Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Conwill is a small village in Wales where my ancestors originate. Along with William, John, and Norman, David is a very common name for Conwill men (it is my father's middle name, my great uncle's first name, my great-grandfather's first name, and my great-great uncle's first name).

-David

dilbert123

New in Town
Dilbert does not refer to the comic strip character, although the original Dilbert was a comic character. Dilbert is (or was at least in my day) U S Navy pilot slang for someone who messes up a lot. Being called a Dilbert is not good, somewhat like the Sad Sack of WW II. There was a training device that taught pilots how to escape a water ditching if the aircraft turned upside down that was known as the "Dilbert Dunker." I don't know if the name is still used today- I'm 65 and retired, but always though the name was funny.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The Wiser Hatter is pretty obivous. My last name is Wiser and I am interested in Hat's. I generally use ewiser but my bellsouth email account put
the fedora email to acctivate my forum account in a spam filter some where and I had to come up with another user name as ewiser is now locked to the bellsouth account. So the Wiser Hatter it is. I have enjoyed coming to the lounge and learning about all the great hats.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I grew up on a property (farm) in the Hunter Valley of NSW, Australia. My father named it Adnamira. He found the name in a book of aboriginal words. How fair dinkum an aboriginal word it is, I do not know, but it is supposed to mean 'flowing water'. My mother's name is Edna, so that influenced his choice of the name and the Goulbourn River flowed through the place - it was more of a sandy creek than a river most of the time, but that is Australia for you. The Hunter Valley area is mostly alluvial flood plains surrounded by sandstone hills. The area is now extensively mined for coal, which has changed the hydrology of the aquifers and rivers. I've written a number of songs about the irony that farmers in Australia are becoming highly regulated for the sake of the environment, to protect rivers, but as soon as someone finds coal or gas underneath any of it, the Government falls over themselves to allow miners to dig it all up and pepper it with gas wells. My username on youtube is Adnamira.

It's boring, but here goes. My handle/username/whaeveryouwannacallit came into existence years ago when I joined my first online forum, and I've used it ever since just to be consistent; the only variation is on Club Obi Wan, where I go by "Zombie Jones".

"Zombie" comes from my interest in classic horror films (specifically White Zombie) and the music of Rob Zombie. "61" is the year I was born. The underscore...just 'cuz. Looking back, I wish I'd been more clever, but it is what it is.

Isis

One of the Regulars
Mine originate from a wordplay my sister did with my real name, when we were kid. I don't think she was aware that there is an Egyptian godess with that name when she was 2. :) I have used it as a net name for ten years or so.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
My username comes from my favorite cultural influence (swing music, dance, culture, and style), and my volunteer job (at a trolley museum). Also the idea that I want to have some job in transportation or public transit, and I am determined to like my job enough to always share a smile with the people I work with. So yeah, something like the swing-era transit operator who is always cheerful and whistling or singing a good tune, enough that people can't help but smile when they step off his streetcar.

Also the idea that I want to have some job in transportation or public transit, and I am determined to like my job enough to always share a smile with the people I work with. So yeah, something like the swing-era transit operator who is always cheerful and whistling or singing a good tune, enough that people can't help but smile when they step off his streetcar.
Reading your post reminded me of a trip my wife (who was my fiancée at the time) and I took to San Francisco in 1980. Neither of us had been there before, so we decided to do the typical "tourist stuff"--Fisherman's Wharf, the Alcatraz tour, Coit Tower, etc.--which included a ride on a cable car. The operator of the car we chose was a real character--singing or whistling, swinging on the various control levers, making flirtatious comments to the ladies (in that overly dramatic "I'm just playing, so don't take it too seriously" kind of way), shouting "Hang on, we're deviatin'" just before every curve, barking at cab drivers and, all the while, carrying on a conversation with us about where we "should" go while we were in town. It was one of those things that made our first San Francisco experience that much more memorable. So if you're ever fortunate enough to get that job, remember you just might make someone's day by simply standing out in the crowd.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
:arated::eek:fftopic::arated:

Ha! Amazing story, Zombie_61, sounds like that operator was having a ball! I'd think there's a balance between focus/safety and having fun, and that guy must have really known his trade. Here's hoping there are still jobs with sufficiently accommodating management when I get out of this crazy little place called college!

And when you're running a holiday streetcar trip, you totally get more people to join in the carol singing if you play accompaniment on the trolley gong. :dance:

Oh, absolutely. Beneath the "act" was a professional who was constantly aware of the behavior of the passengers, traffic conditions, pedestrians, etc., and never allowed his "tomfoolery" to distract him from the performance of his duties and, most importantly, the safety of his passengers and those around his car.

My apologies for derailing this thread ever so slightly. :yo:

CR141

Familiar Face
I recently bought a Schott cafe racer motorcycle jacket before I registered for the lounge. I was trying to figure out a user name. I used the c from cafe and the r from racer and 141 the model number of the jacket. Hence the name CR141.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24