Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worth & Worth hat shop...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Went in for a quick ribbon pit stop. This is one of my favorite places in town. (iPhone shots)

280eb79c.jpg

3d88d7d1.jpg

Some colorful felts for the ladies or those who can pull them off! Along with some incredible Montecristis.
620332e2.jpg

Last edited:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Looks like they've renovated since I was there last year. (Hard for me to believe it's been almost an entire year now!) I remember the shop like the back of my hand... Montecristi case to the right as you enter, a little past that is the fold-out triple mirror; and further is the entrance to the office. Directly ahead of the entrance is a large shelving unit full of hats; straws and boaters to the left of the unit. To the right is another unit; lots of greys were over there along with a couple top hats.

To the left of the entrance is the spot for some of the womens' hats, and while I was there, mannequins decked out in examples of their clothing line. Do they still sell clothing there?

Anyways, this is how it used to be. There's now a table full of tweed hats in front of the shelves, and the round table that used to be stacked with vintage hat boxes and memorabilia now has a bunch of fedoras on it. Looks like their collection of hat ads has grown, and has the wallpaper always been that green? I don't recall that red velvet chair being off to the side there, in the first picture. And the Jiffy steamer has migrated to the other corner of the room.

Remembering all of these details has me reliving my trip to NYC... I miss it there.

Are they still selling that fantastic grey color with the lavender tones? I remember it being called Naval Grey, according to Brandon.

Cheers,

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
The store is on the 6th floor, by the way. It's higher up than I think I've ever been, here around the border between Michigan's farm lands and the city of Detroit.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Orlando has re-decorated the shop to allow more hats to fit in and to give it a nicer flow.
I think I saw a naval gray today. Might have been a homburg though.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It looks like Victoria's Secret, but with hats - sponge painting, ribbons hanging out of drawers, Victorian wallpaper. I have no experience with the shop or its hats, but I'd walk right by if I saw it, thinking it was more of a kitchy resale shop. It's the hats that count, but I like the workshop look of an Optimo or Gary White.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
It looks like Victoria's Secret, but with hats - sponge painting, ribbons hanging out of drawers, Victorian wallpaper. I have no experience with the shop or its hats, but I'd walk right by if I saw it, thinking it was more of a kitchy resale shop. It's the hats that count, but I like the workshop look of an Optimo or Gary White.

This is the store front. The back, where Orlando has the tools, the blocks and all the hat stuff, looks just like GW. Not as big as Graham's but as old and as messy as any hat maker's bench. You wouldn't be able to walk right by it anyway. The shop is hidden, way up. It's one of NYC's secrets. I like your sense of humor, lefty but comparing the shop to a cheap chain shop like Victoria's Secret, it's a bit in bad taste. Kitchy decor? sure, I can agree with that.

Last edited:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
It looked much more sedate as I remember it. I'd have to say the green wallpaper is not my favorite, by any means. And the hats have multiplied... In these new pictures, they're all over the place.

When I was in the showroom, I was reminded of a fine shoe department; shelves empty save for one or two of each hat to observe and try on, and the rest in the back. I'd say, "I like that one", and Brandon would run in the back office to see if he could find one in my size, if it wasn't already out.

It looks like all the hats are laid out now, and the shelves are twice as full as I remember. I have one picture of the shop from when I was there, but it's got my mug in it so I won't post it here.

Brandon gave me a tour of the back when I stepped in, and yes, it reminds me of any of the others' workstations from what I've seen of Art's and Graham's places. Old tools, blocks, felt bodies everywhere...

Cheers,

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about "bad taste" for an aesthetic disagreement. To me, the place looks like a place to buy tea or a corset, but that's just how I see it.

Like I said, it's the hats that count.

BTW, I should have started with this, but, thanks for the pics. Whether I like the style of the shop or not, I always appreciate hat shop photos.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I think the shelves are that full 'cause they just got their spring hats. Some will go in the back, I guess.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
When I was in the showroom, I was reminded of a fine shoe department; shelves empty save for one or two of each hat to observe and try on, and the rest in the back.
That was the setup at their former location on Madison.

olliefoxtail

New in Town
I went to Worth and Worth the last time I was in NY after seeing a small write up on the shop in Rolling Stones. I bought a great Homberg made out of European wild hair. Beautiful hat, and a great shop. I saw mostly different styles of fedoras, bowler, and hombergs. I am sure he has many other styles that I am forgetting. You can look up his hats at his web page.

Ollie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael