Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

I personally felt that the big indicator as to the move to revolting was the year that a lot of the guys showed up to he Academy Awards in a tux with the carbuchon stone at the top button of the shirt instead of a tie.

I still remember Billy Crystal as MC said to some guy that came up using that MOM voice: "What, you couldn't put on a tie?!!!"

But as someone mentioned a thousand posts back. In the 1970's there still was a sense of dressing up for certain occasions which gets points as opposed to the decline to now where people want to dress like teens into their 60's, wear pajama bottoms to the store and have never worn a tie in their life.

Slouching towards Gomorrah.

The difference is that if they were wearing pajama pants designed in the 70s they would look like this:
2007_06_19unisex-509x1024.jpg

It is bad enough that they wear pajama pants but they would be UGLY on top of it.
Oh and they would be dressing up in a Leisure suit or Nehru jacket. :eek:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
In my opinion, the only three tuxedo colors worth considering are the basic black, navy, or maybe a white or off-white dinner jacket with black trousers. That's all I believe to be presentable in any occasion a tuxedo is required, or appreciated. Anything else is just the by-product of some fashion trend.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In my opinion, the only three tuxedo colors worth considering are the basic black, navy, or maybe a white or off-white dinner jacket with black trousers. That's all I believe to be presentable in any occasion a tuxedo is required, or appreciated. Anything else is just the by-product of some fashion trend.

Sooooooo, what you're saying is that the 1980's sherbet colors just didn't work for you? I threatened el wifo with renting all of the pastel tuxes from the store, each groomsman in a different sherbet color. Orange sherbet, Lime Sherbet, Lemon Sherbet, Grape (I guess) Lavender, and pink. They also had Sky blue tuxes back then. What I DID do was walk in and tell the guy I wanted to look like James Bond. Wasn't a problem.

Later

I wore a black tux for my prom in 1975 because the pastel colors just did not look right to me. I actually got sort of negative comments from the pastel guys. They said I looked like the owner of the hall and not a celebrant. However, in the picture of our group time was on my side.

I wore a black tux for my prom in 1975 because the pastel colors just did not look right to me. I actually got sort of negative comments from the pastel guys. They said I looked like the owner of the hall and not a celebrant. However, in the picture of our group time was on my side.

I bet time was on your side. Now they look like something out of a Village People video. :p

That is about the size of it. Mentioning the white jacket will make Marty Robbins proud. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails