Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women with Muscles

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
MissQueenie said:
Well, Jer, as a moonlighting professional artist's model, I have to say variety really is the spice of life, especially in the art community. I was lucky enough not to be branded a "flavor of the week" but while that mentality has a negative connotation, it did mean that the artists I worked with were interested in seeing the human form in all of its miraculous diversity -- scrawny, obese, fit and trim -- didn't matter. The more the better, it seemed! Artists on the whole were so accepting of difference, and it was refreshing to hear a 200 pound girl called "lovely" and a world-worn 70 year old man called "majestic" or "powerful" -- it really is about perception.
:eek: Now, how did you being an artist's model not come up in conversation at the QM??? That's a weird coincidence!

Yes, it was an interesting mix of models we drew in college - the professor pointed out that drawing 'perfect' people would teach us very little, compared to drawing the full range of the human body. Some of those people I can still see clear as day in my mind. The over-muscled (in a knotty, bizarre way) young man who really reminded me of DaVinci's caustic statement about Michaelangelo and his contemporaries, who drew people so muscled they looked like 'a bag of walnuts'. ;) Or the friend of mine who very unexpectedly turned up as a nude model in my class one day ("Oh...hello!"), and had the most interesting tattoos on her shoulder. (I'll save the more graphic examples so we stay on topic.)

Point is, I realized it echoed how I felt about women. An observant female friend had commented that I 'had NO type' per se, and referred to me as 'the equal opportunity dater'. :p I really should have had that put on a business card... ;) Form wasn't as important as quality of personality, but the quality of the person brought out their beauty regardless of their form. Gosh, I hope that makes sense. Back to the 'beer and bowling' thread. :cheers1:

MissQueenie said:
And I still owe you an arm wrestling match. Don't expect to win, either, buster :p
No nose licking! :p Loser buys the cigars, winner buys the drinks. ;)

Bebop

Practically Family
I am one of those odd guys that actually thinks how a woman carries herself and acts towards me is more important than her muscle tone. I have looked at alot of women because of how they walk and carry themselves and not because they are fit or raving beauties. Having said that, I think bodybuilding is a weird thing to do for anyone. Being fit does not necessarily translate to alot of muscles. To concentrate on how you look to the point of looking at yourself in the mirror constantly is a real turn off to me. Men are really on some planet other than mine if they like to look at other mens bodies and compare butt muscles and such.:rolleyes: I find it beyond hedonistic. I am not a big fan of the male body. I am a big fan of femininity. Women bodybuilders look just like men, so why would I like to see women bodybuilders? Having dealt with a few women bodybuilders (co-workers, friends sister), I seem to just turn into "their brother" or cousin. I could never see them as sexually attractive. I usually end up saying "too bad she is so muscular. She has a pretty face".

Harry Lime

Suspended
What?

Bebop said:
I am one of those odd guys that actually thinks how a woman carries herself and acts towards me is more important than her muscle tone. I have looked at alot of women because of how they walk and carry themselves and not because they are fit or raving beauties. Having said that, I think bodybuilding is a weird thing to do for anyone. Being fit does not necessarily translate to alot of muscles. To concentrate on how you look to the point of looking at yourself in the mirror constantly is a real turn off to me. Men are really on some planet other than mine if they like to look at other mens bodies and compare butt muscles and such.:rolleyes: I find it beyond hedonistic. I am not a big fan of the male body. I am a big fan of femininity. Women bodybuilders look just like men, so why would I like to see women bodybuilders? Having dealt with a few women bodybuilders (co-workers, friends sister), I seem to just turn into "their brother" or cousin. I could never see them as sexually attractive. I usually end up saying "too bad she is so muscular. She has a pretty face".

Well, you covered all the bases. Looks aren't important to you so wouldn't judge a woman on her body but that said, really, you would.

This whole thread is a crazy blanket statement about women and certain men's preferences in women by guys who undoubtedly don't enjoy the privilege of spending much time with any women.

Case in point - look at Miss Queenie's avatar. If you've talked yourself out of that, you're nuts.

Harry Lime

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Somebody pee in your Cheerios today, Harry?

Harry Lime said:
Case in point - look at Miss Queenie's avatar. If you've talked yourself out of that, you're nuts.
Yeah, I'll give you that one. But that avatar doesn't do her justice. ;)

Bebop

Practically Family
Harry Lime said:
Well, you covered all the bases. Looks aren't important to you so wouldn't judge a woman on her body but that said, really, you would.

This whole thread is a crazy blanket statement about women and certain men's preferences in women by guys who undoubtedly don't enjoy the privilege of spending much time with any women.

Harry Lime
Once again, I can't figure out what Harry Lime is trying to say. Maybe you should try and "cover all the bases". Blanket statement? Where? Don't enjoy the privilege of spending much time with any women? Where do you get this stuff?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Shamus' 3rd rule

My only rule on women is Shamus' last - must be less hairy than me. I really have to go with MissQueenie and her supporters on the rest. A woman gets dealt a certain body type, and she does what she can with it. I think that's where the beauty lies. Thus, some looks are great for certain women.

I find Madonna kind of icky, but on the right woman, wide shoulders and muscles look really great. I've even seen female body builders who look nice. Then, you take somebody like Camryn Manheim (sorry if I misspell). She's big in a completely different way, but there's something about her...

Besides, it's the 21st century. What's wrong with a woman who can bench-press her man?
Long Live Rosie!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Harry, you're sweet. Jerry, flattery will get you everywhere ;)

N-B -- I agree, muscles suit some women. And, you know, some of us actually use our muscles for things other than display -- if I was a powder puff, I would never have survived some of the archaeological work I've done.

Oh, a little OT, but Jerry -- it never came up because you never asked! It's right there in my profile after "archaeologist" :p

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I just want to say that madonna doesn't looke that manly. I think BODY builders are the manliest women and I think that, at least to me, is not even like a woman. Too much testosterone. Otherwise, I think girls are find. I personally am not pleased with girls with no muscle. That's just too weak. I'm not into girls, but my boyfriend feels this way too.

varga49

One of the Regulars
I like women....

a lot..." I like a woman who smiles and laughs with her eyes as if she knows she is the sexiest woman on the planet! It's in the eyes gentlemen! :D

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Its interesting to go into detail over some female preferences. I used to work for an airline where 80% + staff were female and generally quite glamorous. I very much remember a conversation over perfumes and mens colognes. A couple of the girls said they prefered to wear mens colognes as they smelt nicer than the female ones and were less overpowering. We went into the reasons and it appeared (generally agreed by all the females there at the time) that sometimes the acceptability of women to wear whatever they want, be it clothing or scents, goes awry from the original purpose. The wearers liked the smell of the male colognes for the reasons stated above but didnt want to attract women or appear masculine, however they had basically just exercised their right to do what they will without going beyond the "it smells nice so Ill wear it" They hadnt gone far enough to think, ok it smells good because it smells male, therefore it is designed to smell good to me, not on me. Its the contrast of a man wearing a femenine scent because he likes the smell. It just simply does not attract women because it isnt designed to appeal in that way. In fact it serves no purpose whatsoever. Sure it might send a message to a gay man, but it wont attract women in itself, nor will it attract men just because of the smell. Its the same with some masculine clothes. Sure women can wear just about anything but some things just arent attractive to men and dont work towards the purpose the woman is aiming for. I dont mean this to be a sexist comment, its just that the reasoning gets confused when theres no bar to choice and the desired result is actually contrary to what was intended in the first place.
The same confusion goes for bodies. Women are attracted to a masculine physique, its a simple genetic program to ensure we procreate, as a man is attracted to the femenine. Simple genetics. I think the same applies to males nowadays as it does females, but not as much so. Some women, as well as some men, will view the opposite sex and see something attractive and somehow attribute an asexual attractiveness. A female will think muscles sexy and so develop them thinking carte blanche they are sexy. The physique apes the male and therefore doesnt work no matter how much the creator desires it to. Same as males adopting femenine manerisms as they see them as attractive. Attractiveness is not asexual and it doesnt cross the gender boundary. When it does, it shuts off the desired effect. Obviously there are many exceptions and many other reasons but so far as being attractive or observed to be femenine or masculine, its generally the case that there are differences for a reason. Of course some women will develop muscles out of artistic or sporting neccesity but as its not designed to be a boost to the opposite sex it doesnt fall into this equation. Just as some men develop a femenine physique to do some sporting or artistic purpose. Just my observation.

Jessica

One of the Regulars
varga49 said:
a lot..." I like a woman who smiles and laughs with her eyes as if she knows she is the sexiest woman on the planet! It's in the eyes gentlemen! :D
Ooooh. I like that. What a wonderful comment.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Slightly defined muscle tone is fine but overdefinition puts them into the competition class for me. Soft may be fine but the problem is soft turns to flab quite easily.
Belly.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21