Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

Hercule

Practically Family
Way back when I was taking an undergraduate French class, the professor assigned us French names. Mine was Hercule. I only recently thought about it when I saw a Masterpiece Mystery segment about David Suchet taking the modern day Orient Express, this in conjunction with his role as Hercule Poirot. I'm not really a Francophile in any sense, but I do really like French films. They seem to be the only ones who can do a period picture right.

H

OldSoul

Familiar Face
I was once dating a girl and I saw something one day while we were driving in my old '53 Chevrolet (then new to me) that must have annoyed me, as I went on some rant about how society as a whole was going to hell in a handbasket blah blah blah. She started laughing, and when I asked her what she found so funny she said "Your just an old soul is all."

After we parted ways I've never forgot that comment, so it's now my username as well as the name of my car club.

rippy444

Familiar Face
Where di user name come from ?

My full name initials spell RIP. My father called me by the name Rippy untill his passing.

Ralph Irving Perrino

spiff

New in Town
I usually use Spacewoman Spiff for all my accounts which I took from Spaceman Spiff. Spaceman Spiff is one of Calvin's alter ego in the Calvin and Hobbes comic strips. I simplify it sometimes to just Spiff.

nwjavahead

New in Town
I use mine on several BB/Forums, as well as various IM systems...
Growing up I split mytime between Nazareth, PA (Phili) and Bellingham, WA (Seattle), in highschool/college, there was a scene in Bellingham that got labeled "Javaheads" kinda a neo-beatnick, post-grunge, fedora wearing rockabilliwa...so, Northwest Javahead becomes nwjavahead...

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I was raised in England, but both parents are Italian, when i went back to live there in my twenties for a few years, my elderly female relatives decided to call me Sofia as they just couldn't for the life of them pronounce my real name, Saffron and it's translation in Italian 'zafferano', well that's like calling your kid Parsley or Chilli or something, so Sofia it was!

Juanito

One of the Regulars
I'm 5'8" and 150-155#. All my friends growing up were 6'2". There have been several people named John that I either went to school with or worked with and they were either taller or heavier, so invariable I've been "Little Jon."

I travel a lot in Mexico and naturally everyone calls me Juan there.

My wife is Romanian and her dad (his name is Ion, John in Romainian) speaks something like 8 languages fluently--most romance languages. We were over at their place and they have an Equadorian guy that stays with them who only knew Spanish at the time. Her dad introduced me to Evanal (the Equadorian). He looked at me for a second and simply said: "Juanito!"

It has stuck ever since and everyone calls me that--so much so that when someone meets me for the first time (if we have a mutual acquaintance, for example) they are surprised that I am not Hispanic!

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
mine's well not so much hate cuase i don't really know her or anything just more of a disliking... Dita Von teese.. :eek:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Juanito said:
I'm 5'8" and 150-155#. All my friends growing up were 6'2". There have been several people named John that I either went to school with or worked with and they were either taller or heavier, so invariable I've been "Little Jon."

I travel a lot in Mexico and naturally everyone calls me Juan there.

My wife is Romanian and her dad (his name is Ion, John in Romainian) speaks something like 8 languages fluently--most romance languages. We were over at their place and they have an Equadorian guy that stays with them who only knew Spanish at the time. Her dad introduced me to Evanal (the Equadorian). He looked at me for a second and simply said: "Juanito!"

It has stuck ever since and everyone calls me that--so much so that when someone meets me for the first time (if we have a mutual acquaintance, for example) they are surprised that I am not Hispanic!

lol :eusa_clap

DAJE

One of the Regulars
DAJE

First two letters of my first name + first two letters of my second name.

Just using my initials (DJ) is pretty boring, probably already taken, and might lead people to assume I play records in clubs, which I most certainly don't.

I could have typed it DaJe, but I think all-caps looks better.

And, since my name is Dave, it's close enough to that while still being original/untaken.

Kopf-Jaeger

New in Town
Kopf-Jaeger because my Great-Grandfather was a 'Trench-Raider' in WW1. Kind of a slang name they gave themselves (Head-Hunter)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy