Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHO made Johnny Depps hats for Public Enemies

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Doublegun said:
Great question. I was a little concerned about it and we agreed that if I said "close your eyes" she would. There is one "sex scene" with Johnny and Billy but they are clothed and it is nothing graphic. The violence, and there is plenty of that, is handled well - nothing extrordinary or overly graphic. My daughter is 15 and has probably seen worse on regular TV.

Thanks for the heads up

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
I actually thought the interrogation scene with the woman was a bit rough for young ones myself, Bart, but that is just my opinion.
I know that this has been discussed before, but did anyone else notice all of the shorter brims? Graham talked about in the article (thatnks for that, Goose) that it was the most accurate depiction of that time period. Is this correct? Am I missing something? I thought that there were more larger brims during this period and the shorter brim really did not come into play until later. I am still pretty new to this, so maybe I am missing something.

JP

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose. said:
Posted this in an Optimo thread earlier.
Kind of cool for those that haven't read the article about Optimo hats in the movie, or seen the short video...

An article with a short video of Graham at Optiomo.
Don't have one of Graham's hats...and probably never will due to the cost. But thought some may be interested in this...

http://www.suntimes.com/business/1623888,CST-NWS-HATS16.article

Thanks for the link, Goose. I hadn't seen that before. I'm anxious to see the movie and to get to Optimo before I get much older.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
JPMcAdara said:
I actually thought the interrogation scene with the woman was a bit rough for young ones myself, Bart, but that is just my opinion.
I know that this has been discussed before, but did anyone else notice all of the shorter brims? Graham talked about in the article (thatnks for that, Goose) that it was the most accurate depiction of that time period. Is this correct? Am I missing something? I thought that there were more larger brims during this period and the shorter brim really did not come into play until later. I am still pretty new to this, so maybe I am missing something.

JP

Shorter brims (compared to the 1940s) were the rule of the day when this movie takes place. Anywhere from 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" was normal in the late '20s through to the mid '30s.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Given the subject matter, I thought it was appropriate to go Optimo:

OptimoGray.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed both the movie and the vintage look. Very accurate if I'm any judge and it was really well-acted by everyone. I was really surprised though by how empty the theater was. Couldn't have been more than half-full. I hope they make a lot of money on this one, it was worth it. -M

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
Shorter than that, even, as 2 1/8" was quite common, and 2" wasn't unheard of.

Brad

Just got back from the 7:30 show. The hats were great, but brims were wider than expected. I wore my blue-gray Playboy and saw a very similar hat in an early scene.

The glaring mistake I saw, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong - the racetrack scene had nothing but white slacks and straw hats, but the scenes leading up to it and immediately following it were all cool weather mostly dark suits and hats.

The straw hats we got close-up views of were very high quality.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
This is definitely a movie I'm going to see in the next few days. I have a good chunk of days off from work, so it will work out well with my schedule at some point soon.

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
barrowjh said:
My better half and I went to the 4:00 matinee here in Maryville, and the movie was well done. Plenty of hats, but don't expect to see Johnny wearing a hat most of the time. Wore my best hat; my VS panama:
051009006.jpg

Plenty of nice hats, and a lot of straws at the race track scene (appropriately). Period clothing is nice also, but I am not much of an expert on that part. Johnny dies wearing a boater.

disgraceful me, wore shorts and running shoes with my nice hat (even without the hat, was still likely the best dressed man in the theater!). I did have a collared polo-type shirt (tucked in) and had socks on; not a total slob. If you add up all the clothes I was wearing and multiply it a few times, might equal the value of the hat!

Nice Panama - what does VS mean?

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
ScottF said:
Just got back from the 7:30 show. The hats were great, but brims were wider than expected. I wore my blue-gray Playboy and saw a very similar hat in an early scene.

The glaring mistake I saw, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong - the racetrack scene had nothing but white slacks and straw hats, but the scenes leading up to it and immediately following it were all cool weather mostly dark suits and hats.

The straw hats we got close-up views of were very high quality.

Only a mistake as far as the cutting goes. Historically correct, though. It doesn't mention it, but they're on a vacation to nice, warm Florida during the racetrack scene, whereas the scenes leading up to it and afterward all take place in the midwest.

One thing I missed about the vacation scenes--there's a great part mentioned in the biography where Johnnie gets drunk and takes Billie Frechette out to porch of their rented bungalow in the night to look out at the ocean. He's holding a Thompson as they look up at the stars and he points at the moon and aims his gun. "Think I can hit it?" he says, and fires off a couple rounds into the sky. I wish they had put that in the movie.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks, Marc

Yes, Vintage Silhouettes - Art Fawcett, often very active on this bb.

I have collected two vintage optimo style straws over the past year; they are not special as far as the weave quality goes, so I have not posted them. However, could not help but notice the number of optimo-styled straws at the racetrack scene.

I do not own an Optimo fedora, but have visited Graham's establishment on Western Ave in Chicago (his shop has refurb'd a few of my best vintage hats), and their hats look even better when you are holding them in your hands & inspecting construction details. Exceptional quality work.

Levallois

Practically Family
Saw the movie yesterday at the first show - 1:20 pm - since I'm on vacation and most people have to work for a living the theater was only about 1/4 full. I thought the movie was very good and my wife and daughter enjoyed the love story. Just enough action to keep things interesting and as others have mentioned pretty much "period correct" - I particularly loved the cars - I'm not an expert on clothes or hats but I know period weapons - some you don't see much in movies. Director Mann is a stickler for details and it shows. Highly recommended for anyone who loves 1930s.

John

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
barrowjh said:
I have collected two vintage optimo style straws over the past year; they are not special as far as the weave quality goes, so I have not posted them. However, could not help but notice the number of optimo-styled straws at the racetrack scene.

Yes, and also noticed that they were NOT perfectly blocked. They looked more like a vintage panama probably would have.

My girlfriend actually pointed at an Optimo during the scene and said, "Look, there's a hat like yours"

Goose.

Practically Family
You are welcome JP and BobC...I thought some would find it interesting. I did.

Anyway, I was looking forward to seeing the flick this weekend. Then noted that it's almost 2.5 hours long. Too long for me to sit with strangers. So, I guess I'll wait for the DVD :(

Thanks all for the comments on the movie. Appreciated.

BTW, is Depp's hat mauve or was just bad lighting on my tube?

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
Goose. said:
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue]

BTW, is Depp's hat mauve or was just bad lighting on my tube?[/COLOR]

It is actually Oxblood which is supposed to be a new color Optimo will be offering. The only thing was that one of the Loungers had an Oxblood hat that he showed in the Optimo thread. I don't know all the details, but I do know that some of the custom hatters have talked about offering Oxblood.

JP

Aerol

A-List Customer
Oxblood

Graham at Optimo changes the color palette every year. Oxblood is actually a color from the winter of 2007-2008. Word is that due to demand he's bringing oxblood back this winter.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
JPMcAdara said:
It is actually Oxblood which is supposed to be a new color Optimo will be offering. The only thing was that one of the Loungers had an Oxblood hat that he showed in the Optimo thread. I don't know all the details, but I do know that some of the custom hatters have talked about offering Oxblood.

JP

It's a great color! At times in the film, it looked more purplish than oxblood -- sort of eggplant-colored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21