Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Khaki Trousers - Originals and Reproductions

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
felled seams?

OK, I dont have any actual WWII khakis. Just some postwar examples that have pattern dates from Jan45.
So I checked them for felled seams last nite.
One pair did. Hawks & Buck manufactured them.

But the rest had regular seams.

My OD M43 cotton field trousers have felled seams.

And I have a repro of some USMC hbt utility trousers that have felled seams.

Chris Huff

New in Town
I really like my Old Navy loose-fit khakis. They aren't quite "vintage" or authentic WWII, and the seams aren't unusual, but they have the right loose fit, and the right fabric texture, and the watch pocket. They look good pressed and starched, and feel great all day. I had some WWII khaki's about 25 years ago, the kind that was available at any Army/Navy Surplus store, and these feel more like those than anything else I've had since, for under $30.00 per pair.

CH

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Thanks to Mr.Bern I I have a 50's pair from from a 40's contract patter, a pair of Ralph Lauren repros and my K-1s to look over. I have also seen a few pairs of the WWII impressions and so far think the WWII impressions have a leg up for their flat felled seams. I'll take some pics and give more detail.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
You might also want to check out the "vintage" khakis from JC Penney. I have heard they have many of the same attributes as the Bill's but they only cost $15.

jake431

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
Thanks to Mr.Bern I I have a 50's pair from from a 40's contract patter, a pair of Ralph Lauren repros and my K-1s to look over. I have also seen a few pairs of the WWII impressions and so far think the WWII impressions have a leg up for their flat felled seams. I'll take some pics and give more detail.

Please do - I'm eager to see how their legs match originals. I want to see no taper!

-Jake

zeus36

A-List Customer
Vladimir Berkov said:
You might also want to check out the "vintage" khakis from JC Penney. I have heard they have many of the same attributes as the Bill's but they only cost $15.

I've done a search for the Penny's vintage khakis, but no luck. Just the current flat front pair. Do you have a link?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I tried on a pair of Bill's MP1s. They were too baggy. It added 10-15 pounds to my look...which I need like a fish needs a bicycle. So, I tried on a pair of MP2s. That was much better. I had them order them for me in British Khaki. I gave them a washing first then had them hemmed. The results? I think they are nice and well made...but not really worth a C note. I think I can find simular pants for less. It would be worth it if the really baggy ones looked good, but this is not that different than other pants I have.

wharrell

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:
From what I have seen the Bill's are the least accurate of the repro companies... WWII impressions look spot on from the outside, seams and belt loop placement and such.

However, the WWII Impressions are not cut nearly as full as the original WWII Khaki. The Bill's Khaki (M1), is cut fuller all over especially in the thigh, the crotch and the rise.

M1 Bill's is the one. Get the Button Fly.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I don't think US WW2 trousers are cut very full at all- especially compared to other trousers of the '30s/'40s. I have more than a few pairs in wool and khaki. You oughta try the 1917 pattern khakis- extra wide. I have seen them repro'ed by Levis before. Massively wide.

The WW2 HBTs and other fatigue/work type trousers are much wider than the service variety trousers, ie wool serge, cav. twill and khaki. Try the USN dungarees and USArmy HBTs (to a lesser extent)for baggy. All are tapered in the leg-
to at least some degree, I believe.

Maybe people trying the actual WW2 trousers will also be very disappointed in the cut- compared to this idea of WW2-wideness that seems to be going around...

B
T

grant

Familiar Face
WWII KHAKI TROUSERS

A good friend of mine was able to get me a pair of the Buzz Rickson 1942 khaki trousers from Japan. These are probably the finest reproduction khaki trousers I've seen since I bought a pair of the old MASH M-41 trousers. From the metal US Army button fly, spot on beige/ khaki color, government spec label, correct high waist cut, wide cut legs with no taper to the deep cotton drill pockets these are really amazing reproducitons. Here's the link to the website where they were ordered from:

http://www.mil-mil.net/jeans/toyo/trousers.html

Grant

jake431

Practically Family
grant said:
A good friend of mine was able to get me a pair of the Buzz Rickson 1942 khaki trousers from Japan. These are probably the finest reproduction khaki trousers I've seen since I bought a pair of the old MASH M-41 trousers. From the metal US Army button fly, spot on beige/ khaki color, government spec label, correct high waist cut, wide cut legs with no taper to the deep cotton drill pockets these are really amazing reproducitons. Here's the link to the website where they were ordered from:

http://www.mil-mil.net/jeans/toyo/trousers.html

Grant

I'd like to second Grants post - as I got a pair at the same time; he just beat me to posting!

-Jake

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I have a pair of the Buzz Rickson khakis from Milwaukee as well. They are very easy people to order from. Don't use their order form, email them directly. As they use a translation program to read your email, make sure it is as simple and grammatically correct as possible. Just tell 'em what you want in what size and where you live, then they'll let you know if it's in stock and send you an invoice. They accept payment throigh PayPal. They're very quick to respond to your qustions and ship VERY quickly. The guy you'll probably be dealing with is called Mario Kenjo.
Regarding the goods themselves, smashing stuff. The trousers sit about two inches above the navel and the legs are grand canyon wide through the cuffs. The unwashed beige khaki is almost as heavy as the Filson tin cloth. These will take serious abuse.
Long live Buzz.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
ralph lauren

Hey Deckard,
I was in th Bloomingdales RL shop & noticed a small pile of their high end WWII khakis. But with a difference. These werent marked RRL, but they had a tag indicating they were from th Madison Ave shop for the princely sum of $145.
As always, interesting to see their take on vintage items. These are full cut & have military stampings & spec markings in the waistband. Oh, did I forget to mention that they were all frayed & covered in splatterings of blue & white pant? Yes perfect recreations of the type of surplus pant that won the war, then renovated the kitchen....
pPOLO2-2744951_standard_dt.jpg

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
The Buzz Ricksons look good. I've kind of been sitting on the fence deciding which way to go, but I want a pair of WWII style khakis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran