Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Open Road would you travel?

Cigarband

A-List Customer
A friend of mine is offering to sell me either of his vintage Open Roads. They both date from 1965. One is marked "Royal Deluxe Stetson Open Road" the other is marked "Open Road 3X Quality Stetson". From the pics he emailed me they both look in great shape, so I want to know which is the better quality hat? The floor is open.:D

Chinaski

One Too Many
I'm sure you want a hat you can knock around in and wear everyday, so take the Royal Deluxe. I'll help you out and take the 3x which would need much more babying. I'm only here to help and you can thank me later.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Like the ever continuing arguement of 9mm vs. .45, the real answer is "why not have both?"

:D

But if it were up to me I would consider not only the quality but also the color, condition and which one tickles my fancy.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thunderw21 said:
Like the ever continuing arguement of 9mm vs. .45, the real answer is "why not have both?"

:D

But if it were up to me I would consider not only the quality but also the color, condition and which one tickles my fancy.

As to the first sentence, there is no argument :eek: (bb vs. boulder)! But--as to the hats; both is best!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
I would consider not only the quality but also the color, condition and which one tickles my fancy.

I agree. Go with the one that tickles you the best as in the quote. I would also add the question of fit. Which one fits best and feels best on your head?

As far as the admonition to buy both is concerned, I'm in the minority. It's not important that you buy both if all you need and want is one.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
If one does not have a factory cattlemans crease go with that one. If neither do, I'd go with the Royal Deluxe, I have both and prefer the Royal.

Justdog

Practically Family
Choice

Cigarband said:
A friend of mine is offering to sell me either of his vintage Open Roads. They both date from 1965. One is marked "Royal Deluxe Stetson Open Road" the other is marked "Open Road 3X Quality Stetson". From the pics he emailed me they both look in great shape, so I want to know which is the better quality hat? The floor is open.:D

Tough choice. Royal deluxe is a beautiful hat, may be a thicker felt. 3X is probably softer and a tad more pliable. Basically you cannot go wrong with either. If they are both stamped Open road and do not have initials stamped and ask about the integrity of the sweatband threads. Just a few points to differentiate the 2 hats to give one an edge over the other. Any chance of posting the pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy