Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are the Great Steak Houses??????

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Des Moines, Iowa:

North side of town - Chicago Speakeasy(Good prime rib!)

Downtown - 801 Grand Steak and Chop (probably the best in the state, also appears recommended in The Wine Spectator for its fine wine selection and Cigar Afficionado for its cigars.)

Downtown - Azalea's (urban, chic, great food, good meats)

West Suburbs - Flemings (although I wasn't terribly impressed, others rave about the place)

Those from IA could probably give you a better idea since I'm quite particular on my steak consumption.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Mark from Plano said:
When in Vegas you should try Vic & Anthony's, the new steakhouse at the Golden Nugget. This is Landry's ultra-high end concept in Houston and they've opened a new location in Vegas. We ate there for my birthday back in September and it was excellent.

There is an old steak house that we went to in Las Vegas that I cannot remember the name of. It's outside of Vegas proper in the mountains surrounding (there were a lot of horse farms near). It's an old converted ranch and the decor is vintage western/ranch. The place has been there forever and I was told that Frank Sinatra frequented the place in his Vegas hey day. Does anyone know the name of this place? It was hands down the best (and most expensive) steak I have ever eaten.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
In Chicago

Aside from the aforementioned chains, which most all are represented in Chicago, I would suggest: Gibson's, Chicago Chop House, the Saloon, the Butcher Shop, Rosebud Steakhouse, Gene and Georgetti and Ditka's.

Also, a few seafood restaurants that offer excellent steaks: Joe's Stone Crab, Mccormick & Schmick's and Hugo's Frog Bar.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
The Hilltop Steak House in Saugus, Mass., at the sign of the Giant Neon Cactus. You can't miss it.

hiltopSteakHouse.jpg

THat place looks like it could be on any street here in Tucson! How funny!

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I love steak house! In France it's not very common, except for few few restaurants! You have the best meat in the world !!!!! When I was in New York I tasted the baby back ribs lol! I started eatingit with a knife and fork and everybody said "Eat it with fingers, it would be easier"! lol! It's one of the best things I have ever eaten! I love steak house!

Mike in Seattle

Bill Taylor said:
Regarding dress mentioned below, more and more San Francisco dress attitudes have become quite relaxed (and a lot more tacky). That's too bad, it's one of the reason's we got out of there and are glad of it.

In San Francisco:

Original Joe's - Taylor just down from Turk. You wouldn't think an Italian restaurant would have great steaks, but the T Bone at Joe's is terrific. This is a wonderful place to get a feel for the old (and better) San Francisco. In the Tenderloin, you may want to be accompanied by a native or long time resident. I doubt newcomers of last 10 or 15 years would know where it was and might not dare go there. For the most part, only the old timers have the balls to trek through that part of the Tenderloin. And it's usually packed. Some old waiters, some young, but all in black tie. The third or fourth younger generation now running it, so some of the old old waiters are retiring (or passing on while serving a table). For the ladies, a small pearl handled pistol is suggested for the purse: shoulder hoster for the gentlemen. I believe Joe's may have been a speakeasy too, but not sure about that. Moderate prices. Bar was remodeled in the 50's in a sort of Hawaiian theme now mostly gone, but bits and pieces remaining. You may possibly get an umbrella thingey for your drink. Hell, I even got one with a beer onetime. They must have a 100 year supply of those. By the way, description of the area is a little exaggerated. perhaps.

You might've missed the post, but Original Joe's had a fire recently and they're closed (downtown) for a year to 18 months for rebuilding.

Dr Doran

I love steaks.

However. What I have never understood is the name "Ruth's Chris Steak House." It's on Van Ness in SF, as several people have pointed out. What does this name mean? What is the meaning of the possessive? Is it a house that specializes in "chris steaks" that is owned by one Ruth? If so, what the devil is a "chris steak"? Is it a steak house owned by Ruth Chris? That would be a strange last name -- but even so, then shouldn't it be "Ruth Chris's Steak House"? Is it owned by people whose Christian names are Ruth and Chris? If so, why would it not be spelled "Ruth AND Chris's Steak House"?

I have never bloody understood this. Can someone do some 'splainin' as Ricky Ricardo once was wont to say?

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
I love steaks.

However. What I have never understood is the name "Ruth's Chris Steak House." It's on Van Ness in SF, as several people have pointed out. What does this name mean? What is the meaning of the possessive? Is it a house that specializes in "chris steaks" that is owned by one Ruth? If so, what the devil is a "chris steak"? Is it a steak house owned by Ruth Chris? That would be a strange last name -- but even so, then shouldn't it be "Ruth Chris's Steak House"? Is it owned by people whose Christian names are Ruth and Chris? If so, why would it not be spelled "Ruth AND Chris's Steak House"?

I have never bloody understood this. Can someone do some 'splainin' as Ricky Ricardo once was wont to say?

Ruth bought the Chris Steak House and renamed it Ruth's Chris Steak House.
http://www.ruthschris.com/sizzle/ruths_story2.html

carter

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Aside from the aforementioned chains, which most all are represented in Chicago, I would suggest: Gibson's, Chicago Chop House, the Saloon, the Butcher Shop, Rosebud Steakhouse, Gene and Georgetti and Ditka's.

Also, a few seafood restaurants that offer excellent steaks: Joe's Stone Crab, Mccormick & Schmick's and Hugo's Frog Bar.

I had one of the best steaks ever at Gibson's. Mmmmm...

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Isn't there one of those 72 ounce places near Orlando, FL where if you eat it to in less than an hour you get it for free?????? I'm going out that way in January and I'll not eat for two days to win that hefer.:D

Feraud

Bartender
Lincsong said:
Isn't there one of those 72 ounce places near Orlando, FL where if you eat it to in less than an hour you get it for free?????? I'm going out that way in January and I'll not eat for two days to win that hefer.:D
Actually.. you had better start eating to expand your stomach! ;)

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Mark from Plano said:
Dallas is steakhouse Nirvana. Steakhouses in Dallas are so good that top name houses like Smith & Wollensky have tried to make a go and couldn't do it.

Some of the tops by category:
Large Chain:
-Ruth's Chris
-Morton's
-The Palm
-Capital Grille
-Del Frisco's
-Sullivan's
-Lawry's

Local & Small Chain:
-Al Biernat's
-Bob's Steak and Chop House
-Chamberlain's Steak and Chop House
-Dakota's
-Nick & Sam's
-III Forks
-Pappas Brothers Steakhouse
-Steve Field's Steakhouse
-Perry's
-The Chapparal Room (top of the Adams Mark, great view of the city)
-Silver Fox

Specialty and Foreign Steaks:
-Benihana (Japanese)
-Japon (Japanese)
-Fogo de Chao (Brazilian)
-Rafain (Brazilian)
-Texas de Brazil (Brazilian)

I would suggest one from the local/small chain list since you can go to a Mortons anywhere.

Good list Mark from Plano. I'm in Houston. I have been to most of the Dallas locations you listed. I did not like III Forks, ironic since the owner used to run the excellent Del Frisco's Double Eagle. The Pappas Bros. is originally a Houston dinner house, so we'll have to lay claim to that.

Not for just steaks, but for anything, Abacus, I found to be one of the best restaurants in Dallas. Unknown to the rest of the US, but I think Dallas has the best eateries in the country. Let's not let those people living north of the Red River learn too much. Okay?

Cheers,

M8

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
The Hilltop Steak House in Saugus, Mass., at the sign of the Giant Neon Cactus. You can't miss it.

hiltopSteakHouse.jpg

I love the fiberglass cows out front too--Route One is a cheezy delight with the sign for the Leaning Tower of Pizza, Karl's Sausage Kitchen, and so many more.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Not so fast there buckaroo.

Martinis at 8 said:
Good list Mark from Plano. I'm in Houston....The Pappas Bros. is originally a Houston dinner house, so we'll have to lay claim to that.
M8

Having lived in Houston for a number of years in the early 90's, I agree that Pappas Bros. began their excellent restaurant business there. They actually started in the ice business.

However, their original Steakhouse is in Dallas. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy