Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White formal vest?

Chrome

One of the Regulars
I bought this vest from Ebay and I thought to ask about usage. Is it formal wear or older use as please vest?

liivit.jpg

And can someone say anything about only manufacturer marking in it.
liivilogo.jpg

Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
I doubt it was a suit, but it's too high for evening wear. Summer wedding wear, perhaps... (of course, we assume here that it was made by or at the instruction of someone who followed what was "correct").

Qirrel

Practically Family
Are the buttons detachable? If so, it is probably a washable summer vest. I haven't seen any 30s or 20s examples, but I know that they were common well into the edwardian period.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
In late 19th century was summer day wear for well dressed merchant or professional man especially in Europe. Today is considered formal wear.

There must be mention of white pique vests in Finnish novels of the Victorian era.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Damn you! I want a white waistcoat!!

It's a regular-wear vest. Part of a summer suit or just an odd waistcoat to be worn with contrasting jacket and/or trousers.

A formal white waistcoat (such as with White Tie) is lower cut. The buttons are closer together. There would be four (sometimes three) of them, instead of the five or six (or even up to eight) that regular waistcoats (which is what this is), would have.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Thanks for answers and photos.

I hoped that it wouldn't be for formal use, goody goody. Reason I asked is that I knew that current formal vest is low opening model but as in other items things change. All is well and now I have nice vest for summer use, I only lack the jacket now :)

And yes, vest has removable buttons.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
No, no, no. The formal white vests are MUCH lower-cut at the front. Something like this would've gone with summerwear or with a contrasting jacket and trousers or something else along those lines. This wasn't something you wore to dinner with the Vanderbilts.

It's a very handsome waistcoat. Now I want to see a photo of what it looks like when you're wearing it!!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It's a regular-wear vest. Part of a summer suit or just an odd waistcoat to be worn with contrasting jacket and/or trousers.
Whilst it's definitely not evening wear I wonder whether it was ever intended to be worn with morning dress, possibly underneath another waistcoat (back in the days when gentlemen occasionally wore two waistcoats but now only wear one with a slip underneath).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I doubt if it would go with morning dress. I think it might possibly have gone with just a white suit. Something like this:

megasuits_bravo_4_2010_67901-carlolusso_tan_2butvest-042743megasuits_bravo_4_2010.jpg

It looks like it's made of marcella though, and I have yet to see a marcella suit (though that would be an interesting idea).

I didn't mean wearing it by itself with morning dress but under another waistcoat like a waistcoat slip, since waistcoat slips started off as white waistcoats worn under a darker waistcoat:
images

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That's true. I overlooked that fact :eusa_doh:. Perhaps a multi-use garment usable as an under-waistcoat and summer waistcoat?
This doesn't seem to pass Occam's Razor particularly well. I would assume that it is the contrasting waistcoat shown in some earlier pics, designed to be worn either with morning dress or with a lounge suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner