Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You New Englanders have Class

farnham54

A-List Customer
I am speaking, of course, of the Montreal vs Boston Hockey Playoff series. Now I know many of you are probobly not hockey fans, but this has little to do with the sport.

As with any sporting event, both of the team's national anthems are sung before the game, both flags very visible. the Montreal Canadians hosted the Boston Bruins in Montreal, Quebec. At the outset of the game, the anthems were sung.

The Montreal fans booed like there was no tomorrow when the American national anthem was played. This, in my opinion, was completley unacceptable. Even Canada's favorite commentator, Don Cherry, made note of it. He said "I guarantee when the Habs go to Boston this will not happen, because those Bostoners have too much class" or words to that effect.

Sure enough, the series moved to Boston a few games later. Not only did Boston not boo the Canadian anthem when it was played, they in fact cheered the roof off of the arena. That is classy, respectful, and Canada should quite frankly be ashamed of this act of poor sportsmanship.

I've had people tell me that "the Americans started it in such and such a game of such and such a series!". In my mind, it doesn't matter who starts it--each incident is completley unnessecary, and Boston has shown that you don't need to retaliate disrespectfully each time.

So, I tip my Fedora to you, Boston and America. You guys have class, and bring a bit of that to the ice with you when you play.

Regards,

Craig

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
In my travels Boston was one of the friendliest(EDIT HAHA) I?Ǭ¥ve ever been in. I guess I?Ǭ¥ll never go to Montreal.

Our bishop is from Boston and though he didn?Ǭ¥t concur, he said that Boston is unique and to take it for what it is.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Well I've never been to Boston personally, but based on what I saw on the CBC the other night, the Bostoner's are OK in my books--if nothing else, their hockey fans are good ambassadors for their city.

Regards,

Craig

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My neighbor

flew to Boston two weeks ago to visit her sister. She said that it is a great city, old history, great restaurants and pubs, and the people are nice.

I have seen a lot of the area in Boston only via TV, with a lot done on the PBS show "This Old House" where most projects are done.

I love the look and feel, but don't want to feel the look: SNOW and WINTER. I am a spoiled Bay Area native!

And I agree, just because one game or season had rude fans, doesn't mean we should also do it. Well said.

Dalexs

Practically Family
Wasn't it John Candy who once did a movie about invading Canada???

I seem to think this isn't the first time Montreal fans have done this either (not necessarily to Boston).

I used to get such a ration of sh*t from my fellow Pacific Northwest employees (all of whom are WAY too polite for my tastes) over an article that came out a few years ago. Boston was rated the Number 1 Rudest city in America!
GO BOSTON! (Heck, I'm from Jersey anyways, I just live here...)

I dont know anyone whos ever visited the city and not had good things to say about it.

Dalexs

farnham54

A-List Customer
Unfortunatley, the Bruin's got knocked out by the Canadiens. Not deserving, in my opinion, despite the comback. The poor sportsmanship of the fans, as well as Robero and Kovalev faking injuries to draw penalties, is very poor form in ANY sports club, and should invalidate such a club from any playoff running.

Better luck next year Boston.

Regards,

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran