Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Mine's pretty lame.

I like having vintage and antique stuff surrounding me in my everyday life and immersing myself as much as possible in that subject of history and its art and design, etc. etc...

I was also lazy, not thinking very creatively the day I joined the forum.
So there you have it, retro today. :eek: Yawn.

I'm thinking about just changing it to my real name as I don't really hide anyways, my name's in all the posts.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Mahagonny, the city of nets

My all time favorite opera is the 1930 Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny (Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny). The opera is about a group of whores and thieves who create a town where you can do anything you like, as long as you can pay for it. Not your usual stuffy opera fare.

The lawless commerce driven town in the opera reminded me of the Internet back in the day, especially when I was working for a big web hosting company. When the time came I registered the domain Mahagonny.com to use for my obligatory computer consulting business (because old hackers never die, they just become consultants).

When I came to The Lounge, my usual screen names had already been taken. However, Mahagonny is from the 1930's and I thought Mahagonny Bill had a nice old timey ring to it. So it wasn't much of a stretch. My name is Bill and as far as the Internet is concerned, I'm from Mahagonny (.com, that is...)

Bluebird

New in Town
"Bluebird of Happiness"

My Great-gram was a firm believer in bluebirds. Gram had embroidered pillowcases that she gave me with bluebirds on them and when she passed I received a little bluebird figurine. So now I make sure that there is a bluebird in my house, to make double sure of happiness. Because Gramma said so. One day I hope to find chalkware bluebirds (my hubby is dreading the day...poor soul...like he has a choice) ;)

^_^bluebird

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
tempest is derived from my last name...bella waa my beloved gran who died last yr 4 days after valentines aged 86, her and my grandad (whos still alive) got one last lovely valentine day (candles meal etc)...it wasnt long after i found this site, so picked her name..

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I have a good friend who grew up in various parts of the Mideast. We served in the Army together, and sometimes instead of hollering "Hey Dave" ( Dave being my name) he'd yell "Yah Daoud!" , that being Dave in Arabic. It's stuck in my head all these years, and I've used it as a screen name in several forums.

ET

One of the Regulars
I was ET before the movie of the same name. I like it better than any other nickname.

Ed, not Eddie or Eddy

Incidentally, my nickname for my nephew of the same name is Bert, from Egbert. Saved confusion in family gatherings.

Adelaide

New in Town
Viola said:
Wanted a vintage-sounding girl's name, which my real name is not, and violas are pretty flowers (violets and pansies and johnny-jump-ups).

Ditto that, and add to it that I am the Farm Wife type. So my name would be somewhat out of fashion and dated. Like me.

;)

A.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I chose mine because Paladin was a gentleman of class and style, who had a eye for the fine things of life but made his living putting evil things right. Its what I've done for 32 years and I like to think he and I have all the above in common.

N2S3

New in Town
Mine's the typecode for good old Boeing Stearman, Navy Type. Old Biplane used in WWII to train ten-thousands of pilots how to fly. Navy and Army Air Force used same plane. There are some of them still flying today.

Avatar is front-end of an Harvard T-6, another fine Trainer of WWII. T-6 was Advanced Trainer, used after primary training in the Stearman.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating answers, some of 'em! Not mine. A girlfriend from long ago had a compulsion: turning every normal name into an abnormal one. She said it with such gusto, though!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran