Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Where there's tea, there's hope"

cptjeff

Practically Family
Sanka is what we now know as "decaf coffee".

Cafix says it's Malted barley, chicory, barley, rye, beet roots. Chicory has been used as a coffee substitute for ages.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
While preparing for an audition that went dismally, I was trying to save my voice and I chanced upon an interesting tea. Vanilla Honey Chamomile.

Relaxing, soothing, calming, unique flavor. Once you get used to it it's quite enjoyable!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
This looks like a nice event held three times a year here in S.R.C

http://highteainspectors.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html

P1040563.JPG

pub_3365.jpg

http://highteainspectors.blogspot.com/2010/11/high-tea-at-maj-his-majestys-theatre.html

4508437901_b434db419d.jpg

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
Couldn't survive without my tea. A while ago I started to try out different estate teas. After a lifetime of Red Rose teabags, I'm now a firm convert to loose tea.

If I don't feel like milk in the tea I'll brew some Darjeeling from the Margaret's Hope estate.

If I feel like milk, I'll go for a Kenya Marinyn or any Yunan Black.

You'd think that drinking the estate teas would be more pricey than grocery store teabags...but it isn't. (Oh, all right...maybe just a bit)

Dubya

One of the Regulars
Yorkshire blend tea, for hard water......................or I'll push the boat out for Yorkshire Gold if I find an extra thruppence ha'penny down the back of the sofa! :p

Must be strong with a splash of semi skimmed milk and one heaped sugar. Taken many, many times a day :D

davidraphael

Practically Family
Although I'm English I never had a cup of black tea until I was 40 (I'd only ever drank green, chamomile, nettle, etc).
Now I drink it all the time.

I like it the way (some) Turks make it - an ordinary black tea steeped with cloves. It was actually in Istanbul that I acquired the taste for black tea.

I drink it without milk, but have a teaspoon of honey (from the hive in my garden)...

IMG_9678.JPG

Last edited:

dnjan

One Too Many
Has anyone had the re-formulated Twinings Earl Grey? Is it really as bad as some of the news stories have said?

olive bleu

One Too Many
I am a certified life long tea drinker. My mother and Grandmother both served it to me in my sippy cup probably since i was one. My paternal Grandmother who lived with us untill she died ( i was 6) always bought Red Rose, so to me, that was real tea. My mother always stated( behind my Grandmother's back) that she despised Red Rose tea and as soon as my Grandmother passed away, threw it away and bought something else. I, in turn, swore that when i grew up and had a home of my own, i would buy Red Rose again, which i have been happily doing for 20 years.

I drink it with milk ( preferably canned milk) and sugar.

I also enjoy earl grey, Lady grey, English breakfast,etc. but despite the fact that people seem to keep giving it to me as gifts, i really can't aquire a taste for green tea.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
In 25 years in the USAF I never got to where I could stand coffee. I drank tea from time to time, usually black tea with sugar but I didn't really enjoy it. Then I was stationed in England and was introduced to tea with milk and sugar. That did it for me! I cannot say I became a tea connoisseur; my tastes really are not that refined and I don't drink it often enough to matter. These days, though, I generally start my morning with a small pot of Red Rose. I boil the water in an electric kettle (finding one of those when I retuned stateside 9 years ago was a challenge, easier these days) and generally swish a bit of the hot water around in the pot before adding tea bags and water. Milk and sweetner go into the mug (yes, I said mug!) and after a suitable length of time the tea follows. The length of time is variable, based on whether I get distracted or not. One thing that sticks in my mind is that a friend of mine over there commented that leaving tea bags in the pot longer than 5 minutes means the tea goes from brewing to stewing. I dunno; I don't really notice that much of a difference other than it does get stronger.

I own a few different tea pots, including one I made when I was a Fine Arts major in the early '80s and was interested in ceramics. The smaller one that holds about two coffee mugs worth is the one that gets the most use.

I have given up on trying to get tea in US restaurants. They just don't get it. In a coffee place that I thought would know better they put the milk I asked for in the cup, then put in the tea bag and the hot water. :eusa_doh:Not quite what I was asking for! Regular restaurants want to bring me a full glass of milk.
[huh]

Cheers,
Tom

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have given up on trying to get tea in US restaurants. They just don't get it. In a coffee place that I thought would know better they put the milk I asked for in the cup, then put in the tea bag and the hot water. :eusa_doh:Not quite what I was asking for! Regular restaurants want to bring me a full glass of milk.
[huh]

Cheers,
Tom

The only thing that I have found works consistently is to ask for Hot Tea. Then ask for a small creamer with milk/ cream- like people get for coffee. Typically when I am out, the safest way to get tea is to ask for it as Hot Tea with Lemon, if you like it like that.

I've never met a tea I didn't like. Black tea, green tea, white tea, and herb tea. Love them. Drink about 10-14 cups of a combination of those everyday. Black tea I like with milk (or lemon when I'm out). I don't like sugar in my tea- ruins the flavor. Hot tea or iced tea. Loose leaf or bagged.

Dubya

One of the Regulars
For those who like their tea nice and strong (that's me!), I can recommend NAFFI tea......

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Must be drunk with milk and sugar.
Guaranteed to put hairs on your tongue, but don't spill any on the furniture as it will remove the varnish! :D

DNO

One Too Many
One of my most memorable cups of tea was on the lawn at the Royal Marines Museum in Eastney. It was served from a caravan by two lovely ladies and was accompanied by an absolutely delicious pie (bumbleberry, I think). My wife and I sat at a small table next to a R. M. Warrant Officer class 1 and his wife. Terrific. That was back in 1985 but I still remember it fondly.

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
I get my tea from the Tea emporium in Bath when I visit with my Aunt. They have millions of different teas. I am in there with my husband for hours literally, sniffing teas, sipping teas its quite quite silly really.

I go through phases, depending on how I feel.

Cammomile to calm me usually in the afternoon
Fennel tea to perk me up and soothe my stomach in the early mornings
Eqyptian Liqorice tea if its cold out, and I want a bit of a kick
Green tea is very versatile
If you like a creamy sweet vanilla tea, a vanilla roobios tea is lovely with milk...

Always from a teapot though, so you can brew it and keep topping your-self up. I collect vintage teapots to go with different themes for tea parties you see.

earl

A-List Customer
Wasn't til I stumbled upon a great tea shop with a wonderful array of bulk teas did I discover I liked tea. Lipton from the grocery shelves didn't do much for me.:eeek: Typically go for black teas-Assams, Darjeelings, and Keemun primarily. On a Keemun kick at the moment. But still have to have a good dark roast coffee in the am. Tea is a noon drink for me. earl

mdove

Familiar Face
After years in the Army...well only had coffee two times. Once at Ike's funeral to warm up, and the other in Germany to warm up. Rest of the time it was whatever passed for tea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters