Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Paintings

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Here's one by Jean Metzinger I particularly like:

JeanMetzinger-TablebyaWindow1917.jpg

BTW, I like every work posted on this thread thus far. Great stuff.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
sir-alfred-munnings-taggs-island.jpg
[/IMG]

This is one of my favorite paintings by one of me favorite artists, Sir Alfred Munnings,who is best know for his paintings of horses. He was blind in one eye from having bent over a bramble hedge to free a dog's paw and got a thorn stuck in his eye. He went on to become the president of the Royal Academy. If you are able to visit Castle House museum in Dedham in East Anglia, it hangs there in the building that used to be his home. His hunting paintings are really extraordinary. Interestingly, there used to be a huge collection of his racing paintings at the Santa Anita Race track in the Chandelier Room, where they filmed scenes for Seabiscuit. The originals were sorld but there are decent reproductions hanging in their place.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Ah, the good ones are always married.... ;)

:) I got him the Nighthawks print for Valentine's Day soon after we met. The first time I saw his apartment I was thinking to myself "Did he just move in a couple of weeks ago?" - there wasn't one picture on the wall (two paltry family photos in the hall console) - turns out he had been there for years - years! So naturally I had to do something about it - hence the Hopper.

Effingham

A-List Customer
:) I got him the Nighthawks print for Valentine's Day soon after we met. The first time I saw his apartment I was thinking to myself "Did he just move in a couple of weeks ago?" - there wasn't one picture on the wall (two paltry family photos in the hall console) - turns out he had been there for years - years! So naturally I had to do something about it - hence the Hopper.

Kind of similar sitch here. I've been here for almost a whole year now, and I'm only now starting to get things up on the wall. It took a long time to start thinking of what I want and where I want it (heh...) so I've been taking my time.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I found this one on a postcard but couldn't see who the artist was - it is of one of the 'Flying P' Line ships of the house of F. Laeisz from Hamburg. I intend to buy the postcard at the end of the month (and then in the process might be able to find more about it):

ship-1.jpg

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
George Bellows- Dempsey and Firpo, 1924

GeorgeBellows-DempseyandFirdpo1924.jpg

I remember seeing this for the first time in one of those "American Heritage" volumes. It was at our (tiny) local library, around 1979-80.

Jay

Practically Family
Charles Sheeler Windows, 1952
Charles-Sheeler-Windows-1952-large-1173583112.jpg

This one always spoke to me. Reminds me of the looming craziness of the city I guess.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Back in high school I remember the Final for our art class was on Andrew Wyeth. :)

I work across the street from the Wyeth Center of the Universe, The Farnsworth Art Museum -- the Wyeth clan is the fulcrum of our local economy. One used to catch a glimpse of Andrew buying a hot dog with mustard and onions at the local stand.

My favorite Wyeth? The Patriot.

wyeth-patriot.jpg

Sgt. Ralph Cline, the Patriot in person, used to be a fixture at our local Memorial Day parades.

rcline4.jpg

Attachments

• wyeth-patriot.jpg
    wyeth-patriot.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 218

kyboots

Practically Family
This is just such a wonderful thread for all of us. Even if we don't put our favorite paintings up here we can just enjoy the ones that are here. I really do! I will get some here soon. If anyone has a favorite story or thoughts about their painting this would be great and it is the time to hear those stories. Everyone loves Vermeer---John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko