Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will hemlines drop this year?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hope so!

I am so tired of having to reject almost-passes-for-30s new clothes because they hit above the knee.
There are some parts of my legs that must not be seen...

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Bring on the long skirts!!!! I just hope it catches on with the younger crowd. I'm looking forward to fall already, not just because it's my favorite season, but also because I'm sick of seeing teenage girls in shorts that barely cover the subject, as it were. I wonder what sort of creative marketing they can do to cater to that age bracket? I know there are many who like those little shorts, but I just think it looks so trashy. [huh]

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Yes its time for the maxi length to come back in style. I think the last time they were in style was sometime in the 90's so its about time they come back. Enjoy it while it last because the once this fashion season is over it will more than likely shift to mini and dare I say micro minis.

The maxi was 'in' over here last summer. I ahve thighs too large for anything above the knee, and I prefer a few inches below. The maxi is just craziness though. I think they're made for people over 7' tall & not for shorties like me lol

Each to their own though, if people want to show what they had for breakfast it's up to them...

Miss 1929

But the good thing about the maxi is, you can shorten it to your preferred length!

And you can't ever lengthen anything beyond the inch or so of hem, if any...

Miss 1929

dollydaydream said:
Oh I can't be bothered faffing about with all that floaty fabric. For me there is an optimum length, between about 1 & 3 inches below the knee anything above or below just doesn't work! lol
It's a bit lower down for me!

One thing I have found very odd in old fashion descriptions, is that everyone wore their skirts the same distance from the ground - which would be very different on a gal 4'6" and a gal 5'11"! But there it is, all these things in old magazines saying the "correct length" is 14 inches from the ground... it seems really strange.

Miss 1929 said:
It's a bit lower down for me!

One thing I have found very odd in old fashion descriptions, is that everyone wore their skirts the same distance from the ground - which would be very different on a gal 4'6" and a gal 5'11"! But there it is, all these things in old magazines saying the "correct length" is 14 inches from the ground... it seems really strange.

I only have little legs! Is that 14" from the ground with or without shoes? lol

Without it looks like an ok length for me. Perhaps I should follow that rule :D

Minerva

Familiar Face
Forgotten Man said:
If the hemlines do drop any, it will be because the waist dropped lower then the hips! lol

Honestly ladies, from this man's perspective, I appreciate longer skirts... a little mystery goes a long way.

Tell me about it. My one friend's daughter likes those low-rise jeans. I swear, if they get any lower on her, they might as well be folded up in the drawer at home. :eek: Whatever happened to leaving something to the imagination ...

I look forward to the return of long skirts. I'm tired of trying on skirts that look to be at least knee-length, only to find out I'd be indecently exposed if I attempt to sit down (I'm about 6 feet tall).

Mojito

One Too Many
I love a maxi! They've been around down here for the last couple of summers.

I bought a long black dress from Morrissey the other day - I suspect it was the last on the rack at the sale as it is *so* long. I'm tall, and it hits the ground on me! Nice style, too - simple jersey fabric, and can be dressed up or down.

Edward

Bartender
DDD, I'm sure your thighs are just fine! From a gentleman's perspective, though, if one feels a definite need to avert one's eyes when the lady is seated or going upstairs on the bus in front of one, then perchance the skirt is too short. Me, I have always liked the long-with-split look in an evening gown - just a flash of stocking top will always be infinitely sexier than the paltry excuse for a dress sported by the tangoed hordes of the mainstream that pass for ladies nowadays.

Mojito said:
I bought a long black dress from Morrissey the other day

I'm imagining this in drag....

morrisey2.jpg

Different Morrissey, I take it!!!? lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I never realized ankle-length skirts were ever out of style -- they've been very popular around here for years, especially during the summer when you see them everywhere -- good protection against blackflies and deer ticks, I guess. The only really short skirts you ever see here are on teenagers and out-of-staters.

Me, I always wear the same length regardless -- two inches below the knee. Much easier to ride a bike that way.

Naama

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
The maxi is just craziness though. I think they're made for people over 7' tall & not for shorties like me lol

Each to their own though, if people want to show what they had for breakfast it's up to them...

Yes, I also don't like the maxi at all! And I think, maxi is something only flattering on tall and thin girls.

Naama

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Minerva said:
Tell me about it. My one friend's daughter likes those low-rise jeans. I swear, if they get any lower on her, they might as well be folded up in the drawer at home. :eek: Whatever happened to leaving something to the imagination ...

I'm with you on that one. I find myself actually saying that outloud these days. And what you said about those jeans reminded me of the other thing I gag when I see anymore - people whose backsides are actually sticking out of the tops of their trousers. This look, once restricted to plummers and therefore appropriately nicknamed, has now found its way onto even the most "fashionable" bottoms. I just don't get it.

Edward

Bartender
Helysoune said:
I'm with you on that one. I find myself actually saying that outloud these days. And what you said about those jeans reminded me of the other thing I gag when I see anymore - people whose backsides are actually sticking out of the tops of their trousers. This look, once restricted to plummers and therefore appropriately nicknamed, has now found its way onto even the most "fashionable" bottoms. I just don't get it.

Maybe they've spent a fortune on those thongs they wear with them, and so consequently want to show them off? 'Whale tail' is so unflattering....

Lillemor

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
I hope so!

I am so tired of having to reject almost-passes-for-30s new clothes because they hit above the knee.
There are some parts of my legs that must not be seen...

The development I've seen in the brands I buy is below knees this season which is good because in recent years I've also had to pass up on nearly 40s-50s styles because the skirts are thigh high. But I've just ordered my whole casual Fall wardrobe today and I've ordered four skirts that fall well below the knee skirts:). I realize it could be a passing trend in mainstream, so I'm stocking up now.

I have two ankle length, straight, wool plaid skirts my MIL gave me last winter.

There were two maxi length skirts similar to the ones I bought but even though I have relatively long legs for my 4'10"ft/147cm, they'd still be too long on me but they were gorgeous.

H&M which younger people gravitate towards here have the same style of skirts as I've bought except.....they're generally much shorter than the ones I bought. So for the younger crowd, I guess there's still no hope unless they discover and adopt my brands. They're not actual "brands". I order from the same catalogues as my mom and MIL. They have the styles I like.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Lets hope!

I for one can't wait for the demise of the mini-mumu things girls are wearing this summer. Is it a shirt? A dress? Sleepwear? I'm a knee length lady myself. I wear a lot of Pendleton skirts

I couldn't get the link to work, but strangly, while doing one of my weird Google searches, I came across this..

linklol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart