Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It's my email address, because when I started here, I was afraid I'd go a long time between posts, and forget who I was. Little did I dream.
So, actually now that you mention it, I'd like to find out if I'd be able to change it without having to go back to a zero posts status, and lose my identity to all the people I've met so far in the FL.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Joie (said Joey) has been my nickname as long as I can remember, and the only first name I respond to (I don't recognize my given name as me!!)

Since I was using Joie, I loved the play on the French saying of "joie de vive" or joy of life. I can't think of a better nome de plume for me. :D

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Amy = Real first name
Jeanne = After movie actress Jeanne Eagels, who died in 1929 of a herion overdose. I'm fascinated with lesser-known starlets who died young and under seedy circumstances!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Amy Jeanne said:
Amy = Real first name
Jeanne = After movie actress Jeanne Eagels, who died in 1929 of a herion overdose. I'm fascinated with lesser-known starlets who died young and under seedy circumstances!
I just happen to have been Googling Jeanne Eagels the other day. I'm fascinated by her also. The bio I read said that they suspect that she was convulsing, and one doctor didn't realize that another doctor had already given her a powerful sedative injection, and gave her another one. Sounds very plausible. I loved the quote from Ruth Gordon: "She was the most beautiful thing I ever saw. And if you saw her, she would be the most beautiful thing you ever saw." I pair her with Marilin Miller. They were no starlets, they were HUGE stars.
Yes, I know, off topic. Sorry.

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
There is a psychobilly kinda group from San Diego called Deadbolt. They did a whole album about truck drivers, my husband is a truck driver. His internet nickname is 'TruckdrivinSOB' from the Deadbolt song, it used to be Voodoo Trucker, (the title of the album). I took the 'Voodoo' from that and added 'Kitten' to it. That was many many years ago when that particular album came out and the name seemed to fit me and stuck.

I'm planning on getting personalized plates for my Falcon when I've got the spare dough that says "VODOKTN".

mikepara

Practically Family
Lets see...

I'm Mike and when I started posting I was what the military call a Parachutist and what the comics call a paratrooper, I prefere the latter!
I also prefere Michael but I only get that when my wife is angry with me lol.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
When I was settin-up my cable tv service, they totally messed up my name... well, not totally but close, and since then I've adopted it as a sort of alter-ego: Miz Pina. Plus, it has kind of a nice ring to it.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh my. Well when I was in-country long ago as a recon Marine everyone got a moniker given them by the squad as something that fit. The Viking was a huge, fearless blond powerhouse of a guy. Bull had a massive upper body. Smokey was a black guy with green eyes like Smokey Robinson. The Kid was just 17.

I used to unknowlingly allow my finger to "twitch" on the trigger guard when we were hunkered down silently waiting for Charlie and that's how I got that name which I still use.......[huh]

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
Oh my. Well when I was in-country long ago as a recon Marine everyone got a moniker given them by the squad as something that fit. The Viking was a huge, fearless blond powerhouse of a guy. Bull had a massive upper body. Smokey was a black guy with green eyes like Smokey Robinson. The Kid was just 17.

I used to unknowlingly allow my finger to "twitch" on the trigger guard when we were hunkered down silently waiting for Charlie and that's how I got that name which I still use.......[huh]

Thank you for your service Twitch. You're service during an unpopular time is very often the most overlooked and I wish to extend my eternal gratitude and appreciation.:eusa_clap

oswulf

New in Town
Okay, I'll play. A family member did some genealogical research a few years ago and managed to trace my mom's side of the family back about a thousand years pretty directly. Oswulf is the name of the oldest ancestor we've been able to verify. He was a Flemish fellow who signed on with Willy bast*rd (I mean William the Conqueror) for a little picnic in England. He must have done something right as he was given an estate near York for his troubles after the tussle.

Family history can be really interesting if you can get some stories about your ancestors. I recently managed to trace my father's side of the family back as far as 1712 (where it dead ends) to a Mennonite born in Alsace France after his father fled from Switzerland because of the persecution they were experiencing there. He emigrated to America in 1736 to Berks Co. PA, and there's a nice story about how he and his family were involved in an Indian attack during the French and Indian war. Being a Mennonite and a pacifist he refused to let his sons shoot at the Indians attacking them and as a result he and two sons were taken captive and the rest of the family were killed. They remained captives of the Indians (don't know which tribe) for about six years, the two sons eventually becoming part of the tribe for awhile and had a hard time reintegrating with white society when they were freed.

Pretty interesting stuff really.

Parallel Guy

One of the Regulars
My hobby is following other years day for day. Currently I am following 1945 since that year and this one mesh up (Apr. 14 is Saturday in both years). I read the magazines, listen to the radio shows, etc. Anyway, I couldn't really think of what else to call it so I call it parallel history and so I must be Parallel Guy. By the way, Franklin Roosevelt's funeral is Sunday.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Parallel Guy said:
My hobby is following other years day for day. Currently I am following 1945 since that year and this one mesh up (Apr. 14 is Saturday in both years). I read the magazines, listen to the radio shows, etc. Anyway, I couldn't really think of what else to call it so I call it parallel history and so I must be Parallel Guy. By the way, Franklin Roosevelt's funeral is Sunday.

That's cool. :)
What happens on December 2nd? (My birthday)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael