Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Sandwiches?

VaderSS

New in Town
The Rueben is my favorite "available everywhere" sandwich. It's also one of the only sandwiches I can order without modification.

My alltime favorite if the Cajun Roast Beef sandwich at Pronia's Deli in Lake Charles, Louisiana. It is a roastbeef sandwich on muffalata style bread, with provalone cheese, sweet-hot pickles, mayonaise, and a flavorful, but not overly spicy gravy with a hint of tomato. This is another I don't have to modify.

After that, the Daryl's Special, from Daryl's bar in Lake Charles, a Ham, turkey, and roast beef sandwich with a flavorful light brown gravy and jalapeno mayonaise. I have to order this one without lettuce or tomato. Very messy, but very good.

VaderSS

New in Town
Fletch said:
And what's that bread like? It's flat, round, and white, right?

Yes. More dense with more flavor than most white breads though. THe loaf is about an 1 1/2" thick and (I'd guess) 8-10" in diameter. They cut the loaf in 1/2 for poboys or you can buy it whole, 1/2 or 1/4 for Muffaletas. I understand they are the best muffaleta in Lake Charles, but I've never had one. Can't past the cajun... Gonna' have to stop on my way in...

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
I must say, the grilled cheese sandwich is man's greatest invention. Since I was a wee lad, the grilled cheese has provided me with sustenance almost daily. Without it I would perish!

Matt

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
i've just made myself a reuben (i live in the north-ish of scotland and therefore have no chance of ever getting a real one ) and i have to say ...MY GOD YOU PEOPLE HAVE IT GOOD .

whoever thought of those ingredients going together is a genius , in fact when i told my daughters what i was doing they replied in unison "THAT IS DISGUSTING" :D

tell me more about your deeeelish sandwiches

carter

I'll Lock Up
Roasted Turkey on Jewish Rye w/ Baby Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, jalapeno pepper slices, and chipotle tabasco sauce. My son invented this. He is a native Texan.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Jack Scorpion said:
How about the Monte Christo? -- now that's a weird vintage American sandwich.

When this thread popped back to the top today...I was going to mention this....but here you have already.

I am honor bound to order a MC at any remaining places that serve it....to encourage them to keep it on the menu.

Strawberry jam is a -must- however.

probably my favorite -hot- sandwich....I should really just make them at home...but mmmm its bliss...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Love a good Monte. Well, loved - the diabeetus doesn't allow such rich grub these days.

What's the novel where one character says to another over lunch: "Be sure to dip your Monte Cristo in the grape jam, Mr. -----. It improves the flavor." ???

carter

I'll Lock Up
A grilled cheese, sharpest cheddar available on extra-strong sourdough, accompanied by tomato soup, for one half of the tie.

mmmmm...Great cool weather grub! C'mon Autumn!

a genuine made-in-a-little-neighborhood-shop-in-Philly "three-cheese" cheesesteak

OH YEAH! I don't remember the name but there's a famous shop on a street in Philly where we stood in line one cold evening to get a Philly. There was a huge grill covered in meat and the guy making the sandwiches was getting cheez whiz from a big container. I'll take the peppers but hold the onions. Yum Yum. :)

Let's eat!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss Crisplock said:
Oh boy! I am going to Disneyland today - were the Monte Christo was invented. I think I better have one and report back!

Thats actually just who made it famous.....places like the Brown Derby and other LA restaurants had it on the menu in the 1940s.

Blue Bayou opened in 1966.....so while they are the most well known Monte Cristo place, it existed before.

And since its a take on a french sandwich anyhow....

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
The Hat, here in Southern California, makes a great pastrami. Bread, meat, mustard and pickle. . . That's all it needs. :)

I also love a good ham sandwich, with or without cheese, with or without lettuce, tomato, pickle etc. It's also one of the few sandwiches on which I'll allow mayonaise (turkey is another).

And since a burger is technically a sandwich, any IN & OUT burger. There is no better.

Lee

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
MrNewportCustom said:
The Hat, here in Southern California, makes a great pastrami. Bread, meat, mustard and pickle. . . That's all it needs. :)

I also love a good ham sandwich, with or without cheese, with or without lettuce, tomato, pickle etc. It's also one of the few sandwiches on which I'll allow mayonaise (turkey is another).

Lee

I live down the street from a The Hat...oddly enough, I rarely eat there.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
I prefer mayo on wheat...with peanut butter, preferably crunchy. mmmmm...........

You're but the second person I've known to like that sandwich. The first is my mother. :D

In my opinion, a more nauseating comestible I cannot imagine. :confused:

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner