarer to find in modern clothing.

That is partially the reason why I like odd sportscoats and trousers more than modern suits (and they can be had for a substantially smaller price).

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad "Eastside Kids" style striped t-shirts are making a come-back.
stripe_slogan_t-shirts_men_women.jpg

I like the fact that I see more men dressing up for work - at least a tie and sport coat. As I've seen re-iterated here I think the tighter economy makes people think a little more about keeping their jobs and realize that looking good is an asset.

Classic style of mens fashion seems timeles, (so I keep the various width ties and lapels knowing eventually they'll ) whereas some fashion "trends" don't always endure.

that being said, I also don't think we have to dress to current fashions - we can also set fashions by standing out a little - being noticed isn't all bad.

(Guess I might part with the Nero suits and the leisure suits though - I don't think they're returning soon. :( )

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Nash Buckingham said:
I also don't think we have to dress to current fashions - we can also set fashions by standing out a little - being noticed isn't all bad.
Right. Dopey "fashion" trends all have a start somewhere. All it takes is for one person to start something, then another person, and another, and so on until everyone picks up on a style,(or lack of style).
The backwards-baseball-hat-slouch look started somewhere, somehow, and now it's sickeningly ubiquitous. :mad: I swear they must be cloning those guys in a lab somewhere!
If a "style" like that can catch on and last, then surely real style could make a comeback some day?

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
...new, dressy, and different. Why is there so little of this that is "acceptable" in men's fashion? All of the new trendy stuff isn't considered formal, and that pisses me off to no end.

I'm not sure I understand why this upsets you so much. Formality is inherently conservative. It does change, but necessarily slowly. If it's rules were constantly changing to accommodate the new and trendy the entire purpose of having a commonly understood set of conventions would be lost. The point is not to stand out for being different, although as many here have commented, even a small degree of formality causes one to stand out anymore.

As for being stuck in the 1800s, one hardly sees detachable collars, frock coats, cloaks, or breeches.

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
Modern fashion? I hate it. That said, they can be more practical for lazing around, looking after small children etc, activities where a tshirt and jeans are far more useful than suit and tie. Don't want to rip expensive suits!

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:

The backwards-baseball-hat-slouch look started somewhere, somehow, and now it's sickeningly ubiquitous. :mad: I swear they must be cloning those guys in a lab somewhere!

Umm, catchers and submarine captains invented that style, more than 100 years ago. Does it really bother you that much? Of all the abhorrent trneds in modern-day fashion, that should be the least of your worries. How about the girls with 150 tatoos? Guys with 150 piercings?

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Right. Dopey "fashion" trends all have a start somewhere. All it takes is for one person to start something, then another person, and another, and so on until everyone picks up on a style,(or lack of style).
If a "style" like that can catch on and last, then surely real style could make a comeback some day?

It seems I always get a headache when I wear my Fedora backwards or sideways for any length of time.lol

I love the phrase "Sickningly Ubiqutious" can I have permission to borrow it?

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Feng_Li said:
I'm not sure I understand why this upsets you so much. Formality is inherently conservative. It does change, but necessarily slowly. If it's rules were constantly changing to accommodate the new and trendy the entire purpose of having a commonly understood set of conventions would be lost. The point is not to stand out for being different, although as many here have commented, even a small degree of formality causes one to stand out anymore.

As for being stuck in the 1800s, one hardly sees detachable collars, frock coats, cloaks, or breeches.

You're nitpicking. I happen to have a detachable collar shirt, but it is really no different than a modern shirt. Most of the time I've worn it, people didn't even notice it was any different from a regular shirt.

If people want to be facetious and difficult and say they don't see my point, look at women's fashion 100 years ago, and now look at mens, and look at the differening degree the two have changed.

I don't want men to walk around in dresses, mind you. But if you go back to the time of the French Revolution, men had about tehe same anout of dressing options as women did. Men's outfits were often as elaborate as women's. Now I'd say we're down to about a tenth of the options that weomen currently have. Hell, I've worked jobs where they wouldn't let me wear the bowtie I usually wear once or twice a week.

The silly pissing war and constant criticism men engender to one another about wearing anything that is even remotely *different* from a very fine-lined norm frustrates me to no small end.

I don't want the black solid suit to end, but lately, all I've been able to find at the store are black, pine-striped suits (2 pc.) and it is really starting to piss me off.

Men's clothes are one aisle in the business suit store and women's clothes are the rest. Howabout a patern, a new cut, zippers instead of buttons, patterns, different numbers of buttons, different spot for pocket square, something anything original?

Feraud

Bartender
Men's department stores are a generally bland affair yet there is variety to be found. A question could be how many men are wearing it.
There are high end shops and custom clothing for something worthy of one's impeccable tastes.
Check this out -
http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/
The men are wearing anything but 1800's era wear.

Personally, I could care less if everyone wears the same black suit.

Edward

Bartender
lol

My biggest gripe with modern suits is actually the low rise in the trousers.... if only I could go into a gentleman's outfitters and buy a suit off the peg with a 14" rise, no belt loops, and brace buttons already in place, I would be very happy indeed.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
3PcSuit said:
Umm, catchers and submarine captains invented that style, more than 100 years ago. Does it really bother you that much? Of all the abhorrent trneds in modern-day fashion, that should be the least of your worries. How about the girls with 150 tatoos? Guys with 150 piercings?
No, doesn't bother as much as it used to, now I just laugh at it all. lol It's just the hypocrisy of it all that bothers me. The attitude that the terminally trendy get that they are rebellious and unique, when in fact all they are really doing is slavishly fitting in with their peers so as not to stand out from the crowd. :rolleyes:
(Submarine captains and baseball catchers wore the hats backwards out of necessity, not in order to look "cool"lol )

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
No, doesn't bother as much as it used to, now I just laugh at it all. lol It's just the hypocrisy of it all that bothers me. The attitude that the terminally trendy get that they are rebellious and unique, when in fact all they are really doing is slavishly fitting in with their peers so as not to stand out from the crowd. :rolleyes:
(Submarine captains and baseball catchers wore the hats backwards out of necessity, not in order to look "cool"lol )

and 8000+ people all discussing what we are -all- wearing and what standards we all share..isn't -slavishly fitting in with peers so as to not stand out'?

Pardon me while I snarf soda through my nose......and go read 15 threads about 'acceptable' features in a suit....

Edward

Bartender
resortes805 said:
I'm glad "Eastside Kids" style striped t-shirts are making a come-back.
stripe_slogan_t-shirts_men_women.jpg

I've loved those ever since I discovered the Ramones.... and, of course, Lee Marvin wore a black and white striped one in The Wild One. If memory serves, Sonny Barger (I think....) later bought that shirt and wore it to many early Hell's Angels gatherings.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
I am being completely serious, and do not appreciate your tone. The point I am trying to make is that your two complaints (1. Insufficient variety in men's dress, 2. New/trendy items not being considered formal) address completely different issues.

Men have an enormous variety of dressing options. This:
B_1_beachbum1_184782_0501.jpg

is as different from this:
Metal1.jpg

as this:
370px-Fashion_Plate_1880_Outdoors.jpg

is from this:
Ad%C3%A9laide_d%27Orl%C3%A9ans.jpg

I see men in such outfits every day (the first two pictures). Neither, however, is considered formal. That's a completely different issue.

Nor am I nitpicking. To assert that today's suits are no different than 175 years ago is a gross an oversimplification. One might as well say that women's fashion only had two changes, the loss of corsets and the addition of trousers.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
3PcSuit said:

In the 1930s, black hipsters used to wear their eight panel caps to the side. The shift to baseball caps does not seem a big stretch.

Looked great on the black hipsters, but not sure if oher folks could pull it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner