Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHO made Johnny Depps hats for Public Enemies

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
... Too long for me to sit with strangers. So, I guess I'll wait for the DVD :(

Goose, you're welcome to come watch it at our house. We're no stranger than anyone else in this neighborhood ;). I promise not to attempt conversation while you're at the toilet - heck you can have it all to yourself lol.

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
It's a great color! At times in the film, it looked more purplish than oxblood -- sort of eggplant-colored.

I agree, Marc, it is a great color. I think it sometimes looks puplish, and in othe light it can look black. May be a great alternative to the typical grey.

JP

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We saw the movie this afternoon. The oxblood is a beautiful color, but Depp doesn't wear the hat that much in the flick. I thought one of the coolest scenes was when he was breaking out and picked up someone else's hat then took the time to smooth the brim before he went on. That hat was light brown if I remember, and it was good looking too.

BobC

Mine was also the only hat in the theater. I wore my RBH creased Miller milan. :D

I would have worn my TonyB midnight, but I would have sweated a flood. I'll wear it at home when the DVD comes out.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
We saw the movie this afternoon. The oxblood is a beautiful color, but Depp doesn't wear the hat that much in the flick. I thought one of the coolest scenes was when he was breaking out and picked up someone else's hat then took the time to smooth the brim before he went on. That hat was light brown if I remember, and it was good looking too.

Very observant, Bob. That was when he broke out of the female sheriff's jail. Johnny Depp definitely knows hats - I wonder if he gave any suggestions in that department?

I really enjoyed how they wore a lot of different styles of hats in the movie - different colors, ribbon widths, bashes, etc. Also thought the Texas boys might be wearing new Borsalinos - they were definitely Open Road styles. The exception was the head Texas guy, who had the dark hat with the wide ribbon when he first met Purvis - I believe he switched to an O.R. style toward the end.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Saw it last night and am still a bit torn on the overall movie. I thought far too much time was spent on the shoot-outs than on the characters. But that's just me.

Now, cinematically it was gorgeous. Shot very nicely. And the wardrobe - Wow! - jaw dropping. I liked all the felts, but I was really blown away by Depp's boater. I WANT ONE! Any suggestions?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I agree with everything you've said. His light, thin boater was the best thing about an otherwise weak movie. The fashion and cinematography were fantastic, but the characters weren't developed at all, and the plot was really thin.

Mr. Lucky said:
Saw it last night and am still a bit torn on the overall movie. I thought far too much time was spent on the shoot-outs than on the characters. But that's just me.

Now, cinematically it was gorgeous. Shot very nicely. And the wardrobe - Wow! - jaw dropping. I liked all the felts, but I was really blown away by Depp's boater. I WANT ONE! Any suggestions?

BobC

I've seen quite a few pics of Dillinger wearing boaters. Does anyone know if the film was accurate as far as him wearing one when he was killed?

Ande1964

Practically Family
At times, as Ebert wrote about, Michael Mann chose accuracy over storytelling, which is interesting. He put the woman at the theater in the orange skirt she really wore, for example, instead of the red dress of legend.

I've written two historical fiction graphic novels myself. I usually choose story and theme over precise historical fact. I don't feel it's my job to get something right if it interferes with my story, as long as I'm being true to the nature of the people involved, and the overall flow of events. My books are intended to teach, but the first priority is engaging story.

Film is a little different, because being accurate can also be expensive. Sometimes, the production department says, "We COULD get the 1933 car, but it'll add thirty grand, and you might have to lose that other thing... " and so on. So, you settle from time to time. I think Mann settled relatively little in PE.

Anj

Levallois

Practically Family
I have always liked Ebert's reviews - he hits the nail on the head for me every time. "A very good but not great film" and then puzzlement as to why is what I'm feeling as well. I'm going to have to see it again.

John

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
barrowjh said:
I'll second that, thanks for posting that link. Certainly helps verify the accuracy of many aspects of the movie, including JD's swagger / attitude.

There were major historical inaccuracies to this film, especially regarding who was killed and when and where (Dillinger excluded). I don't think the liberties taken for the sake of storytelling were necessary, but that's generally my attitude about film depictions of actual historical events.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21