Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your all time fav Leather Jacket (1-2) you own or have owned

I would amend my post as well. My Windward also remains my top shelf jacket but I would put this Californian in above the Vanson, purely because I will wear it more, 1&2 reloaded:
9EC3F973-C655-429E-842B-1FE41E5A56A3.jpeg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would have to say my IHJ-54 deserves this title for the simple fact that it is the jacket I most often grab when walking out the door.
52AB939C-CAC2-44B9-A200-EAEC1E263894.jpeg

Its funny because I have plenty of jackets that I like more but this one is so comfortable and easy to wear that it has earned it’s place in my collection.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
@El Marro When i saw you posted I was very curious to see what you’d picked. You’ve got a deep bench. I’m surprised/not surprised. Surprised: You didn’t give that one your highest praise Initially. Not surprised: The pattern on those is outstanding. The leather, please describe it. I lack the vocabulary. I wish everyone on TFL could be mailed a swatch. It’s so amazing.

El Marro

@Bfd70 I was a little surprised myself because I do have a pretty serious collection and you are correct that I was underwhelmed by this one when it arrived.
At the end of the day I had to admit that this is the one that gets the most wear by far, and therefore it stands the best chance of breaking in, wearing in, and showing the character that we love in our vintage jackets.
You are spot on that the pattern is almost perfect, a trim fit yet comfortable with full range of motion. As far as the leather goes, I don’t think I can do any better than you when it comes to capturing it with words. It is thick and spongy, yet almost as soft as lambskin. It does very well in the rain. Another thing I appreciate is that although it is a tea core jacket it is really taking its time shedding the topcoat and showing the brown underneath, only at the high wear areas around the zipper and the sleeves. I prefer this to something that looks 10 years old after a couple months wear.

Manolito

Familiar Face
My classic flight jacket Schott 674 (the version with no sherpa lining and collar). Super confortable, super resistant, super well built, classical with not too many fancy finitions (something the 184 is bit guilty of), you can dress it up, you can dress it down, you can wear it everywhere you will never look out of place. It's not super expensive (700 € in France brand new these days, and there are second handed ones everywhere around the world for cheap) ; this is such a classic, well balanced jacket. You look good, but you don't look like you are trying hard or playing a part that is not yours.

It's a jacket you want to wear to go out and go see the world !

And my sherling Schott 257. I just love when it's quite cold in winter (0°C or less), I just want to put this jacket and go for a great long walk in the snow. Good looking, super breathable, super confortable and easy to live with, and yet so special !

I love my Schotts !

MrProper

I have no all time favorite respectively that changes often. Most I currently wear my Natural Sheene and the Vicenza Ridley. But that will certainly change soon.

sweetfights

Last edited:

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
My two current favourites...........one gets a lot of wear and the other is so luxurious I am almost afraid to touch it.

Attachments

• Apprentice Bootlegger.JPG
    Apprentice Bootlegger.JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 556
  • Apprentice Bootlegger Rear.JPG
    Apprentice Bootlegger Rear.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 566
  • Longshoreman.JPG
    Longshoreman.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 562
  • Longshoreman Rear .JPG
    Longshoreman Rear .JPG
    344.7 KB · Views: 576

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Who made that brown mouton collared jacket?!!? Super cool!
Is that a modified HWM!??
It is an Aero Longshoreman that was on Aero's 'used' jacket page a few years ago.It looks like it was worn once or twice and then hung up somewhere in a glass case.I will have to check but I think it was one of Julie Leitch's masterworks and probably from a time when you could specify a detachable mouton collar....I always fancied a Thunderbay but this worked for me!

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Admittedly I only own two nice leather jackets :rolleyes:

This has been a year of trail and error. I think I’ve learned that unfortunately the Japanese brands don’t fit me.

I struck gold and adore this GW Hercules Horween Mustang I bought here from @jonesy86. I’ve also decided that my Himel Bros Imperial shinki, probably fits alright afterall… I
36C6E227-EBE6-42A8-9352-3B8774FC26F8.jpeg
F433E966-17B0-43DF-B2FD-C669A64914C7.jpeg
think it’s a keeper:)

Edward

Bartender
Tough choice. For sheer sentimentality's sake, there are two crosszips that were especially special. One was my first leather jacket way back in 1990 (there must be photos somewhere, likely with me in long hair.... not digitised yet, though). The other was another cross-zip, my second such, that was a regular wearer, then briefly served as a Scorpions jacket when my Rock Horror crew took on Grease, then as of 2006 took its final form - sleeves removed and several additions to serve as Eddie's jacket in a replication of that year's Rocky Horror Show tour costume. Still have it. Also have a very 1973 leather blazer that my mum bought that year before I was born as a present for my dad. Paid £49, apparently - big money back then, £630.55 in 2021 money, according to the BoE. That has a sentimental value to it. Dad never wore it, it was always just a little too small on him and not quite his style, but I wore it loads back in University days. We called it the Carlito coat after the one Pacino wore in Carlito's Way, though it's blazer length - his was longer, if memory serves. I suspect I looked more Jarvis Cocker in it than Pacino....

As to real favourites I have now, my Aero Bootlegger is right up there. Probably the most 'flexible' of all my leathers, even, due to its colour (cordovan) edging ahead of my Highwayman. I'm sure there are more due, certainly one or two that on paper may be competing for what I'll be wearing when they lay me in the longboat and set fire to it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ